walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A fairy strange place near Uig

A fairy strange place near Uig

Postby denfinella » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Route description: The Fairy Glen, near Uig

Date walked: 23/08/2015

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 40m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast for today was a drastically improving one - heavy rain soon clearing and giving way to sunshine, temperatures well over 20C and 50mph+ winds! While waiting for the sunshine, we decided to head to Uig to explore it's Fairy Glen.

fairyglen.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was still grey but already warm and muggy when we arrived at the layby. This is one of those places perfect for just wandering around and exploring - Skye has these in abundance. We had a great time climbing all the bizarre, miniature rock formations and generally being silly. We roughly followed the walkhighlands route, but it doesn't really matter of course. Castle Ewen's rocky tower had a great view over the whole area, but plenty of the other lumps and bumps were good vantage points as well. With all the short-cropped grass, sheep and rabbits wandering about all over the place, and the un-natural, illogically shaped landcapes, it felt a bit like we were in the land of the Teletubbies...

No point in describing everything in detail, but here are a few photos.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Skye 2015
Previous day: Marsco: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56477
Lunchtime: Loch Sneosdal and crags: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56579
Last edited by denfinella on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: A fairy strange place near Uig

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:10 am

Interesting area to explore - looks worth a visit. Haven't been here for a long time - only vague memories but do remember visiting the broch - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dbogosian » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:10 am

What a fascinating place! Reminds me of Hobbiton, perhaps, or Bag End. :wink:
Lovely photos, thanks much.
dbogosian
Mountain Walker

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:9

Postby Chris Mac » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:17 pm

Wow! Great photos, thanks for sharing! It looks like another world there... i'm looking forward to visiting it at some point. Cheers!! :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby denfinella » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:13 pm

rockhopper wrote:Interesting area to explore - looks worth a visit. Haven't been here for a long time - only vague memories but do remember visiting the broch - cheers :)

dbogosian wrote:What a fascinating place! Reminds me of Hobbiton, perhaps, or Bag End. :wink:
Lovely photos, thanks much.

Chris Mac wrote:Wow! Great photos, thanks for sharing! It looks like another world there... i'm looking forward to visiting it at some point. Cheers!! :clap:

Thanks all :) definitely worth a visit! Rockhopper, which broch do you mean?
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:21 pm

denfinella wrote:which broch do you mean?

:oops: :oops: oops - the memory's not what it used to be :roll: think I'm mixing it up with the Uig tower / Captain Fraser's folly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uig_Tower

Uig Tower 20090608 [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], by Otter (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:50 pm

Interesting place and looks worth a visit the next time I'm on Skye. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby denfinella » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:26 pm

rockhopper wrote:
denfinella wrote:which broch do you mean?

:oops: :oops: oops - the memory's not what it used to be :roll: think I'm mixing it up with the Uig tower / Captain Fraser's folly

Ah, OK. Yes, we noticed that from the roadside. It does look a bit like a broch though!

dogplodder wrote:Interesting place and looks worth a visit the next time I'm on Skye. 8)

Definitely dogplodder!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:23 am

I always thought this glen was built by a secret army of dwarfs, running around with shovels and wheelbarrows...

I remember finding miniature versions of different mountains - mini-Glamaig, mini-Aonach Eagach ridge, mini-South Glenshiel Ridge, etc. Weird, amusing and absolutely stunning place.

Speaking of ruins nearby, there is a little castle just down the A87 from Uig, Hugh's Castle, about 2km walk to the ruins, not a big one but a lovely, quiet place with superb coastal views.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby denfinella » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:18 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I always thought this glen was built by a secret army of dwarfs, running around with shovels and wheelbarrows...

I remember finding miniature versions of different mountains - mini-Glamaig, mini-Aonach Eagach ridge, mini-South Glenshiel Ridge, etc. Weird, amusing and absolutely stunning place.

Speaking of ruins nearby, there is a little castle just down the A87 from Uig... about 2km walk to the ruins, not a big one but a lovely, quiet place with superb coastal views.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but you're right, there definitely are a lot of mini-Glamaigs there at least!

Hugh's Castle looks interesting, I hadn't spotted that before, thanks. Will add it to the wishlist...
denfinella
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland