walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arran 4

Arran 4

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn, Caisteal Abhail, Cìr Mhòr, Goat Fell

Date walked: 03/10/2015

Time taken: 8.45 hours

Distance: 27.9 km

Ascent: 2203m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A big, long and beautiful day taking in the four Corbetts of Arran.

We went over by foot and did the walk from the first ferry before catching the last ferry home. Walking all the way to make this a very pure route.

Cloudier than previous days but, with hardly any wind and the tops all clear, the weather was pretty perfect.

Great to meet kiltedbiggles on the ridge and chat to a Munroist and WH'er in person - sorry if I made Kinder Scout sound like a bog fest mate!

1 - Ferry 1.JPG
Engaging outline of the Arran peaks from the early morning ferry

3 - Ben Nuis ahead.JPG
In Glen Rosa now with Beinn Nuis in view

4 - Cir Mhor.JPG
First look at Cir Mhor up Glen Rosa

5 - Goat Fell.JPG
Goat Fell on the other side of Glen Rosa

6 - Peaks of Arran.JPG
The peaks of Arran laid out in front of us

7 - Nuisand Tarsuin.JPG
Beinn Nuis and Beinn Tarsuinn

9 - Tarsuin.JPG
Beinn Tarsuinn ahead along the ridge from Beinn Nuis

10 - A Chir.JPG
A'Chir ahead now as we descend Beinn Tarsuinn. I dare say the conditions were perfect for this airy ridge and while it looked more than doable from this side we were aware the other side was where the potential climbs were and as we had no rope and were on a tight schedule it was with great pity we took the bypass path.

11 - A Chir back.JPG
Looking back at A'Chir - the bypass path goes along it's other side and regains height for the next saddle

11 - Casteill.JPG
Caisteal Abhail ahead - a handy path leads to the ascent from here

Alternative to 12.JPG
Cir Mhor and Goat Fell from the first top of Caisteal Abhail

Me Casteill.JPG
Me I believe on the true summit of Caisteal Abhail

13 - Back to A Chir and Tarsuin.JPG
Looking back to A'Chir and Beinn Tarsuinn

14 - Ridge off Casteill.JPG
Ridge off Caisteal Abhail to Glen Sannox

15 Goat Fell ahead.JPG
The route ahead to North Goat Fell from Cir Mhor Summit

13 Witches Step.JPG
The Witches Step from Cir Mhor Summit

16 - Descent.JPG
Tricky descent from Cir Mhor.

18 - Our Route off.JPG
Looking back at our initial and tricky descent off Cir Mhor

17 - Path off.JPG
....and looking back at what appeared to be the better path we didn't take!

20 - back down ridge.JPG
Looking back down the ridge from North Goat Fell

21 - Goat Fell ahead.JPG
Goat Fell ahead with the scramblers playground pinnacles on the way

22 - Goat Fell Summit.jpeg
Four down!

23 - Brodick and Holy Isle.JPG
Looking at Brodick and the Holy Island from the top of Goat Fell

24 - Refreshment.JPG
The tourist path on Goat Fell comes out handily at the Arran Brewery where we refueled on Arran Blonde and Iron Brew before taking the Fisherman's Way path along the beach to Brodick.
Unfortunately this was flooded (must be a regular thing surely?) so we had to cut back across the golf course to the ferry point. We were a couple of hours early so a few more pints were had in the pub across the road before taking the ferry back to Ardrossan.
Last edited by Broggy1 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Arran 4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:15 pm

Planning on a week on Arran next year so this is a great way for the appetite to be wetted. Not sure we'll be climbing all four in the same walk however!
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Silverhill » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 pm

A great looking walk, thanks for sharing! :D I have put it on my Arran to-do list
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:08 am

Broggy1 wrote:A big, long and beautiful day taking in the four Corbetts of Arran.

It certainly is a big long walk but so worth it for the variety and stunning views at every turn! I think I have almost the same set of photo's as you from doing the same route in July, minus Fishermans walk, as our "pure" route involved walking from the ferry to the family home, staying the night and then heading off the next day and returning home after for a very well earned rest before walking back for the ferry the day after, with pretty tired legs as the hill fitness was low for both of us then! :crazy:

Fishermans Walk never used to flood as much until Charlie Ford the local arsehole laird sold half of the sand on Brodick beach to the Arabs for their golf courses, which is why the main part of Brodick beach is such a mess now, not happy about that at all as are most people, so blame him for your diversion! :(

We managed to get a cracking day for it when we did the 6 peak/4 Corbett challenge, i'm glad you enjoyed it along with some of the local beverages! We also took the not so easy scramble route down off the summit of Cir Mhor, it looks much steeper and worse once you reach the bottom and look at what you came down! :D

I did the Beinn Bharrain/Mullach Buidhe/Beinn Bhreac traverse in September which was also a great walk but kept looking over with jealousy at the Corbetts... well worth it for the view of them from there though.

I'm heading back next weekend to do a more local walk or two around Brodick, probably A'Cruach and the Clauchland Hills but i'm planning a big Graham top route from Sannox to Brodick at some point to take in the summits I missed the last time. Cheers for sharing Broggy! :)

Johnny and silverhill, you won't be disappointed when you head over to the rock, loads of fun to be had and plenty to choose from, enjoy!!
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:13 pm

Cracking route, done them all individually and each one is a long route in themselves :clap:
Chris Mac wrote:
Fishermans Walk never used to flood as much until Charlie Ford the local arsehole laird sold half of the sand on Brodick beach to the Arabs for their golf courses, which is why the main part of Brodick beach is such a mess now, not happy about that at all as are most people, so blame him for your diversion! :(

:clap: brilliant !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:39 pm

cracking day :thumbup: one for the future for me but reckon I'd need to allow a bit longer than you :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland