walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wast Water round.

A Wast Water round.

Postby mamoset » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Buckbarrow, Illgill Head, Middle Fell, Seatallan, Whin Rigg

Hewitts included on this walk: Seatallan

Date walked: 19/09/2015

Time taken: 7.25

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1500m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With the promise of fine weather, I headed off to do a circuit of Wast Water, taking in 5 Wainwrights. Left the car at 7.30, and headed for Buckbarrow, where unfortunately, there was a bit of low lying cloud :shock:
IMG_7481.JPG
Buckbarrow.
With the cloud obscuring most views down Wast Water, I quickly made the top of Buckbarrow.
IMG_7485.JPG
Buckbarrow summit.
From here, I headed for Seatallan, going via Cat Bields. It was quite wet under foot, but walking was easy enough.
IMG_7486.JPG
Cat Bields to Seatallan, from Buckbarrow.
As the cloud kept coming in, I didn't hang around up here and after a quick snap of the summit made for Middle Fell.
IMG_7490.JPG
Seatallan.
It's quite a steep descent off Seatallan, but as long as you locate the foot marks, it's easy enough.
IMG_7495.JPG
Middle Fell & Greendale Tarn.
Then it's a rough walk up onto Middle Fell.
IMG_7502.JPG
Middle Fell.
Decided on the "quick" route off here, going straight down to Nether Beck. Probably would have been quicker going to Greendale Farm and walking up the road!!! Eventually got down after a few thrills and spills in the high ferns & rocks, were the sun even came out.
IMG_7506.JPG
Falls in Nether Beck.
It's a good job the sun came out as I was considering leaving Illgill Head due to the low cloud, but the sun dispersed most of it, so I was happy again 8) :wink: Headed along the road, making for Brackenclose.
IMG_7519.JPG
Yewbarrow towers above Overbeck Bridge.
Was lovely and warm along here, and finally the big tops came into view.
IMG_7524.JPG
Lingmell, Scafell Pike & cloud covered Scafell.
Disappointed to see the little parking area at Brackenclose road side has been blocked :(
IMG_7534.JPG
Kirk Fell & Great Gable.
Followed the track above Fence Wood, making for Straighthead Gill.
IMG_7542.JPG
Illgill Head & Wast Water.
IMG_7552.JPG
The double bridge for Hollow & Groove Gills.
It's a fair slog up Illgill Head when it's as warm as it was, but at least the views broke up the monotony :D
IMG_7560.JPG
Big clouds roll in again.
IMG_7565.JPG
Plenty of fells in the sun.
Finally, the summit was reached, but there was so many people there, I went and photographed the other cairn :shock:
IMG_7569.JPG
Illgill Head.
There is a good path that goes across the top of the screes, affording a great view of the fells opposite.
IMG_7573.JPG
Yewbarrow dominates the view.
IMG_7574.JPG
The earlier fells I walked.
IMG_7582.JPG
Back to Illgill Head.
After a bit of a soggy walk, I ended up on Whin Rigg.
IMG_7589.JPG
Whin Rigg.
IMG_7584.JPG
Coniston Fells & Harter Fell.
All that was left now, was to once again plod down through high fern down Greathall Gill.
IMG_7594.JPG
Looking up Wast Water.
IMG_7596.JPG
The way down, looking at the way up!!
This turned out to be a great day in a lovely part of the Lakes :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: A Wast Water round.

Postby trailmasher » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:49 pm

Good report with some great pics :clap: . Wasdale is one of my fav places and having done a similar route to yours can verify it's a good way to do a circuit of Wast Water :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:17 am

That's a good effort Mamoset, plenty of distance and ascent too (I'd have talked myself out of those last few :lol: ) so glad the weather turned out well after the dodgy start because it resulted in some beautiful shots of the area :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:17 pm

trailmasher wrote:Good report with some great pics :clap: . Wasdale is one of my fav places and having done a similar route to yours can verify it's a good way to do a circuit of Wast Water :clap:

Thanks trail, did it the other way round a few years back, Wast Water is an impressive place :D

ChrisW wrote:That's a good effort Mamoset, plenty of distance and ascent too (I'd have talked myself out of those last few :lol: ) so glad the weather turned out well after the dodgy start because it resulted in some beautiful shots of the area :clap:

You're right about the weather Chris, can't believe anyone enjoys walking when there's no views :shock:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:35 am

mamoset wrote: You're right about the weather Chris, can't believe anyone enjoys walking when there's no views :shock:

I'm with you there mate, I'm not ticking any lists if I can't see some good stuff along the way :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 am

Saturday was a lovely day in the Lakes as your pics show to the full, Nice unusual route with some great view points.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:27 am

mamoset, I'm surprised it was as clear as it was - from Crinkle Crags way Wasdale gave the impression of being a great cauldron of cloud that was sometimes boiling over and sending it our way! It looks like you had a lovely day all the same.

I quite like walking in cloud for a bit, because it feels all mysterious, but I do miss the views.

(JK, I've just noticed your number! Hurry up with the report so we can all get excited ;) )
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:49 am

nigheandonn wrote:
(JK, I've just noticed your number! Hurry up with the report so we can all get excited ;) )

Tonight or tomorrow :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby mamoset » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:50 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Saturday was a lovely day in the Lakes as your pics show to the full, Nice unusual route with some great view points.

Thanks jk, would recommend it :thumbup:

nigheandonn wrote:mamoset, I'm surprised it was as clear as it was - from Crinkle Crags way Wasdale gave the impression of being a great cauldron of cloud that was sometimes boiling over and sending it our way! It looks like you had a lovely day all the same.

I quite like walking in cloud for a bit, because it feels all mysterious, but I do miss the views.

Hi nigh, there was some hefty clouds around, luckily they lifted above most of the tops. Was really warm in the afternoon too 8)
mamoset
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland