walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise - cracking day!!

Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise - cracking day!!

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 18/09/2015

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 1196m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast for most parts of the country was pretty good so for a change it wasn't a case of weather chasing which meant I was left with way too much choice. I plumped for these two hills as I didn't need to think about stalking/checking with estates so could just rollup and go for it.

I arrived in the car park just before 9am, applied the midge protection (I had a wander up to the ski centre before putting the boots on and they seemed to be congregating there while the car park wasn't too bad) and headed off between the various buildings and finding the track that runs parallel with the ski tow.

The first part of this walk feels like a bit of a trudge, the views are all behind you and the climb on a decent path is fairly steep and stony with a lot of ski equipment around.

1.jpg
Looking down on the Ski Centre and Car Park

The good news is that the trudge doesn't take too long and suddenly I arrived on the plateau with the views opening up in all directions.

2.jpg
First view of Creise

3.jpg
And the first view of Meall a'Bhuiridh

4.jpg
Looking out over Rannoch Moor

The track turns straight right and crosses a burn on a dodgy looking bridge and as the path petered out I headed west before turning and heading up the north ridge of MaB. Initially there was the outline of a track but somewhere on the climb I lost it and just took my own route up.

5.jpg
Creise, now clear of low cloud

6.jpg
The Big B - 1st of many pics

7.jpg
Looking down

I found the climb up MaB fairly straight forward and the gradient wasn't too difficult so I made decent time up to the top.

8.jpg
Another Big B

9.jpg
Happy Valley?

10.jpg
at the top

11.jpg
Last of the low cloud looking across to the south top of Creise

I had a 5 minute break at the top and looked down the ridge and over to the climb up Creise - it looked "interesting". The south top of Creise also seemed to look a lot higher than the north top bit it isn't (or maybe safer to say it isn't at the moment but who knows in the future).

12.jpg

13.jpg

The drop down of Ma'B was straight fowrad and from the bealach the climb up on to the wide ridge of Creise didn't look as difficult as it did from the top of Ma'B. Quite quickly I was on the ridge with a straight forward walk along the wide ridge to the top at the north end of the hill.

14.jpg
Looking along the ridge to the summit of Creise

15.jpg
Looking back to Ma'B

The walk over to the top of Creise was great as the views to the west had now opened up and were stunning.

16.jpg
Looking back along the ridge to the bealach

17.jpg
All the tops seem to be clear in all directions

18.jpg

19.jpg

I spent 5 minutes at the top mainly taking pictures in all directions, what a viewpoint Creise is. I had thought about heading over to the south top but in the end decided to save the legs as I would be heading out again the next morning so headed back down to the bealach and the climb back up to the summit of Ma'B.

20.jpg
Looking over to Creise

21.jpg
The last climb back up to the top of Ma'B

Ten minutes for a quick break at the top of Ma'B just taking in the views and I headed back down on a path I wasn't able to find on the way up.

22.jpg
Busy day for the helicopter moving stuff up and down the hill

On the way down I headed over to the top of Creag Dhubh as it was only a very minor detour and it looked like it could be a good view point - I was glad I did.

23.jpg
The Big B again

24.jpg
And again

The descent down to the ski area was quite tough on the legs and I was glad when I was down and back at the car. A brilliant day to be out in the hills, just bloomin brilliant.

All that was left was to stop and take the standard tourist shot.

25.jpg

Tracy, if you happen to read this, loved your photo in TGO :clap: :clap: :clap:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise - cracking day!!

Postby ancancha » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Nice Gordie :clap:
Good to have an enjoyable day :D
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dogplodder » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Reading this makes me so want to do it and I'll probably use your report as part of my persuasive strategy.... :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Silverhill » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:44 pm

A great report with lovely pictures. The grass is already turning into that warm autumnal yellowish green and that view over Rannoch Moor is just superb! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Good views and weather. Wonder if we'll get many more days like that this year.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:32 pm

ancancha wrote:Nice Gordie :clap:
Good to have an enjoyable day :D

Hi ancancha - days like that are few and far between. It's definitely one that will stay in the memory bank for a long time.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:34 pm

dogplodder wrote:Reading this makes me so want to do it and I'll probably use your report as part of my persuasive strategy.... :wink:

Once clear of the ski tow area you will love it dogplodder.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Silverhill wrote:A great report with lovely pictures. The grass is already turning into that warm autumnal yellowish green and that view over Rannoch Moor is just superb! :D

Thanks Silverhill - winter is just round the corner.

I've had a few great views of Rannoch Moor this year and I love seeing the thousands of tiny little lochans dotted all over the place.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:37 pm

litljortindan wrote:Good views and weather. Wonder if we'll get many more days like that this year.

I hope so litljortindan - so many hills to climb, I need some good weekends before the white stuff arrives.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Oooh lovely :D Nice to see you enjoyed this duo! I still remember these two, especially the "arete" between them. It was still pretty snowy when we did it and I was worried about overhangs on Creise side, but we were just about all right. The summits are good viewpoints and even with the trudge from the ski centre, still a great route.

Last weekend we visited our first hill since Kevin's injury. A small one to start with, but it looks like we're back for good :lol: . Fingers crossed we get more Indian summer weather like that...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Oooh lovely :D Nice to see you enjoyed this duo! I still remember these two, especially the "arete" between them. It was still pretty snowy when we did it and I was worried about overhangs on Creise side, but we were just about all right. The summits are good viewpoints and even with the trudge from the ski centre, still a great route.

Last weekend we visited our first hill since Kevin's injury. A small one to start with, but it looks like we're back for good :lol: . Fingers crossed we get more Indian summer weather like that...

Thanks BP - I did wonder what the walk between the two hills would be like in the winter - very different from my conditions.
Gordie12
Wanderer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland