walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rannoch to Spean Bridge via some hills

Rannoch to Spean Bridge via some hills

by rockhopper » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:18 am

Route description: Leum Uilleim, from Corrour Station

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Pharlagain, Cruach Innse, Leum Uilleim, Sgùrr Innse

Date walked: 12/09/2015

Time taken: 23 hours

Distance: 63 km

Ascent: 2400m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Rannoch to Spean Bridge via some hills

Postby dav2930 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:19 pm

An inspiring report of an intriguing trip. There's something compelling about A to B walks over several days; your report gave a real sense of having time to stand and stare rather than being in a constant hurry as one so often is when doing a long day walk. Must have been disheartening to get a soaking just as you were setting up camp on day 1 and also not to get much sleep that night; but it looked like that was well worth enduring for what was to come.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby rockhopper » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:56 pm

cheers Petr & dav :)

dooterbang wrote:What size of rucksack do you use for these trips, and what weight do you carry?
Osprey Exos 58 rucksack. For a 2 night trip, I think it starts off at about 14 - 15kg. Have managed to get it down to 13 - 14kg for a one night trip in warmer weather though. That does include about 1.5l of water which is 1.5kg. When I started camping originally, the pack was sometimes north of 18kg which was really too much (for me anyway). Over time I've brought in lighter weight items, esp sleeping bag, rucksack and mat but I've stuck with the banshee 200 - at about 2kg it's quite heavy but I've been happy with it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dooterbang » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:37 pm

rockhopper wrote:cheers Petr & dav :)

dooterbang wrote:What size of rucksack do you use for these trips, and what weight do you carry?
Osprey Exos 58 rucksack. For a 2 night trip, I think it starts off at about 14 - 15kg. Have managed to get it down to 13 - 14kg for a one night trip in warmer weather though. That does include about 1.5l of water which is 1.5kg. When I started camping originally, the pack was sometimes north of 18kg which was really too much (for me anyway). Over time I've brought in lighter weight items, esp sleeping bag, rucksack and mat but I've stuck with the banshee 200 - at about 2kg it's quite heavy but I've been happy with it - cheers :)

Cheers for the info. Has confirmed what size of ruckasck I'll buy - a 55l. 14 -15kg is still a fair weight to be carrying around these mountains, dropping from 18kg probaly means it feels lighter though :). I struggle with the weight for an overnighter...I need to toughen up :shock:

Thanks.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Graeme D » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Enjoyed reading that. Much of it is still very recent to me too having just returned from supervising a four day Gold Assessment in the Loch Ossian and Loch Treig area. An excellent night in the YH and two nights in Staoneig. Shame about the hydro work going on around Treig and the dodgy weather which put paid to most of my plans but still managed Beinn na Lap and Creag Ghuanach.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:50 am

Nice report and some quality photos! Moody to begin with then some great shots of some lovely hills later on. Good effort for the walk and camping too, i've yet to do my first bothy stay and i'm quite looking forward to it when it happens as I don't sleep well in a tent either. :)

Worst toilet in Scotland? Haha, I couldn't resist a Trainspotting reference! :D

Cheers!
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Bus Pass Ambler » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Excellent report and wondering if you could give me some advice...
I was watching last week BBC,s Roads Less Travelled with Cameron McNeish, In it he was shown cycling from Corrour Station down to Rannoch Station on a well made road/path.

I walked this old school back in the late 70,s early 80,s and as I,m kind of past ploughing through bogs, fording burns etc and from your photo you are a recent visitor to the area..

Basically, I would be keen to do this again if that road goes all the way to Rannoch as shown on BBC and I would welcome your advice on this.. Thanks
Bus Pass Ambler
Ambler

Postby malky_c » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Bus Pass Ambler wrote:Basically, I would be keen to do this again if that road goes all the way to Rannoch as shown on BBC and I would welcome your advice on this.. Thanks

Yes it does. At some point the width is going to be reduced as it was put in as a temporary track to assist the construction of a new buried power cable, but I can't imagine they would rough up the surface again just for the hell of it. Was still as shown here about 15 months ago.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland