walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine on Schiehallion

Sunshine on Schiehallion

Postby teaandpies » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:21 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 19/09/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 731m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a fairly busy start to my September, house move, failed MOT, extra hours in work, problems with our service providers (Sky, TalkTalk) I was needing a day away from the city.

It was ten past one in the morning and I knew the weather was going to be good but I hadn't checked MWIS yet...90%+ chance of a cloud free Munro, yes please :D

Now I had to decide what hill, I needed a hill that had a solid dry path as Samantha still hasn't gotten herself a pair of boots yet :roll: I needed a hill that wasn't going to be a huge challenge because I couldn't be bothered and I needed a hill that I hadn't walked yet...Schiehallion sprung to mind.

4 hours sleep, 7am rise, out the house by 8 and at the car park just before 10. The car park was already busy but we managed to find a spot with the hill in full view.

Time to get going and as we did 2 mini busses belonging to a boarding school arrived full of kids so we picked up the pace to get well away from them. We set off at 10:15am.

The walk was easy going, gentle rise on a great path. The progress was being made fast and we allowed ourselves a few wee stops on the way up for water.

We stopped for breakfast on a big flat rock. A roll and a pork pie for me and whatever non meaty thing the girlfriend was having :lol:

The path has plenty of resting places, it feels like everything is right for this hill to be as popular as it is :roll:

We could here the large group of kids singing much further down the hill. Time to finish breakfast and get a move on :shock:

From the start of the walk it wasn't noticeable but there was so much low cloud coming in from the west...more later.

We got to the point on the walk where the really well made path stops dead and the rocky approach starts. I'm not sure if it's the longest rocky approach of any of the Munros but it makes up a good chunk of the walk. We used a bypass path to avoid some of the rocks. I couldn't be arsed with it. We would walk across the entire boulder field on the way down.

We did pick up the main 'path' through the rocks.

The rocks get progressively bigger as the summit nears and there is plenty of rock hopping to do. I rather enjoyed it on the way up but coming down these rocks wasn't as much fun.

Because I was looking at the ground making sure I was placing my feet safely I didn't realise how close we were getting to the top, it's seemed to just creep up on us.

The summit was very busy and people were hanging around the cairn like a bad smell so we nabbed a quick summit snap.

The views west were non existent but I wasn't bothered because the inversion was it's own kind of beautiful :)

@teaandpies on instagram

(walked with the girlfriend)
Last edited by teaandpies on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Sunshine on Schiehallion

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Great hill this (even if it is always busy).

Last time I did it a few years ago I was on the way down when I was stopped by a couple and asked if there was a restaurant at the top, before I knew it "yes" was out my gob followed by "they will be shutting soon as they can only cook what they carry up each morning and I had one of the last bits of steak pie and some chips". The couple looked down the hill to see another couple approaching so they thanked me and broke into a rapid march up to the top while I legged it in the opposite direction.

I like to think I'm more mature now but I still giggle about their reaction when they got to the top :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Silverhill » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:06 pm

Nice one and good to see that Samantha hasn’t been put off the munros. Lovely shots of the inversions! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby ancancha » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:35 pm

Hey teaandpies, glad you and your connection got this one done on a nice day, it's a great iconic hill, I loved the rock hop 8) Such a change in terrain :shock:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby teaandpies » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:41 am

Silverhill wrote:Nice one and good to see that Samantha hasn’t been put off the munros. Lovely shots of the inversions! :D

I tried hard to put her off but with no joy :lol:

Gordie12 wrote:Great hill this (even if it is always busy).

Last time I did it a few years ago I was on the way down when I was stopped by a couple and asked if there was a restaurant at the top, before I knew it "yes" was out my gob followed by "they will be shutting soon as they can only cook what they carry up each morning and I had one of the last bits of steak pie and some chips". The couple looked down the hill to see another couple approaching so they thanked me and broke into a rapid march up to the top while I legged it in the opposite direction.

I like to think I'm more mature now but I still giggle about their reaction when they got to the top :lol:

That hilarious, both the fact they asked you that and your reply. This has gotten me wondering what I would have said in that situation.

ancancha wrote:Hey teaandpies, glad you and your connection got this one done on a nice day, it's a great iconic hill, I loved the rock hop 8) Such a change in terrain :shock:

It's a great hill, a joy. Can imagine it being a little depressing in bad weather as you're totally exposed to the elements.

A dramatic change in terrain for sure. I have mixed feelings about the rocky top. I enjoyed it right up to the point I slipped and fell damaging my phone in the process. I omitted that from the report because I was trying to keep it positive :roll:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby roscoT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:46 am

Nice one! Looked like a really enjoyable day - think I will save this one for my girlfriend too, almost put her off for life last time by tackling a pathless corbett in Kintail in horrible weather :lol:

Love the inversion shots!
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:189   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Postby teaandpies » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:42 pm

roscoT wrote:Nice one! Looked like a really enjoyable day - think I will save this one for my girlfriend too, almost put her off for life last time by tackling a pathless corbett in Kintail in horrible weather :lol:

Love the inversion shots!

It's a couples hill for sure :wink:

What's the name of that Corbett? I may have to take a trip with Samantha :shh: :shifty: :think: :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby roscoT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:22 pm

That which shall not be named (or pronounced properly).....as my girlfriend calls it

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54178
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:189   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Postby kaye.cantlay » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:15 pm

How nice to see what it looks like.....

I did it in January 2014 on my own in a near white out.
My first solo Munro - and what a fantastic day it was.
:D
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby kaye.cantlay » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:15 pm

It was mid week and I had the car park and mountain all to myself.....
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby dogplodder » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Seeing the bus of school kids reminds me of when we climbed Schiehallion along with 60 boys from a Jewish school in London! Sounds like you didn't see the contents of the bus again? :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby teaandpies » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:07 pm

dogplodder wrote:Seeing the bus of school kids reminds me of when we climbed Schiehallion along with 60 boys from a Jewish school in London! Sounds like you didn't see the contents of the bus again? :wink:

We seen them sitting in a circle on the rocky approach to the summit, their teacher was chatting to them about geese flying into jet engines for whatever reasons :shock:

We also seen, how do I say this delicately..? We also seen all the fat kids sitting back in the mini bus :roll:

kaye.cantlay wrote:It was mid week and I had the car park and mountain all to myself.....

I didn't mind the busy car park, it was expected but having the whole hill to ourselves would have been a treat :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland