walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe - The Tourist Trail

Beinn Bhuidhe - The Tourist Trail

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 26/09/2015

Time taken: 5.8 hours

Distance: 21.8 km

Ascent: 1100m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Unusually for me, I couldn't be bothered today, don't know why - just didn't feel like it. I was up at the back of 5 and got down to Loch Fyne for about 8.20am, I actually considered driving past the parking area and heading down to Inverary for a wander round the jail.

Looking round and about there was a fair amount of cloud around with some summits clear and others shrouded in the claggy stuff - a bit of pot luck.

Off and walking for 8.30am, over the bridge, left turn and up the tarmac road towards the brewery.

1.jpg
River Fyne

2.jpg
Heading up the glen

I read some reports on this hill and I think it was bobblehatkenny who met a local who stopped his car and gave him some route advice - I think I met the same guy. Really nice chap, really helpful, but morning could turn to afternoon at this rate and I'm only just past the brewery so I thank him for his help and head on up the road.

3.jpg
Breakfast time?

4.jpg
Ok mate, you have the road, I'll take the bog

The guy in the car was telling me to use the new hydro track, as I was in a lazy mood I was always going to be using it anyway and even with a short detour off the road in to a bog thanks to Angus, it didn't take long to reach the point where I would leave the flat tarmac road and start what looked to be a pretty steep climb.

5.jpg
River Fyne

6.jpg
The start of the steep climb

I should know by now that when these tracks go in they are not designed for hill walkers, none of your zig zags, just straight up the hill and no messing about.

7.jpg
Looking down to Loch Fyne

8.jpg
And again

9.jpg

10.jpg

It was a slow plod up the track, warm work with no real breeze to speak off. There was the odd period where the track would level off but then it would kick off again - it was starting to annoy me. Eventually I was far enough along the track where I could see the top of Beinn Bhuidhe and it was time to leave the track behind.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Once off the track the feet quickly got wet. The path is clear and obvious but there was a lot of surface water around. Once on to the steeper climb up on to the ridge it was a little drier but at times it felt like I was walking up a burn.

Once up on the ridge it was an easy and enjoyable walk along the tops to the summit.

14.jpg
The final climb up on to the top

15.jpg
The path along the tops

16.jpg
Final climb ahead

I was lucky that the summit was clag clear, the views weren't the best but they were still good with decent views in all directions.

17.jpg
Summit cairn

18.jpg
View from the top

19.jpg
And again

I only spent about 10 minutes on the top, there was a little bit of a breeze and cool with the short sleeves so turned and headed for home.

20.jpg

When I got back to the cairn just at the point where I would start the drop off the tops I stopped to put the waterproof bottoms on so that if I took a dive on the way down I would at least keep my trouser dry. The walk down off the top was slow going and it felt good to get back to the main track where I could take the waterproof bottoms off and get a decent stride on.

21.jpg
Hydro works

22.jpg
Big toy

I chose to just take the same track down that I used on the way in and it was hard going down to the power station close to the River Fyne. I was glad to get down to the glen floor, it was really steep and hard going. It would have been tempting to have a dip in the river but then again maybe not.

23.jpg

The final walk down the glen was easy going and it was nice to be on flat ground and get the stride going again.

24.jpg
Looking back to the track I used

25.jpg
Brewery

I was back at the car quicker than I expected to be and headed off for the drive home. The other half is Welsh and having lived in Wales for 3 years I consider them to be my "wee team" so how bloomin marvellous was that tonight - absolutely fantastic Saturday night. My mood has definitely improved................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe - The Tourist Trail

Postby teaandpies » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:47 pm

I was happy to see England getting beat, I love seeing the hearing the commentators masking their obvious disappointment :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Silverhill » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:31 pm

I met Angus’ sisters, they also kindly let me have the bog instead of the road. :wink:
The hydro track looks like a slog, I think I prefer the traditional route!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:18 pm

teaandpies wrote:I was happy to see England getting beat, I love seeing the hearing the commentators masking their obvious disappointment :lol:

I worry about Ian Robertson the commmentator on Radio Five Live. He's Scottish but he seems to get very excited when England do anything decent.

The other half seems to be calming down a bit now (24 hours after the end of the game).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:20 pm

Silverhill wrote:I met Angus’ sisters, they also kindly let me have the bog instead of the road. :wink:
The hydro track looks like a slog, I think I prefer the traditional route!

Hi Silverhill - yip, it's a slog sure enough and the traditional route looks like it's a bit more scenic.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Chris Mac » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Nice report and some great photo's, especially the big Heilan Coo!!

Hahahaa brilliant stuff!! :clap: :lol:

I love the pic of the truck too, I honestly thought it was a Tonka truck for a moment, quite hard to judge the scale in the photo!! :D

Probably a good thing you avoided those Heilan Crocs too... :wink: :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby ancancha » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Thankfully I never met Angus when I travelled up this way, but did bump into the clag :(
Interesting to see the hydro works, were they at the end of the track :?:
The traditional route up the valley was interesting.
Great long kick for the welsh to win 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:39 pm

I came down the same track a few weeks ago and didn't enjoy the lower section much. I think it may be better (and slightly quicker) to use the more westerly track that joins the existing forestry track shown on the OS map, but that means not going past the brewery!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Nice report and some great photo's, especially the big Heilan Coo!!

Hahahaa brilliant stuff!! :clap: :lol:

I love the pic of the truck too, I honestly thought it was a Tonka truck for a moment, quite hard to judge the scale in the photo!! :D

Probably a good thing you avoided those Heilan Crocs too... :wink: :lol:

Thanks Chris - it feels like most days when I'm out just now there are big toys to photograph - Hydro schemes popping up everywhere. I wish somebody would leave the keys in one of them, they look like good fun to have a go on.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:26 pm

ancancha wrote:Thankfully I never met Angus when I travelled up this way, but did bump into the clag :(
Interesting to see the hydro works, were they at the end of the track :?:
The traditional route up the valley was interesting.
Great long kick for the welsh to win 8)

Hi ancancha - to be honest, it's a busy place. Just above the point you can see from the brewery is where the dam is but there are also a couple of new tracks being built as well.

Best rugby match I've watched in years - had planned to go to the gym early on Sunday morning but celebrations continued in to the night ruling out any thoughts of getting on a cross trainer or an exercise bike.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:32 pm

jmarkb wrote:I came down the same track a few weeks ago and didn't enjoy the lower section much. I think it may be better (and slightly quicker) to use the more westerly track that joins the existing forestry track shown on the OS map, but that means not going past the brewery!

Hi jmarkb - it's the first track I've had to stop at the bottom of for a rest so I can well understand anyone not enjoying the lower section. The local guy I spoke to on the way in suggested I used the track you are talking about for the way out, it certainly looked like an easier gradient. In the end I went for my route in as I didn't want to walk through the quarry and I fancied another few shots of Angus and his extended family.

26.jpg
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby teaandpies » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I worry about Ian Robertson the commmentator on Radio Five Live. He's Scottish but he seems to get very excited when England do anything decent.

The other half seems to be calming down a bit now (24 hours after the end of the game).
teaandpies wrote:I was happy to see England getting beat, I love hearing the commentators masking their obvious disappointment :lol:

I'm only just calming down too. This World Cup has been decent. Sorry this is well off topic.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:35 pm

FFS!!!! Is there anywhere where there AREN'T hydro works going on in the hills at the moment!!!!????? :o
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:18 pm

Graeme D wrote:FFS!!!! Is there anywhere where there AREN'T hydro works going on in the hills at the moment!!!!????? :o

Hi Graeme - not sure if there are hydro works everywhere or just everywhere I go walking :? :? :?
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:38 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
Graeme D wrote:FFS!!!! Is there anywhere where there AREN'T hydro works going on in the hills at the moment!!!!????? :o

Hi Graeme - not sure if there are hydro works everywhere or just everywhere I go walking :? :? :?

Yeah, me too these days Gordie! Now, why do I never seem to get round to doing this hill???? :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland