walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hitting the Century on Buachaille Etive Beag

Hitting the Century on Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 04/10/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 7.97 km

Ascent: 999m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

BuachailleEtiveBeag.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked up in the layby across from the big cairn, 'suited n booted' by 10am. The day was looking good with high cloud. Down in the Glen you could tell we're nearing winter ... it was a cold start to the day, only 1 degree according to the car thermostat. As we climbed up, some sunlight broke over the tops of the hills giving a little welcome heat.

Starting on the Lairig Eilde path and turning left up Mam Bhuide.

Views begin to open up across Beinn Fhada to Stob Coire nan Lochan.

The view back to the A82 and Am Bodach

Reaching the bealach on Etive Beag it was quite warm when the sun wasn't behind the clouds, but there was a definite nip to the wind blowing across the ridge. We decided to tackle Stob Coire Raineach first, in the hope that the views down Glencoe would be a good backdrop for my hundredth munro summit. The climb up to SCR was steep and boulder strewn, but easy to gain height quickly.

Reaching the bealach and seeing the ascent of Stob Coire Raineach.

At the summit of Stob Coire Raineach, it turned out, the views down Glencoe were mostly blocked by the nose of Stob nan Cabar, but the views across the surrounding hills were stunning and fab momentos for my 100th :D

Stob Coire Raineach summit ... 100th !!!! ... and my usual uncomfortable camera pose :lol:

Allison on the summit of Stob Coire Raineach.

Ben Nevis hiding its head in the clouds.

Summit view to Stob Coire Sgreamhach, Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire nan Lochan

Zoom to Stob Coire nan Lochan and its pinnacle buttresses on the right

Blackwater Reservoir.

Looking to the next target of the day, Stob Dubh.

Leaving SCR behind, we head back down to the bealach for some lunch (tuna pasta :wink: ) before starting the climb to Stob Dubh and its ridge. The ascent up to the first cairn at the start of the ridge is a pleasant walk.

Starting the Ascent up to the ridge for Stob Dubh

Reaching the cairn at the 902m spot height, the view of the ridge is very cool. Although it looks sharp, its an easy walk across. On the final ascent, it did get a little narrower and rocky, but never difficult.

Getting onto the ridge it looks impressively knife-edge(y)!

Reaching the summit there are 2 cairns. GPS confirmed the first was the true summit, but the usual optical illusion made the further cairn look higher. So I made my way over to make sure. Looking back, the illusion was confirmed and I could see the first cairn was definitely higher. However, its was worthwhile visiting the second as you get great views to Loch Etive.

Stob Dubh summit cairn ... 101st ... The second cairn peaking behind does look higher?

The view off the end of Stob Dubh to Loch Etive.

Allison waiting up on the summit of Stob Dubh, obviously higher and dispelling the optical illusion.

Looking across to Coire Eilde and the peak of Stob Coire Sgreamhach.

Leaving Stob Dubh, we retraced our steps back to the bealach and began the descent down the well constructed path, complete with stone staircase, back to the car. Despite our leisurely pace and stops, we still managed to return in, just under, the outside book time of 6 hours.

When I started this hillwalking malarky for a bit of exercise, I never imagined I was starting something that would see me on 100 munro summits! Having reached triple digits, little thoughts are surfacing on the possibility of compleating :crazy: :shock: :lol:

Anyway, 182 more munro summits out there for me to think about ... each day as it comes and each summit one at a time, maybe one day ... :wink:

The return journey, looking back across to Stob Coire Raineach.

Buachaille Etive Beag Photo Album
Last edited by SecretSquirrel on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Re: Hitting the Century on Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby basscadet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Oh a century :clap: And so good, it got posted up twice :lol:
For me, this was when the bagging bug really took hold.. :shock:
managed to shake it now I think :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:11 pm

basscadet wrote:Oh a century :clap: And so good, it got posted up twice :lol:
For me, this was when the bagging bug really took hold.. :shock:
managed to shake it now I think :wink:

Thanks Basscadet.

oops ... no idea how it got duplicated! But I've shifted the other copy to blog only ... now to figure out if its possible to delete a post .... hmmmmm :?

I can imagine my bagging bug waning, but never the want/need of being on the hills :D
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:19 pm

Och we have all done it...No way to delete really although if you PM Paul, he may be able to remove it?

As for the bagging bug - I've been cured for at least a year, but still manage to have a chaotic life as I neglect it in favour of the hills more often than not..
A week back from Holidays, bag still only half unpacked, but now has another on top from this past weekend that also needs unpacking :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:01 pm

basscadet wrote:Och we have all done it...No way to delete really although if you PM Paul, he may be able to remove it?:

Since the dupe can't be deleted it can stay safely 'hidden' in my blog, ready for editing when I've got a new TR to post.

basscadet wrote:As for the bagging bug - I've been cured for at least a year, but still manage to have a chaotic life as I neglect it in favour of the hills more often than not..
A week back from Holidays, bag still only half unpacked, but now has another on top from this past weekend that also needs unpacking :lol:

I can completely relate to that :lol: Working Mon-Fri and on the hills at the weekend means there is a mounting stack of jobs at home waiting to be done. I'd imagine most of us are in the same boat :lol:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Congratulations on the ton! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Now it's only 40 M's to halfway point...

Great mountain to celebrate. I'm waiting for a nice white day to do it in winter conditions.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:39 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Congratulations on the ton! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Now it's only 40 M's to halfway point...

Great mountain to celebrate. I'm waiting for a nice white day to do it in winter conditions.

Thanks BP! I'm really looking forward to the 141 milestone now :D

I'd love to return to Etive Beag for a winter climb too, but I will need to overcome the draw of ticking new blue baloons which normally has me heading for Corbetts and Grahams in winter. Maybe one day I'll overcome that ailment like Basscadet :wink:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Great day and great hill to hit the ton on.

Probably need to head back to these two as I was clag bound all day except when I turned round when approaching the car and looked up to see a clear summit :( :( :(
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:05 pm

Another great Wee Buchaille walk report with quality pics that makes me want to head to Glen Coe sooner rather than later...! Congrats on the big 100!!

You're doing well working your way north and west, I bet you can't wait to tick off a few more up in that direction?! :D
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Superb set of photographs for your ton up hill :clap: :clap: :D Wonderful wee hillwalk on mostly good paths, with awesome views in all directions :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby simon-b » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:42 pm

Congratulations on the 100, SS. A great day to celebrate, with nice views.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Silverhill » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Congratulations on reaching the 100 milestone, well done! :clap: What a great day you had for it and I agree about the views from the second cairn. Magnificent!
Halfway is around the corner now, only 40 more to go. :wink:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Great day and great hill to hit the ton on.

Probably need to head back to these two as I was clag bound all day except when I turned round when approaching the car and looked up to see a clear summit :( :( :(

Thanks Gordie! The views to Loch Etive are especially good and worth the effort.

Chris Mac wrote:Another great Wee Buchaille walk report with quality pics that makes me want to head to Glen Coe sooner rather than later...! Congrats on the big 100!!

You're doing well working your way north and west, I bet you can't wait to tick off a few more up in that direction?! :D

Cheers Chris! The Wee Buachaille is a worthwhile visit, especially as we head into winter and shorter days.

The hills to the NW above the Great Glen look stunning and very enticing! I tend to let the weather forecast decide whether I head East for the Cairngorms or to the West Highlands, but I'll hopefully get up that way next year!

The Rodmiester wrote:Superb set of photographs for your ton up hill :clap: :clap: :D Wonderful wee hillwalk on mostly good paths, with awesome views in all directions :D

Thanks Rod!

simon-b wrote:Congratulations on the 100, SS. A great day to celebrate, with nice views.

Thanks Simon, the views were great, and having dragged my other half out to join me, it was nice to share a leisurely milestone day rather than motoring around solo :lol:

Silverhill wrote:Congratulations on reaching the 100 milestone, well done! :clap: What a great day you had for it and I agree about the views from the second cairn. Magnificent!
Halfway is around the corner now, only 40 more to go. :wink:

Cheers Silverhill! 40 more indeed! Having passed the hundred, 40 munros doesn't sound as daunting as it used to :wink:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Great view to Loch Etive.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:38 am

litljortindan wrote:Great view to Loch Etive.

I do like the grey cloud ceiling hanging above the hilltops in that picture. It doesn't show in the photograph, but it was actually quite a nice day!
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland