walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Getting to Know the Five Sisters of Kintail

Getting to Know the Five Sisters of Kintail

Postby Stretch » Mon May 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Route description: Five Sisters of Kintail

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe

Date walked: 15/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1750m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last year I met David from the Northampton area on Carn a'Mhaim in the Cairngorms and after a good chat during lengthy walk back to Derry Lodge I suggested he contact me next time he was up for a two week stint in Scotland. This year he came up to Invergarry for most of his stay and on Saturday we took two cars down Glen Shiel in order to walk the Five Sisters ridge. We had passed through a heavy shower on the way up the glen, but by the time we parked and kitted up it was mostly sunny and fairly warm. We took a path up the steep slopes past the forest, aiming for the Bealach nan Spainteach. This path took us just below the Spanish peak and although it was steep we arrived on the summit of Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe in 2 1/2 hours. By that time the clouds were beginning to close in and for the rest of the day we experienced every flavour of weather Scotland could dish out. The ridge itself was much wider than I imagined it would be and the walking was very straightforward but enjoyable. There are no problems reaching the 2nd munro, Sgurr na Carnach. From the summit we could see the rest of the ridge unfolding beyond Sgurr Fhuaran, the third munro. Ascending it we were belted with small stinging hail pellets until we reached the top. We were then rewarded with a brief sunny glimpse of the ridge behind us and the rest of the ridge ahead. From this highest peak it was an easy stroll down to Sgurr nan Saighead with its impressive craggy northeast face. With the wind gusting pretty hard we skirted around just below the top and made our way over to Beinn Bhuidhe before descending into valley Fasach an t-Searraich. Initially the descent path was very boggy but once across the stream things clear up all the way down to Allt a'Chruinn. We were 15 minutes from the car when the first rain shower of the day soaked us. We collected the 2nd car and made our way back to the B&B in Invergarry before setting off for a well deserved meal in Fort Augustus.

I was very impressed with the whole range and I'm sure on a day with better conditions the entire ridge would be a blast, but it looks to be very tiresome. It was my first walk in the area though and now I can't wait to get back.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Glen Shiel.jpg

Across to The Saddle.jpg

Path to Bealach nan Spainteach.jpg

Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe from Bealach nan Spainteach.jpg

Ascending from Bealach nan Spainteach.jpg

Sgurr na Carnach and Sgurr Fhuaran from Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe.jpg

Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe.jpg

Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe from Sgurr na Carnach.jpg

Sgurr Fhuaran from Sgurr na Carnach.jpg

Looking back to Sgurr na Carnach and Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe from Sgurr Fhuaran.jpg

Loch Duich from Sgurr Fhuaran.jpg

Lower Ridge - Sgurr nan Saighead and Beinn Bhuidhe.jpg

Cloud pouring out of Beinn Bhuidhe.jpg

Descend to right of Sgurr an t-Searraich.jpg

Five Sisters of Kintail Rainbow HDR.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Getting to Know the Five Sisters of Kintail

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon May 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Wow, great pics Stretch. You been using that "HDR" technique again? Looks like you had a good day - I think I could see the 5 Sisters for a while from far away Creag Meagaidh on Sunday. A good one to do with a mate with a car :)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby monty » Tue May 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Yes nice report Stretch. There are superb views from the top of these mountains, I done Sgurr Fhuaran on its own last year :lol: I hope to go back in the summer and pick of the other two. The last picture with the rainbow looks superb. Touch of HDR methinks :D

Was that a case of four seasons in one day? :D
monty

Postby Stretch » Tue May 18, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Monty, yes the last pic is an HDR taken from a Raw file, turned out pretty good I think. As for the four seasons, it seems so. Brilliant sunshine to begin with, the wind and cloud, then hail and snow, then rain. But this was a fine walk!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue May 18, 2010 10:23 pm

The last one is 4 seasons in 1 photo :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ianaird » Tue May 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Nice one Stretch, Saturday was a stinker eh, was cursing hail and snow showers up the top of maoile lunndaidh in mid May :evil:
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland