walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pike Of Blisco, Crinkle Crags and Angle Tarn Wild Camp

Pike Of Blisco, Crinkle Crags and Angle Tarn Wild Camp

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:59 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowfell, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, Esk Pike, Pike o'Blisco, Rosset Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowfell, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags (Long Top), Esk Pike, Pike of Blisco, Rossett Pike

Date walked: 07/10/2015

Time taken: 20

Distance: 20.2 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wild Camp at Angle Tarn

I had two days off work so decided to go for a wild camp up near Bowfell.

I drove across Hardknott and Wrynose passes which were interesting driving but didn't meet many cars on the way over, so it was a decent run!

I parked up on the road near to the base of Pike of Blisco and set off; massive bag in tow...

I climbed up the side of Pike Of Blisco, enjoying the small amounts of scrambling as I got nearer to the top. The weather was decent so I got some pretty outstanding views back down the valley toward the langdales!

I climbed down to Red Tarn, and then decided to take a left and work my way up Cold Fell, not much of a path leading up Cold Fell so I tried to contour around and make it less painful for my legs! The top of Cold fell gave some good views of Crinkle Crags ahead, as well as Pike of Blisco.

I then made my way down from Cold Pike and back to the path leading up to Crinkle Crags, I followed the route to the top and then weaved my way down to three tarns; enjoying the views as I went.

From here I had to force my legs to keep going, fatigue definitely setting in. Never the less I clambered up Bowfell, and then descended the other side, toward Esk Pike. I spent a good few moments deciding whether or not to punish my legs more and climb Esk Pike... before doing so.

I then made my way back down Esk Pike the way I had climbed, and wandered down to Angle Tarn, where I was going to spend the night.

I walked around the shore of Angle Tarn before finding a decent spot to set up camp. Once the tent was up and kit was inside; and I was begining to feel more human again, I decided to go for a wander up Rossett Pike as I had a few hours of daylight to burn... and had forgotten my book (School boy error).

After reaching the top of Rossett Pike I called home to let the wife know I had arrived safely, then went back down to camp. I dipped my aching feet in the tarn, then cooked myself a nice meal before settling down in the tent and going over the map!

I got a decent nights sleep, the Tarn is quite sheltered so there was hardly and wind whatsoever; but true enough to form I once again woke up in the clag!

After packing the tent away I shouldered the bag again before descending into the Mickleden valley, and back to the car!

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Re: Pike Of Blisco, Crinkle Crags and Angle Tarn Wild Camp

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:54 pm

That's a great looking camping spot, bit of a bugger that you forgot your book but at least you had a map to 'read' :lol:

I guess waking up to clag was a bit of a disappointment to but at least you got some nice shots the day before :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trailmasher » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:27 pm

Well that was a good old ramble over some great hills and good to see you still had life in the legs to get Esk Pike and Rossett Pike in :clap: . Quite a start to a walk with Pike 'o Blisco and then Cold Pike before setting off to do the Crinkles so well done you :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Nice looking trip. Angle Tarn is a great place to wild camp - especially when it's as mirror-calm as that. I chose to camp there when doing a variation on AW's Coast to Coast walk; I was very lucky to have perfect weather. Brings back some great memories. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland