walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Adventure Always Awaits in the Arrochar Alps

Adventure Always Awaits in the Arrochar Alps

Postby andygunn23 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 30/08/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrochar Adventure with Dad and the ever temperamental Scottish weather!

I started writing these reports so I could differentiate between all the walks and make sure I have a record to look back on. At the moment I appear to be bagging the munros faster than I am able to write these reports! Anyway here is my slightly delayed account of my walk from Arrochar up Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime and finally The Cobbler with Dad from the final weekend in August.

I spent Friday and Saturday down visiting my family in Helensburgh so Saturday was all about preparation... By preparation I mean stuffing my face with Dino's ice cream and fish suppers from The Wee Kelpie.

Sunday morning arrived, the weather looked... Scottish, bags were packed and it was time to head off! We opted to take the road alongside Gare Loch and past Faslane. For me this was the first time (in my memory) driving past Faslane, whether you agree with the principles of it or not, the size and security is somewhat 'impressive'.

The drive alongside Loch Long was stunning. I keep contemplating getting myself a motor to make getting to the mountains easier. In truth the views are much better from the passenger seat, I think if I was driving I would need to stop every two minutes to enjoy the view!

It was about lunchtime, the carpark opposite the Ben Bheula B&B had just enough space for us - looked like the mountains were going to be busy!

I'm not sure who named Loch Long but they were clearly struggling for inspiration?
IMG_1094.jpg

Here are a few of the photos from the ascent up Beinn Narnain. This took slightly longer than I had anticipated but you'd be a fool not to stop and enjoy these views as much as possible!

From reading reviews on here I had been well briefed about the path up being slightly wet...I'm still not sure if this was a path or a stream, either way it got us where we wanted to go! OH, and my boots got a much needed wash - bargain!
IMG_1105.jpg

Once you have walked up the path / swam up the stream you are well rewarded with some cracking views!
IMG_1108.jpg

I appear to be pretty delighted with the views...
300815_1292.jpg

Near slip caught on Camera. "Come on! Try get a photo where it doesn't look like you're about to fall on your arse!"
300815_1297.jpg

They say the grass is always greener on the other side... Somewhere it may be warmer, the beer may be better, the mountains may be higher and it may not rain as much.... BUT for now the grass is definitely green enough!

We are spoilt to have such great views so easily accessible in Scotland - here is Dad looking focused. Now you can see why they named it Loch Long...
IMG_1127.jpg

The Cobbler doesn't really need any description!
IMG_1123.jpg

After a couple of hours of hiking up we had made it to the top of Beinn Narnain - all that was left to do was sit back, relax and enjoy the breathtaking views.

Or not...
IMG_1132.jpg

I think this walk inspired Dad to finally buy himself some waterproof trousers...

Generally speaking the walk up Beinn Narnain was quiet, I assume most people had set off slightly earlier or just opted to do the more famous Cobbler. The route from Beinn Narnain to Beinn Ime was far more busy.

Interesting fact for any of my friends reading this out with Scotland: did you know that every Scottish person you meet up a mountain automatically becomes an optimistic expert in weather forecasting. "Aye it'll definitely be sunny by the time you reach the top". Must be something in the Irn-Bru.

After a few attempts at practicing our ballerina skills to avoid slips, trips and falls we had descended down Beinn Narnain and began the ascent up Beinn Ime.

Nothing much to note from the walk up Beinn Ime other than we were guaranteed to be basking in the sun by the time we finally got to the top.

You guessed it. Cloud! Busy summit at Beinn Ime with people arriving from all directions. Hats off to the chap to my left who got to the top and cracked open a bottle of Rum and Coke in true Scottish fashion.
IMG_1140.jpg

This was my third time to complete The Cobbler. First time we were able to thread 'the needle' but had no views to look down to and the second the weather was just too bad to even attempt. Surely today we would get lucky?

The weather everywhere wasn't looking promising.
IMG_1143.jpg

Just about at the top of The Cobbler - the sun was trying so hard to break through the clouds!
IMG_1144.jpg

In the never ending battle between the sun and the clouds - today the proud winner was the clouds. :(
IMG_1152.jpg

Without a shadow of a doubt it wouldn't have been safe, sensible or wise to attempt to thread the needle today. On the plus side it offers a great excuse to go back on a sunnier occasion!
Here are a few of my photos from the route down through the clouds back to the car.

Dads hair blending in nicely with the clouds...
IMG_1154.jpg

Myself and Dad with 'the boulder' - sure I read somewhere this one has a name or some significance?
IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

Until the next time - it has been a pleasure!
IMG_1170.jpg

Poor fox!
300815_1336.jpg

Okay the weather might not have been perfect, views were somewhat restricted but surely there isn't many better ways to spend your Sunday?

Looking forward to the next adventure and will most certainly be back to complete this circuit in hopefully better weather!

Over and out,
Andy
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andygunn23

Munros:232   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Islands:12

Re: Adventure Always Awaits in the Arrochar Alps

Postby dooterbang » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:18 pm

A great wee circuit this, nice to see you taking it easy :lol:

These are my local hills. All great in winter. The ascent route you took up Narnain was frozen over one early xmas nmorning, my mate and I had donned the crampons from the off all the way up that stream.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland