walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quieter arrival to Goatfell!

A quieter arrival to Goatfell!

Postby Nicki85 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Route description: Goatfell, from Corrie

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 29/09/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 889m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I seem to have hit it lucky with this trip to Arran :) Today I decided we had to do Goatfell but as I hate crowds I thought we'd take the scenic route up to North Goatfell and along the Stacach ridge to Goatfell. I was so glad we did! This was a lovely route, paths fantastic throughout. No bogs or wet feet.... fantastic!

So, we set off through the forest and heather...

Then followed an excellent path along to the proper ascent for North Goatfell. You can see the entire ridge and Goatfell in this pic.

The climb was hard work, but aren't they always?! I've figured now that for the first 300m i'm fine, the next 300m I want to give up and the last 300m I'm determined to get to the top!!

Looking along the ridge once i'd gained some ground-

and looking back the way we had come

We kept to the left of the ridge as advised in various reports to avoid the tricky bits... It was very easy, much easier than what we'd faced doing the three beinns earlier in the week! A few pics of the paths along the ridge.

Looking back along the ridge just before Goatfell

Just about to head up to Goatfell itself

Nice easy wander through the bolders to the top and there was no one at the summit!

You really couldn't beat the views on this walk... on a clear day they are amazing.
Witches step behind and what we've just done...

Witches Step and Cir Mhor

Not sure with this one.

Then we joined the tourist route back down and must have met 60 odd people before we continued along the ridge rather than heading down to Brodick. It was a bit of a shock having not seen anyone for the past four hours or so! Anyhow, pics heading down...

Looking back to Goatfell

Looking down on the next bit of the walk

Just keep walking...

Looking over to Brodick and Holy Island

Paths down really good, went across the stream (burn?) without issue and back down to the car easy peasy. Descent only took 45mins once we'd passed the crowds!

Lovely day on the hills!
Nicki85
Mountaineer

Re: A quieter arrival to Goatfell!

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:24 pm

Nice!

If you like an easy scramble, you can also do this starting over Cioch na h'Oighe to the north.

The photo you say you aren't sure about is looking towards your previous Three Beinns walk, with Beinn Tarsuinn in the cloud behind, and Ciabhlain to the left. The ridge on the right is A'Chir.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: A quieter arrival to Goatfell!

Postby Silverhill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Stunning, thanks for sharing! Goatfell is now on my list! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland