walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Jury's Out on Luch Turret Duo

The Jury's Out on Luch Turret Duo

Postby roscoT » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 22/09/2015

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 19.6 km

Ascent: 1866m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Chonzie and Auchnafree.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After 2 successful evasions, the law caught up with me and I finally had to go in for jury duty on Monday (a day and a half of sitting in a waiting room as it turned out). With a lunchtime finish and blue in the sky on Tuesday, I'll admit to having somewhat enjoyed the (non)experience. And so, off to Perthshire for the afternoon to climb that most 'easy' of munros, Ben Chonzie.

Was past Comrie and the dicey road to Invergeldie by 1.30 and set off on the track which takes you a lot of the way up, alongside and then over the Invergeldie Burn at the dam, with views opening up to the glen behind. Was a lovely day, if not a bit windy.

Image2015-09-22 13.38.32 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imageinvergledie dam by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 14.18.54 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 14.29.37 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Not another sole about, and after about 4K the path turns off to the left to begin the ascent of the Ben. Bit of moderate climbing here, but nothing difficult. The wind had picked up and an extra layer applied. Once over the brow of the hill, there is a short hop over the plateau to the metal fence posts, which are followed to the summit. Wasn't wasting much time, so took me about an hour and a half.

Imageover the glen by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagefinal summit approach by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

It was now extremely windy, so had a wee rest and lunch and the summit shelter. Suspecting that my legal duties would be caught short, I had had a wee look the night before and sketched a GPS route to the corbett of Auchnafree Hill, but thought I would wait to see what it actually looked like before committing myself.

Image2015-09-22 15.03.53 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 15.04.32 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

I knew there were some crags on the east face, so thought I would descend northwards towards the top of Glen Turret and at least have a look at at a possible route. Some great views of Loch Turret and further to Crieff were opening up.

Imagedescent to glen turret by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 15.24.54 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 15.26.23 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Followed the continuing posts most of the way. Could faintly see the summit cairn of Auchnafree and thought the ascent looked ok - pathless and probably a bit annoying, but ok. I also realised that once I climbed it, the only way back to the start position would involve a descent down to Glen Turret and a good few hundred metres of re-ascent over unknown terrain to gain the path again. Foolhardily, I decided to go for it.

The initial descent was dodgy to say the least (unlike me, just follow the posts if you are doing this route!) - very very steep heathery terrain with a few sheep paths I convinced myself were negotiable! After a few near gone-ers, I gave up and went back down towards the posts. Looking back, you get the not-so-obvious view of Chonzie's east face - steep and rugged.

Imageback to chonzie by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagedodgy descent by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imageto auchnafree by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imageloch turret again by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagefollow the posts by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

I could see the broad flank of A'Chairidh and after consulting GPS, I left the posts and aimed diagonally right up it, over pathless and lumpy stuff. Unfortunately, there was much worse to come! There was a solitary stone near the summit of A'Chairdh which looked like a tent from afar, so I aimed for that. Bit of a lung-buster, and the going was slow, but got there in the end.

Image2015-09-22 15.50.56 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagefrom a chairidh by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Once over this brow, a mini hanging valley juts out from the glen, and looked boggy, so I tried to go around this to the left, again it was not overly pleasant, but hey ho. Once at the 'bottom' of this, what looks like a broad path (but is actually a line of dead heather appears, and so I aimed for this, veering off to the right to the summit of Auchnafree. This took between an hour and a half to two hours from the summit of Chonzie, but at least double the effort.

Imageugh by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagesolitay stone by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imageauchnafree summit by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 16.26.46 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Stopped here for a wee bit, before thoughts turned to how the hell I was going to get back to the track on the other side of the valley. Had a look at the flank on the other side, and there seemed to be a not-so-steep route to the left of the crags on the east flank of Ben Chonzie and, further up, to the right of the crags at the top of the deep bowl below Creag Gharbh. Started the descent, aiming directly southeast, with good views again across Loch Turret.

Imageaim by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 16.44.23 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Once at the bottom and near the Turret Burn, I realised the terrain on the other side was, quite frankly, rank. Thick heather and reeds, and it looked pretty boggy. After negotiating a plantation of ferns, crossed the burn to the right of a contributory stream and began the killer ascent, the first 100m of which was through reeds and bog up to my waist - horrible. After that, it became slightly more bearable, although still difficult, and with a final steep pull up to the right of the crags, the plateau was reached (not many pictures as I wasn't having the best of times!). Maybe took me an hour or so, but felt like years!

Imageturret burn by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 17.04.43 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagelast bit and sheep path by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 17.25.31 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 17.26.55 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Over some peat hags at the top and in another half kilometre as I was happily back on the track, pretty much at the point it cuts off to ascend. The wind had died down and the sun was setting over the glen.

The last part of ascent aside, was a good strenuous day, certainly better than being in the office. More jury duty please!

Imageover the top by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imageback on track by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Image2015-09-22 20.50.11 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:189   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Re: The Jury's Out on Luch Turret Duo

Postby teaandpies » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:59 am

Oh man, rank. You'd have been better off parking at the dam and doing the loop around the loch.

I missed out on the Corbett, still hurting about that actually...circumstances outside of my control prevented me getting up it (the girlfriend). Anyway, dropping off Chonzie down to the road that runs along the loch you'd come to a road that branches off and would take you the Corbett pretty much then just nip over Choinneachain Hill and down to the dam car park.

I can't believe I'll have to go back to Loch Turret for Auchnafree Hill :?

At least it wasn't raining :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby roscoT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:59 am

teaandpies wrote:Oh man, rank. You'd have been better off parking at the dam and doing the loop around the loch.

I missed out on the Corbett, still hurting about that actually...circumstances outside of my control prevented me getting up it (the girlfriend). Anyway, dropping off Chonzie down to the road that runs along the loch you'd come to a road that branches off and would take you the Corbett pretty much then just nip over Choinneachain Hill and down to the dam car park.

I can't believe I'll have to go back to Loch Turret for Auchnafree Hill :?

At least it wasn't raining :lol:

Thanks for the comment and advice mate :D

Yeah think i'd have been much more savvy to either park at the dam and do the round or else, as you say, dropping down to the path at the burn and then following it up Auchnafree (I actually wasn't aware of it's existence), then probably retracing my steps. Would not recommend the other side of the glen to anyone!!

I would certainly put Auchnafree down your priority list if I was you - aside from the views to the loch, there's not much about it!
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Postby teaandpies » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:51 pm

roscoT wrote:I would certainly put Auchnafree down your priority list if I was you - aside from the views to the loch, there's not much about it!

I'm annoyed that I'll have to travel all the back there just to do that bloody muddy blob :roll:

How's the muscles? All better?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Jury duty, yeh sure.................good luck when the court case comes round :lol: :lol: :lol:

teaandpies beat me to it - it's a good day out starting from the car park for Loch Turret and going either clockwise or anti clockwise round the tops over looking the loch (I'm from Crieff so these were my local hills so no comments please about them being boring :-x )

Auchnafree from Loch Turret is a decent winter hill if you are not geared up for the higher hills with lots of the white stuff.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby teaandpies » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:58 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Jury duty, yeh sure.................good luck when the court case comes round :lol: :lol: :lol:

teaandpies beat me to it - it's a good day out starting from the car park for Loch Turret and going either clockwise or anti clockwise round the tops over looking the loch (I'm from Crieff so these were my local hills so no comments please about them being boring :-x )

Auchnafree from Loch Turret is a decent winter hill if you are not geared up for the higher hills with lots of the white stuff.

I didn't think it was that boring, in fact I enjoyed touching all the tops on the way to Ben Chonzie. The boggy strawberry field, eating my lunch out of the wind in the summit shelter.

I rate hills by would I do it again yes or no. I say yes to this one :wink:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby roscoT » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:51 am

Definitely not boring lads, the situation around Loch Turret, with views down the glen and across to the Lawers range, is wonderful.

I did find parts of my route a bit of a trudge, but then that was completely down to my terrible routefinding!

Lucky you being from Crieff Gordie! I am from Lanarkshire, where Tinto is our most dizzying peak!
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Postby SecretSquirrel » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:06 am

Well done on being prepared to make short notice use of a free afternoon! :clap: Interesting route, although I'm not too sure about traversing straight back across the glen on the return - looks very messy!

roscoT wrote:Lucky you being from Crieff Gordie! I am from Lanarkshire, where Tinto is our most dizzying peak!

I'm jealous of everyone that has good access to local hills! :lol: :lol: Tinto has now been replaced as my training hill by Culter Fell - similar travel time down the M74 but more variety of routes available.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby roscoT » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:26 am

Cheers SecretSquirrel!

Yeah Culter Fell is a lot more varied, love the loop around the reservoir, actually makes for a pretty decent day. Tinto from Wiston gives a different scope too if you've ever tried it?

I see you're on 99 Munros - have you selected the one to take you in to triple figures yet? :)
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Postby SecretSquirrel » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:55 pm

roscoT wrote:Cheers SecretSquirrel!

Yeah Culter Fell is a lot more varied, love the loop around the reservoir, actually makes for a pretty decent day. Tinto from Wiston gives a different scope too if you've ever tried it?

I see you're on 99 Munros - have you selected the one to take you in to triple figures yet? :)

Yup, Wiston is a good route up Tinto too. I've been up Tinto from all 4 main points of the compass :lol: :lol:

I've deliberately orchestrated the 99 and leaving the hundredth to do with my wife. But since she will be otherwise engaged in nights out this weekend :lol: I'll be avoiding munros and doing some Corbetts and Grahams instead this weekend.

I've kept the 100th as a straight forward walk and gone for Buachaille Etive Beag. So Stob Coire Raineach will probably be the one and hopefully get some views in Glencoe. Fingers crossed for next weekend :D
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland