walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunsets, Sunrises and inversions on a Trossachs Wild Camp

Sunsets, Sunrises and inversions on a Trossachs Wild Camp

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:33 pm

Route description: Ben A'an

Date walked: 03/10/2015

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben A’an……… not a Munro, not a Corbett and not a Graham or Donald but a very fine “small pointed peak” ;) Not been for a while but had kids up here a few times from early on and a grand family day out when three generations reached the top for a some fine photo opportunities…. I have fond memories of Ben A’an as I’m sure many of you do as well…… Time was right to head back.

Video reports:

My last wild camp was a memorable trip to Glencoe at the end of 2014, and what a trip it was. I headed out on various excursions until my knee let me down in April…. Surgery is scheduled for November but I’ve been busy at physio in last 6 months trying to strengthen it. A few weeks ago I ventured into Glen Almond on the bike and this gave me confidence to try a wild camp. Ben A’an was chosen, a fine peak and not too strenuous so as to overdo it for the knee…… The weather has been glorious and so it proved to be in Trossachs for this trip.

Another positive from not being in the hills for most of the year is that’s it’s given me time to pursue some other interests. One of these has been my fascination with drones, these would add a new dimension to the Steaming Boots library, so I finally purchased one a few months ago and have been practising in muddy fields!!! This was going to be my first wild camp with my new toy- fun indeed!

So having done some research, I realised the normal route was closed due to the forest clearance, so I headed for the Ben Venue car park when I left nervously at around 16.30. Slowly I headed up through the new path, I rather liked it, in act I preferred it, and the forest seemed less commercial? I was taking it really slowly but there was no rush and the blue skies and warm weather was making it enjoyable, however these same factors were also making me worried for one reason – would the midge descend on me!! (thankfully I had packed my Smidge which came in useful!!)
The first people I met was at the confluence of the diversion back onto the old path and near the “rest stone “ before the final pull. Brightening my mood they said I’d have the summit to myself and that only two others were behind them. I said my hellos and slowly headed on. I soon met the last couple to leave the summit, we said our hellos and I took the opportunity to chat for a while to rest the knee. It was getting stiff and sore but I didn’t have too far to go. The skies were blue and the views extensive as I reached the summit of the “small pointed peak”.
I scrambled to the top and soaked in the views – amazing !!!

ImageWatching and waiting (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Next I set up camp, and what a site I found! An amazing place to camp and the peak certainly feels like it should be worthy of a higher status – a Munro a least a Corbett ;) The only other chore was to find water – always a chore on summit camps as you have to drop a little to find any… My prior map research proved worthy while and a little excursion found me some water, my knee was not liking this excursion so I was glad that I was now settled for the night – time to play with the cameras……

ImagePhanotom summit shot3 by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

As always I took so many videos and photos, I didn’t get tea till dusk had passed and even after that I was out playing with apertures, shutters, F stops and ISOs to see what setting would give me some astro star shots !! Much fun!!!!

ImageSCAP bgd (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagesummitnight (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

I eventually hit the hay about 22.00hrs.

As always I was up early – 05.00hrs or there about…. I peeked outside and the moon light revealed what I had hoped for – an inversion. The cloud covered both Loch Achray and Katrine and joined in the middle giving one large loch of fog!! I was soon up and snapping away again.

ImageSCARP SUNRI (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageSCARP CALM (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Sunrise was about 7.20am so I brewed up some required caffeine and had breaky about 06.30am. Some how meals always taste better on a wild camp? The first sign of dawn were showing and I waited patiently for the sunrise….

ImageTROSSACH SUNRISE Ben A'an by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageSunny VENUE (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

It was amazing – with the inversion and being above the cloud, watching the sunrise was one of those moments I live for. Most people are still tucked up in bed and those who are not are looking out of the window thinking the weathers poor ;) – not up here………. I hope the video does it justice.

I headed back and was back at the car for 08.15 with rather stiff and sore knee. The descent as expected was testing but am I glad I did this? I hope the answer is obvious…..

Imagemoon above Ben Venue after a wild camp on Ben A'an by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Sunsets, Sunrises and inversions on a Trossachs Wild Cam

Postby hopper68 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:47 pm

I really enjoyed that thanks for sharing..
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:36 am

Super pics and video :clap: :clap: What model drone did you use I am thinking getting one
as long as they are idiot proof :lol: :lol:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gazzareth » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Great photo's there, loving the drone footage...

G
gazzareth
Hill Bagger

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Stunning stuff yet again. Loving the drone action, looks so much better with the birds eye view. Ben An is a great wee hill, I took in a nice sunset last year then walked out through the woods. That inversion is awesome, like the pano vid at 11.00mins. Hope the knee stands up well and the surgery is a success. Keep taking it easy.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Amazing ...loved that :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:01 am

jamesb63 wrote:Super pics and video :clap: :clap: What model drone did you use I am thinking getting one
as long as they are idiot proof :lol: :lol:

Thanks James, have the phantom3 standard - its great and pretty easy to use from straight off, good fun too :) Hope you have fun with yours :)

ATB
Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:01 am

hopper68 wrote:I really enjoyed that thanks for sharing..

Thanks Hopper :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:02 am

dooterbang wrote:Stunning stuff yet again. Loving the drone action, looks so much better with the birds eye view. Ben An is a great wee hill, I took in a nice sunset last year then walked out through the woods. That inversion is awesome, like the pano vid at 11.00mins. Hope the knee stands up well and the surgery is a success. Keep taking it easy.

Thanks Dooterbang, got lucky with the inversion, always an amazing sigh above the clouds and fog :) Thanks for watching

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby litljortindan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Great stuff. Good to have a drone shooting things in a nice way! Hope the knee was ok afterwards and that it will be in the future.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:33 pm

Good decision to buy a drone! What a great video! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:56 pm

litljortindan wrote:Great stuff. Good to have a drone shooting things in a nice way! Hope the knee was ok afterwards and that it will be in the future.

Thanks lJD - knee ok at moment but not too long under surgery - have just bought pannier rack so wild camping may be done via bike for next few outings to save knee!!

ATB

M
wilkiemurray

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:39 am

Fantastic. There seem to have been lots of "inversion" reports recently, and this is up there with the best.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Great photos and the 1st class Video...Wow ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beautiful inversion, sunset, sunrise.......really enjoyed :clap: 8) :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:48 am

Mal Grey wrote:Fantastic. There seem to have been lots of "inversion" reports recently, and this is up there with the best.

Thanks Mal- nothing beats a nice inversion:) was rather happy waking to see it below me - fingers crossed there be more of these to come :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland