walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

beautiful revenge day 1, video edited in last reply

beautiful revenge day 1, video edited in last reply

Postby jacob » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewelyn, Crib Goch, Crib y Ddysgl, Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Pen yr Helgi Du, Pen yr Ole Wen, Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa, Tryfan, Y Garn (Glyders), Y Lliwedd

Date walked: 01/10/2015

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did visit Wales once before, not too long ago. Due to personal reasons I was feeling very frustrated, angry and sad at the same time. Not too good a mix of emotions to do some proper preparations for an escapism holiday. As I soon found out. I didn't bring my cooking equipment, sleeping mat, a towel, or even my undies. Very unsettling as you can imagine. So on my way from Holland to Wales, I bought a sleeping mat in Birmingham Decathon, same place where I bought some nice long undies, bought a towel in who knows where, and some more undies in Betws-y-Coed.
And all of that effort for what? For three days of mist and rain. I even posted one or two photos on this site.
I was feeling more frustrated when I came back. So far for escapism.

So, last wednesday, some two months later, having 6 days off, no important appointments and good weather forecast for Wales, I decided to set off again. Fingers crossed.

I had planned 3 routes, the Snowdon horseshoe, the Glyders and Y Garn and the Carneddeau. So, on my first morning, ready to set of to Pen y Pass for the horseshoe, I put on one shoe. Oh yes, that great feeling of having great boots on your feet. I put on the other shoe. Oh yes,.....wait, why are my toes hurting in this one? Checked the size. I really did think I was better prepared than last time. Only to discover that I did bring one of my own boots, and the other was my girlfriend's. Good start.

So, off to Snowdon on my already worn out Puma sneakers, that don't even deserve the name sportshoe anymore. Falling apart while looking at them. So after the horseshoe I went to an outdoorshop. Bought some fairly cheap new shoes. Set off with them on day two of my visit. Great shoes. Until, luckily enough at the end of the walk, the whole sole came loose. Brought them back and got a refund. So I went to another outdoor shop and yet again bought a new pair of cheap boots. All three days on different not so good boots, while my brave Meindls where waiting for me. One in the back of the car, the other back home in Holland.

I did however get my revenge on Wales. The weather has been great, the walks have been fantastic, and the Whelsh have been nothing but friendly. I hope you enjoy my photos. This post contains day 1. I'll make a separate post for day 2.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57004

SAM_1041.JPG
Morning view on Tryfan. Same morning I found out about my boots.

SAM_1042.JPG
morning view while driving towards Pen y Pass

SAM_1043.JPG

SAM_1046.JPG

SAM_1054.JPG
view backwards while on my way up to the start of Crib Goch

SAM_1060.JPG
view inside the horseshoe, from where the way to Crib Goch separates from the Pyg track.

SAM_1072.JPG
view inside the horseshoe

SAM_1079.JPG
inside the horseshoe

SAM_1085.JPG
view backwards just before the scrambling begins

SAM_1087.JPG
looking forward to Crib Goch.

SAM_1096.JPG
view from Crib Goch

SAM_1099.JPG
Some Welshman I met with whom I've completed the horseshoe. Thanks again guys.
(But please send me the photos)

SAM_1100.JPG
looking down from Crib Goch

SAM_1104.JPG
standing on one pinnacle, looking to the next

SAM_1106.JPG
looking backwards on the less steep slope

SAM_1110.JPG
standing on top of one of the pinnacles

SAM_1111.JPG
looking down from the pinnacle

SAM_1115.JPG
again

SAM_1123.JPG
climbing one of the pinnacles

SAM_1161.JPG
Rest of the horseshoe after having finished Crib Goch

SAM_1171.JPG
view down the steep slopes of Y Lliwedd

SAM_1180.JPG
view down Lliwedd

SAM_1187.JPG
view down Lliwedd
Last edited by jacob on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: beautiful revenge day 1

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:59 pm

I'm so glad the weather turned out great for you Jacob, I think you deserve it after that run of 'fortune'. You certainly captured some beautiful shots of the hills :clap: I guess you're lucky that those cheap boots didn't result in a bunch of blisters too :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trailmasher » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Some great ethereal images there Jacob :clap: and suggest taking girlfriend along next time so that you're sure of two matching boot sizes :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jacob » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:32 am

trailmasher wrote:Some great ethereal images there Jacob :clap: and suggest taking girlfriend along next time so that you're sure of two matching boot sizes :lol:

Thanks. And next GB visit will be together :wink: . It's up to Skye and (again) the far north next May. Skye is new to us, I can't wait.
jacob

Re: beautiful revenge day 1, video edited in last reply

Postby jacob » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:00 pm

I know, I know, it's not quite Oscar or Golden Palm material, in fact it's really crappy, but it's my first ever video, specially edited to prevent the mrs from having to sit through real boring raw material. :lol:

" />
jacob

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland