walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coledale round

Coledale round

Postby Guinessman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Date walked: 16/08/2015

Distance: 16.7 km

Ascent: 1446m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunday 16/08/2015. Met up with two mates, locally and travelled over to the Lakes making the decision en route as to where to go. Also in tow was a 2 yr old collie owned by one of the lads. Sunday was an unusual day for us, its normally a week day. Got to Braithwaite and parked up in the small car park area as you climb the hill. Got there at 08.30 and nabbed the last spot. Took the ascending path from the car park up through the heather in an initial lung bursting ,thigh burning start until the path levels out before the climb up to the shoulder of Grisedale pike. Descended from the top and took the path going the corrie edge to Hopegill head. From there descended to the col and then went up the shoulder of Grasmoor rather the trade route up to the next col. Its a shoulder route I've been using since around 2004 when initially it was unmarked. its now showing signs of erosion. Continued up to Grasmoor before dropping down to the col between Grasmoor and Crag hill. Instead of going straight up Crag hill we went over to the right on an ascending path which when you get to the top above Addacombe head gives excellent views of the Newlands valley. From there a path continues up to crag hill following the corrie edge up to the top. Continued onto Sail by the wide arête path and then down the created path which is unusually raised up from the ground at the side of it. It was at this point I made the mistake of lending my walking pole (I only take one ) to one of the lads as he was hobbling badly going downhill due to going running the day before. I was to regret it as I was in agony myself the next day. The route then took the descending path down towards the mines cutting off from the main paths and then back to the car.

Route up Grisedale Pike

Hopegill Head from Grisedale Pike

Path down from Grisedale Pike

Path to Hopegill head looking to Grisedale Pike

Shoulder of grasmoor

View into the Vale of Keswick from the shoulder of grasmoor

Shoulder of grasmoor

Buttermere Lake from grasmoor

Path down from Crag hill

Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Coledale round

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:35 am

Another fine lakes day Guinessman, shame you generosity with the pole cost you next day. I use two poles all the time now, I started just using them for downhill but found they can be really good uphill too....now I'm sort of addicted :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Guinessman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:53 am

The last few months have really outlined to me the benefits of poles. A few months back a pole I was using seized up and I couldn't use it for the day with the result that I could barely walk the next day. I then did 10 days off the belt in Scotland with new poles with no issues and then this result with lending the pole out. Think ill start carrying two!"
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby trailmasher » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:32 am

That's a fine round Guinessman with the pics giving a good indication of walking conditions :clap: . I too remember when there was little or no path on that way up Grasmoor and just goes to show how popular it is now :crazy: Well done on a fine route. And the start from the car park is a bit of a ball breaker :roll: :roll:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Looks a great day in one of my favourite parts of the Lakes, thanks for sharing.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland