walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First visit in 7 years(and first Steaming Boots since April)

First visit in 7 years(and first Steaming Boots since April)

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Route description: Creagan na Beinne, Ardtalnaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Creagan na Beinne

Date walked: 19/09/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2008 September was the last time I visited Glen Almond. It was September and Creagan na Beinne was summited after a cycle up the Glen. Prior to this I used to visit upper Glen Almond relatively frequently, whether it was for a nice stroll or a winter hike (that involved cycling up to Achnafree on compact snow/Ice !!). We even had school trips up here to visit the old shielings and other school trips that the school didn’t know about (skiving up the Glen!).

Video report below:

Anyway it’s taken an injury and a requirement for an easier day out (needed to be on the bike) for me to return here. I’m almost embarrassed as I only live 20 minutes away! However I was not disappointed by the wait. This Glen is a beauty and even more stunning in the conditions I had today.

I made it to Newton Bridge just after sunrise but the encircling hills of the Sma Glen to the East blocked the sun from reaching Glen Almond. I stopped and set up the cameras as I witnessed the shadows of the night being eaten away by the rising fire ball to the East. The mists that were lying low across the field evaporated and the temperature soon rose to make it feel like a late summer day and not a winters morning as it had 20 minutes earlier…..

ImageMorning light grows (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The weather was stunning and the cycle very enjoyable. I took my time, taking lots of pictures and videos…. I started to think what the views would be like from the tops… maybe I could cycle up ? This would enable a cycle back down and no weight bearing on my knee… mmmmmmm – the weather so good!

Imagebothy (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imageriver almond (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

By the time I reached Achnafree I was down to my T shirt – slightly different to the woolly hat and gloves required at Newton Bridge… The low sun was showing off the Glacial features nicely and sign boards explaining various facts about the Glen proved a nice touch so far up the Glen.

Imageupper glenalmond drumlins monochrome (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

About a kilometre shy of Dalriech a decision was made. A glance at the map and I decided to cycle up to Sron a’ Chaoinedh at 868m, or give it my best shot anyways. I would return via Lechrea hill, if I made it to the top!!! I took my time and had lots of breaks. Ben Chonzie looked a stone’s throw away on the other side of the Glen and was rather magnificent. As I gained height I could tell some individuals who may have been ascending mountains to the west were in for a stunner. The cloud hung low in the valleys with the Peak poking through… No inversion here just clear, crisp sunshine. The clarity was superb today. A quick break at point 868m and another decision was made. I needed to head up Creagan na Beinne – the views were too good to not head up. I eventually found myself sat on the summit looking over to Schiehallion and the Lawers group over Loch Tay. A fine view point…

ImageSummit (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Usually I don’t look forward to descents but today was one of the most amazing descents off a mountain I’ve experienced. Hope the video does it justice. The views coming off Lechrea hill were great. A speedy descent was then enjoyed after the disc pads were tested coming off the hill. A fine day and I won’t be leaving it seven years before visiting again!!!

ImageTaking it in by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: First visit in 7 years(and first Steaming Boots since Ap

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Stunning return to the hills so glad your back with your video's
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi wilkiemurray - great report and photos.

I've been in this glen loads of times as my parents lived in Crieff and I would often stop at Newton Bridge and head up the glen. Whether it was a couple of miles or right through to Loch Tay it was always enjoyable.

A bit of a first, when doing The Rob Roy Way in May I left Glen Almond and walked through Glen Lochan and down to Amulree. For all the times I had been in the area I had never walked through this glen, really narrow and interesting.

As I say, great report and brings back great memories.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Silverhill » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:03 pm

A great video with a time lapse to boot. 8) Did you film part of it with a drone?
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:55 pm

Great video. Bad news to be injured but dare I say there can be a silver lining in having to look for options not normally considered. Well you've maybe kind of said that already!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Impressive stuff :thumbup:
Sunset tripper

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:59 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Stunning return to the hills so glad your back with your video's

Tanks GLW still waiting on surgery hence use of bike but was absolutely fantastic to be in the hills again certainly helped clear the mind and restore balance to the force ;)

ATB
Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:00 am

Gordie12 wrote:Hi wilkiemurray - great report and photos.

I've been in this glen loads of times as my parents lived in Crieff and I would often stop at Newton Bridge and head up the glen. Whether it was a couple of miles or right through to Loch Tay it was always enjoyable.

A bit of a first, when doing The Rob Roy Way in May I left Glen Almond and walked through Glen Lochan and down to Amulree. For all the times I had been in the area I had never walked through this glen, really narrow and interesting.

As I say, great report and brings back great memories.

I will have to look into Glen Lochan next time - sound like a great hike :D

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:03 am

Silverhill wrote:A great video with a time lapse to boot. 8) Did you film part of it with a drone?

Thanks Silverhill :)

Yes filmed part of it with my new toy :) Still trying to figure out best way to use it but was happy with it for first proper outing (a great wee gadget!)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:04 am

litljortindan wrote:Great video. Bad news to be injured but dare I say there can be a silver lining in having to look for options not normally considered. Well you've maybe kind of said that already!

Indeed :) Forgot how beautiful this area is, will be back with family in tow next time me thinks :)

atb

mURRAY
wilkiemurray

Postby dooterbang » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Noticed the drone action too. Looks like your videos are going to take on a new dimension :)
Really enjoyed the video editing, had a hypnotic vibe to it. The drone shots well placed in the mix and adding that extra dimension. Hopefully by winter you'll be a master drone operator and post some wonderful footage.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:26 am

dooterbang wrote:Noticed the drone action too. Looks like your videos are going to take on a new dimension :)
Really enjoyed the video editing, had a hypnotic vibe to it. The drone shots well placed in the mix and adding that extra dimension. Hopefully by winter you'll be a master drone operator and post some wonderful footage.

Cheers.

Thanks Dooterbang - really hoping I can get out for the winter with my new to - got lots on bucket list (got surgery in November so depend how that progresses :)
fingers crossed

ATB

Murray :)
wilkiemurray

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:37 pm

Wonderful vid - the drone pics really make it (with a bit of assistance from the place and the compliant weather!).

Beautiful :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland