walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seven Fannichs with a wild camp

Seven Fannichs with a wild camp

Postby Keefers » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Mòr and the eastern Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Mòr, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 19/08/2015

Time taken: 15 hours

Distance: 49.7 km

Ascent: 2152m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2015-08-20 183934.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With thanks to Chris Andrews for posting Seven Fannichs from Loch Fannich (Aug 2013) which became the inspiration for this trip.

We parked the van at Grudie on the A832 and eased ourselves onto the mountain bikes at about midday with full packs to make our way up the track to Loch Fannich. Great track, tarmac all the way all be it up hill!

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

We dropped the bikes by a metal bridge and followed the burn (no path) up the south ridge of An Coileachan (Munro No 1)

image3.JPG

Its was hot and an immediate shock to the legs after the 9km cycle in but the good news was that we were on the summit in about 75mins with stunning views. We knew that the weather was due to close in at between 5pm and 6pm so we quickly made tracks towards Meall Gorm (Munro No2) which was really easy going.

We could see the cloud rolling in from the west and having originally hoped to have a relaxing start to the day, tick off four munros on day one to provide a leisurely second day, clearly the Scottish weather was going to scupper our plan. Despite only being 5pm we had no option but to put the tent up at Creachan Rairigidh as visibility was quickly deteriorating and the rain was rolling in.

image6.JPG

image5.JPG

The location was perfect all be i a wee bit lumpy under the tent and I imagine the views at sunset and sunrise could be wonderful!

We had hoped to be up and about at 6am but the low cloud didn't lift until closer to 8am.

image7.JPG

(Looking back to the campsite)

The route across the Sgur Mor and Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaish was straight forward. Head towards Sgur Mor and you will pick up a path to the right taking you to Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich. We dropped our rucksacks beside a stone shelter amongst the rocks on the path crossing to Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich (No3), the easiest approach is to follow the stalkers path round to the north of the summit and then pick your way through the rocks to the summit. The view is well worth it.

image8.JPG

(Sgurr Mor - stalkers path to Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich runs just above the snow patch)

We spent a good 15mins at the summit taking in the view before heading back towards Sgur Mor (Munro No4).

Sgur Mor is little more than a hop and a skip once you have picked your way back through the rocks from the top of Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich. Typically the only cloud to to encounter all day was on this top which for us was a real shame given that apparently the sea can be seen to the east and west from this summit.

The descent from Sgur Mor was hard going on the knees but the gradual clearing of the clouds and return of the view helped to compensate as we made our way over to Meall a Chrasgaidh (Munro No 5).

We stopped for lunch midway down Meall a Chrasgaidh with a great view across to our next objective Sgurr nan Clach Geala (Munro No 6). There is no doubt the route up looks daunting but there really is nothing to worry about. As ever, the path finds its was through the rocky ridge and takes you to the summit in no time.

image9.JPG

(Munro 6 approaching)

The final summit Sgurr nan Each (Munro No 7) was fairly straight forward and from here it was all down hill.

image10.JPG

(Sgurr nan Each approaching)

We decided to skirt around Sgurr a Chadha Dheirg. On tired legs, contouring round was had work. On reflection I would go over the top or cut down via the lochan to the SW, either way I dont think you can avoid the peat hags which surround and cover Torran Ruadh ... slow and steady wins the day here.

image11.JPG

(Torran Ruadh peat hags)

From Torran Ruadh it was an easy drop down to the track and a 4km walk back to the bikes via Fannich Lodge.

The benefit of the bikes was only really appreciated on the way home when we began to appreciate just how downhill it is. Result :D

The total route including bike was 49.7km. Our total time walking was about 15hrs of which 11.5hrs was actual time moving ... leaving me wondering where the 3.5hr break was!
Keefers
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Re: Seven Fannichs with a wild camp

Postby Silverhill » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Great first report! I’m scheming a plan for these hills and I begin to see the benefit of taking a bike.
Some lovely pictures and I like the shot of the peat hags on Torran Ruadh. I’ll let you know whether I still like them after I have done these hills! :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland