walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sole insoles

Sole insoles

Postby scoob999 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:39 pm

I found these a bit weird at first with the hard arch on the instep, moulded them in the oven etc and quite like them
But on a long walk my feet were killing me :shock: they seem comfy enough till about the 15k mark but after that I find them too hard, lack of cushioning lets them down for me :( so I'll be reverting back to flattish insoles again

Any one else got any thoughts experiences with these?

Cheers
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: Sole insoles

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Sounds similar to my feet. I find the orthotic ones I've tried are a bit firm for me too, but the usual flat ones a bit lacking in support. Now I use those self adhesive pads for furniture on wooden floors and stick them to the underside of my existing flat insoles. You can cut them to the size you need - it is just a little extra support but enough to help I think.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Gythral » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:41 am

Like new boots you need to let your feet get used to them!

But then I've used this type of arch supporting insole for nearly 20 years, be even so a new pair need to be broken in, but I wear then in all footwear not just for hillwalking/mountaineering.
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby scoob999 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:56 pm

Gythral wrote:Like new boots you need to let your feet get used to them!

But then I've used this type of arch supporting insole for nearly 20 years, be even so a new pair need to be broken in, but I wear then in all footwear not just for hillwalking/mountaineering.

I suppose that's the point :? you would have to wear them in all your foot wear, guess it would be pointless just in my hill boots. I've been having bother with my knees as well when i use them :( I'm just gonna stick with flat insoles I think
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby falling monkey » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Tried various orthotics and custom made ones from nhs due to a mortons neuroma like has been mentioned have to be bedded in usually change every hr or so until settled in,also had a problem with couple pairs bought online and were fixed by visiting a local pound shop and fitted a pair of memory foam insoles,very thin and just enough to take the worst of pain away and at under a quid you cant go wrong
falling monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:126   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby doggy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:47 am

Only last week I saw a podiatrist and she gave me x line insoles to wear all the time. I used them in my boots on Friday and it may be a coincidence but my feet, knees and ankles no longer ached. I could even walk the next day, normally I'm hobbling like a 90 year old the next day. They took a bit of getting used to over the first few miles but after 11 miles i was pretty happy with them. You can buy them online for about 13 quid, mines are designed for over pronators. so far so good.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Michael Thomson » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:45 pm

I use Sole footbeds in all of my footwear. The first thing I do with new shoes is chuck the footbed out and stick a Sole one in. They do a variety of cushioning levels, I tend to use the Softec Response, but the Softec Ultra has twice the cushioning.

If you're experiencing pain it could be that you are re-aligning into correct posture. That can cause some initial ankle/knee/hip twinges. My knees complained for the first few walks too, but the physio pointed out that was because I was actually walking with proper posture rather than my previous pronating lope. Sure enough it sorted itself out quickly.

If it persists, it's more significant and you should seek professional assistance.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby teaandpies » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:27 pm

I use Superfeet and they have helped me significantly. I use them in all my shoes and totally recommend them.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk