walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Eoin - show me heaven!

Beinn an Eoin - show me heaven!

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Route description: Beinn an Eoin, near Gairloch

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Eoin

Date walked: 04/10/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 957m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the last five years, each autumn we visited the mountains of Torridon at least once. There is something heavenly about the atmosphere of "torridonian fall"... Mountains look magnificent in autumn colours. Not every year we managed clear summit views but it was always a pleasure to walk amongst the giants :D
A little guide to Torridonian Fall here:
Sept 2010 - Beinn Damh
Nov 2011 - Fuar Tholl
Sept 2012 - Beinn Liath Mhor
Sept 2013 - Beinn Alligin
Sept 2014 - Beinn Dearg
Following the tradition, we picked another mountain to add to this list for 2015 - Beinn an Eoin. I know that the best way for this hill is a long traverse in combination with Baosbheinn, but as I'm still not 100% sure about Kevin's back (though he is mostly recovered), we decided to climb BaE by itself. We picked Sunday rather than Saturday, to be sure no stalking was taking place in Flowerdale Forest.
No regrets whatsoever, quite the opposite. It was magnificent ridgewalking with views to kill for! And Kevin is now besotted with Baosbheinn, keeps saying we must return to climb this one too, and preferably in nice conditions.
Our route up Beinn an Eoin follows WH description. We stated from the north, from Am Feur-Loch and followed a good path all the way to the bottom of the mountain, then picked our way up the steep ground to gain the northern end of the ridge... and the rest was just pure mountain p*o*r*n :lol: :lol: :lol:

Track_BEINN AN EOIN 04-10-15.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Black Arrow was parked next to an old, yellow shed, where we found ample parking space. Another couple of walkers started at the same time, but they were on bikes and they soon disappeared on the horizon :lol: Mind you, I'm not convinced I'd enjoy cycling on that path... Too rough for my standards, but I'm a rubbish cyclist so no surprise here :wink:
The morning was rather quiet and warm, some high cloud scattered in the sky but it looked like we were going to have a good day! We were attacked by midges of course and had to grab our good old friend DEET. Oh, so typically Scottish :lol:
Meall Lochan a' Chleirich, a wee Sub'2000, seems a nice half-day top to climb if only for views down to Loch Maree:
We enjoyed the stroll into the heart of Flowerdale Forest, soon views started to open up and we spotted Baosbheinn - what a magnificent ridge:
The paths are well marked, looks like the estate welcomes ramblers, and with such views even the walk to Loch na h-Oidche and back would be a delight! The main path descends slightly towards the narrow glen of Abhainn a'Gharbh Choire:
Slioch wearing a woolly hat :lol: :lol:
The path is more like a track towards the end, and the sun was just rising from behind "our" hill...
We crossed Abhainn Loch na h-Oidhche on stepping stones (not much water in the river) and soon left the comfortable track for more rough terrain...
This TR will be full of photos of Baosbheinn from many different angles...
The "north face" of BaE is almost vertical, but all difficulties can be avoided by traversing to the west, below the steep rocks. Further west, the ground is easier, with grass and scattered boulders, and we had no problem at all gaining height. There is even a sketchy sort-of -a-path to help with navigation.
Ehmmm.... I'm not going up that side :lol: :lol:
Baosbheinn from the lower slopes of Eoin:
Having avoided all scrambling, we ascended about 150m from the bottom of the hill onto a wee flatter section, where we experienced the torridonian heaven for the first time today...
Slioch now basking in sunshine:
Distant An Teallach:
I was already overwhelmed with views and the best was yet to come!
After a short break for a few ahhs and ohhs, we continued up this not-very-friendly-looking slope:
The steep section was quite wet and slippery but soon the angle eased off and with stupendous views around we couldn't believe our luck. What a day it was shaping up!
Slioch and the Fisherfields...
Panoramic version of mountains across Loch Maree:
Some high cloud still lingered over southern Torridon and when we emerged on the main ridge, the sun was gone if only for a short time. Time for some moody shots, Kevin said:
I couldn't take my eyes off Liathach, it's seen from a weird angle and the main ridge forms a kind of crescent shape with the pinnacles in the middle. The sun was behind it, which made for even more "spooky" climate:
We were on the first top (682m) and from here we couldn't see the whole length of the ridge, but having glimpsed at the map, Kevin said - this ridge is two miles long! Ha! It's going to be 2 miles of pure pleasure, I thought :lol: :lol:
Fionn Bheinn, easy to recognize, the only regular shape around...
As we continued along the ridge to the second top (715m), the sun came back to Baosbheinn. What a lovely mountain, Kevin said, we must, absolutely must come back to do it! I stated it reminded me of Beinn Alligin, like it's younger brother! Hopefully it will be just as delightful traverse when we get around to it!
The first top from the middle one, the world of water beyond:
The ground is more rocky further up but no scrambling required anywhere on the ridge. Plenty of boulders to climb for posing though :lol: :lol:
Me, boulder and Beinn Airigh Charr:
The "p*o*r*nographic" ridge:
The dark, spooky Torridon:
This is the final, steeper section. A well-worn path can be followed. It's easy as for torridonian standards!
From near the summit we at last had a good look at Beinn Eighe. There aren't very many vantage points for good, distant view of Corrie Mhic Fearchair, and Beinn an Eoin is one of them:
I couldn't resist the temptation to fiddle with one of my photos to give the corrie more vivid colours - just to make the Triple Buttress more visible:
Zoom to the Fannichs:
Slioch and A'Mhaighdean (which I nicknamed Armageddon, easier to pronounce :lol: )
View north...
Zoomed pinnacles of the Forge:
Someone up here's happy... Our first NEW hill since the first week of August and bang! The best weather we could possibly have this time of the year! Scottish autumn can be unpredictable, but this year blessed us with some incredible conditions.
The final, narrow section just before the summit:
The true summit is marked with a miniature cairn, only a few steps away from the summit shelter. Views - priceless.
Baosbheinn still looking to me like Alligin Junior!
Beinn Eighe, Meall a'Ghiubhais and Beinn a'Chearcaill, the latter one is on our list for a winter walk:
Slioch, oh Slioch... To me it looks more like a castle , it should be called An Caisteil or something like that... But who am I to rename mountains? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Once more - the wild Torridon:
...and a wild husband :lol: :lol:
A wild lamb, too? Nah, it's just Lucy posing on the top of her 14th Corbett!
Kevin spent far too much time playing with his camera, we ended up with over 300 photos :roll: :roll: and I really had a hard job to pick the best ones for this report!
We sat on a flat rock just by the summit shelter, had our sandwiches and enjoyed the views. We talked mostly about different methods of tackling Baosbheinn and I don't know where the time went, but who could blame us for enjoying the magic of this place?
Just as we were about to leave, I spotted a pair of walkers approaching the summit from the southern side and guess who it was?? I knew the Weasels were rambling about Torridon but didn't expect to run into them on the summit of Eoin!
We descended the ridge together, chatting mostly about hills, ticks and midges :lol: It was fantastic to have met you, Al and Alison, I hope we bump into each other again - Scotland is not as big as one might think :D :D :D
The Weasels were heading for Baosbheinn so we waved goodbye when we reached the road, me and Kevin heading back north. We also said bye to this wonderful area, but hopefully not for long. We will return here for sure.
Beinn an Eoin in sunshine:
On the way back we had better light for photographing the glen of Abhainn a'Gharbh Choire:
The walk took us 8 hours which was painfully slow but we simply lingered about too much, taking so many stops for photos and just gazing in the distance... What a day it was. there's no better place to be on a sunny Sunday than the peaks of Torridon.

Summing up - BaE is a CRACKER. Long-ish walk in but on a good track, no obstacles on the ridge, not too wet, some steep slopes, but it's an easy mountain as for Torridon. So worth the effort. Don't know where the hillwalking madness will take us next time, but it will be hard to get closer to heaven!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Beinn an Eoin - show me heaven!

Postby grumpy old bagger » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Beautiful, gorgeous pictures! :D
grumpy old bagger
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:9
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby basscadet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks for sharing - no bonnier place on a bonny day :clap: havent been to Torrdon for a while, but meet is coming up, so bound to get there soon.. 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Lovely part of the world and some great photos. I think Liathach looks fantastic from this side , a side less seen:)
ATB

Murray

P.S. I can confirm that the path in is very torturous in places or MTB! I remember a few expletives leaving my mouth when cycling back :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby jmarkb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:04 pm

Yay, glad you had a good day for it!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:58 pm

That looked half decent BP :wink:

Love the look of that ridge walk, stunning views.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby jmarkb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:36 pm

Maybe I'm weird, but both times I've been along that ridge I've had the odd sensation of not being on a mountain, but on a platform of rock floating in mid-air.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:36 pm

Great day for it :thumbup: Always interesting to meet others as well - odd the places in which they turn up 8) Have walked and cycled up here over the decades as far as poca buidhe but haven't yet got up to the hilltops - on the long to do list - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:02 am

Many thanks all :D :D :D Happy to share this amazing experience on Beinn an Eoin. An incredible mountain! It does indeed feel more like floating in the air, maybe because the summit area is small, with steep slopes on all sides.
I was fascinated with the Torridon pano, Liathach, Beinn Dearg, Alligin, Eighe, all seen from the less known side. We didn't get the best light conditions for purrrfect photos, but I think Kevin did a good job anyway (most pictures are from his camera).

As for the path & cycling - hats off to anybody brave enough to tackle it!

PS. We might show up on the meet if the main body of WH community can stand constant meowing! :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:42 am

Great stuff. Those hills are quite special, wild, and with the best views you could hope for. Sometimes a slightly slower pace is best anyway, to savour the conditions as much as possible. Nice to bump into familiar faces too, I'm sure.

We did Baosbheinn using bikes, but it took longer than we expected on a short March day, so ended up missing out Beinn an Eoin. This means I have something to look forward to! I was glad we didn't do it anyway, as I was pretty knackered anyway by the time we got back to the bikes, and didn't enjoy the very bouncy downhill as much as I usually do.

I do like "Armageddon" for A 'Mhaighdean. You guys are not the only ones with silly names for hills, with us there are a few;

Mel Giblets (Meall a Ghiuthais), Benny (Beinn Eighe), err B*st8rdBeinn (Baosbheinn, it wasn't), Benalligindo-doo-do-do-do (Alligin, like the Muppets song), Beinn Damp (Damh. It was), Mel Mumpy (Maol Lunndaidh), Cheesecake (as most do)...just to name a few...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 pm

Yep, definitely heaven on earth. What brilliant weather you had! A some wonderful pictures of heaven :clap: :clap: :clap:

Some time ago someone suggested in a top mountain poll that it was Beinn Eighe - because of the amazing views you get of Liathach. And one could say the same about Sgurr na Stri in relation to the Cuillin Ridge (I remember you did a fantastic report on your walk there a year or two ago). This seems also to be one of those hills. On the list!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:11 pm

excellent TR and pics as always BP
Hope you and Kevin do manage the Torridon meet ...the meowrrr the merrier
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:47 am

Great stuff as always BP...if you complete before Lucy do you have to accompany her on the one's you've already done to make sure she get's em all ticked :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland