walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

beautiful revenge day 2 and 3

beautiful revenge day 2 and 3

Postby jacob » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:13 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewelyn, Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Pen yr Helgi Du, Pen yr Ole Wen, Tryfan, Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 02/10/2015

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is part 2 of my three day hike in Wales, containing photos of day 2 and 3. Day 1 is in another report "beautiful revenge day 1". Link: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57003

Hope you enjoy.

SAM_1197.JPG
View on Llyn Ogwen, from Tryfan

SAM_1203.JPG
View on Llyn Ogwen. I like the long shadow of Tryfan itself

SAM_1204.JPG
Still views from the ascend. With the sun still low, shadows are long.

SAM_1208.JPG
view down from Tryfan

SAM_1226.JPG
View from between Adam and Eve. New shoes (see part 1).

SAM_1228.JPG
This is already taken from Glyder Fach. It is a view back on Tryfan, which looks really small and easy from this point. No pictures in between the Tryfan summit and here have been taken, seen that I've come up Glyder Fach through a (I don't know if it was "sinister") gully which really required me to hold on with both hands. (Edit: I suspect now it must be main gully, which despite it's name is said to be technically more difficult and with greater exposure than sinister. Main is to the right, sinister more to the left.) I don't know if I really went up the stupid way, but at no point I could relax or let go, without trying to fly.

SAM_1229.JPG
Looking at the Snowdon horseshoe from the summit of Glyder Fach

SAM_1238.JPG
Same view, but closer now, from Glyder Fawr.

SAM_1251.JPG
Before going up Y Garn, there's first the descend of Glyder Fawr, which is quite annoying with all the steep scree and erosion. Luckily, downstairs, there's beautiful Devil's Kitchen.

SAM_1257.JPG
On my way up Y Garn, looking back at the first part of the route, Tryfan, Bristley Ridge and Glyder Fach

SAM_1261.JPG
Looking at Snowdon from Y Garn summit.

SAM_1270.JPG
The end of the walk goes through this nice little gully, looking out on next day's Carnedd Dafydd

SAM_1272.JPG
Day 3 starting of with an nice walk past Glan Dena

SAM_1277.JPG
Going up to Cwm Lloer, there's a nice view back on Llyn Ogwen

SAM_1281.JPG
Cwm Lloer. Found some people wildcamping, and they were right to do so...
What a stunning little mountain lake.

SAM_1288.JPG
Looking at the Glyderreau from Pen yr Ole Wen. Proudly showing of my newest boots (see part 1)

SAM_1305.JPG
Looking down the steep slopes of what looks to be Ysgolion Duon from the map. Anyway, the north side of Carnedd Dafydd.

SAM_1306.JPG
Same valley, north of Carnedd Dafydd

SAM_1314.JPG
looking down one of the gullies of Bwich Eryl Farchog, the ridge between Carnedd Llewelyn and Penn Yr Helgi Du.

SAM_1324.JPG
Nice little lake on the way down from Y Braich

SAM_1329.JPG
After the descend, looking west to Tryfan, where my campsite was.

SAM_1334.JPG
And a last view on Tryfan itself, in my opinion one of the most striking views of Snowdonia.
Last edited by jacob on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: beautiful revenge day 2 and 3

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:06 pm

Another day, another set of boots Jacob :lol: So glad to see the weather stick with you again for day 2 and 3, so all is well....as long as your girlfriend din't want to go hiking while you were away :lol: Another bunch of great shots of Wales doing it's best to make things up to you :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: beautiful revenge day 2 and 3

Postby jacob » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:34 am

ChrisW wrote:Another day, another set of boots Jacob

Yes, quite luxurious, isn't it :wink:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland