walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back to the glens with a new furiend!

Back to the glens with a new furiend!

Postby KatTai » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Date walked: 14/10/2015

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a month and a half (can't believe it has been that long!) we've headed back out into the glens. We may have missed out on some of the lovely whether we've had in that time, but I guess that's the way it goes! Our walk location pick of the day was one of our favourites, Glen Doll. The reason for the absence is we were on holiday, and then we had a new addition to our family in the shape of this girl:

6.jpg

She's a border collie and was picked up as a stray in Aberdeen where she then ended up in rescue seeking a new home. Following the retirement of one of my other collies, we had already planned to look for a new dog after our holiday and so we e-mailed the rescue my other two had came from to see if they had any collies in suitable for us and they had a timid collie thought to be around 3-4 years old (though we thought younger and our vet agreed putting her at 2 - 2 1/2 years old) in who we went to meet...she responded well to Fly (who is a bit intolerant of other dogs!) and that was what we based our choice on as everything else about her was unknown! But she has proven to be a good gamble and has adjusted very well, loves her walks (which really is the most important thing) and though there are a few problems with toilet training etc there is nothing major. So three weeks ago today, Moss came home! And then Fly went and slipped a disc in her neck requiring urgent surgery so it has been a hectic few weeks...

This was probably Moss' first walk in the glens so to start with she was kept on the long line. While she has good recall out in the farm fields the forest was a different environment but I needn't have worried and after a short spell on the long line testing recall (and an attempt to tie up Millie my other collie), she was let off the lead. We followed the White Water route crossing the first bridge to start with before re-joining the man route up to Corrie Fee. All around we could hear the stags bellowing, some sounding so close but we couldn't actually see them! Despite it being half term, it was quiet up there and we only saw a handful of other people and soon reached Corrie Fee.

a.jpg

Only Millie had the confidence to pose on the posing-rock at Corrie Fee

12.jpg

But then she will do almost anything for a treat! While Moss jumped up a couple of times she didn't stay standing on the rock, so I had to make do with getting a few photos of her on the flatter rock nearby with just her front paws on the rock.

15.jpg

So my current mission (should I choose to accept it, which I think I will) is to get Moss to pose on the posing rock at Corrie Fee! Better start training!

After hanging around Corrie Fee for a while, we headed back down the glen and joined the Dounalt trail. I couldn't believe how quiet it was (excluding the roaring of the stags which never stopped!) and with a good view ahead I could really start to relax keeping an eye on Moss but she showed no inclination of going too far from me of Millie.

We reached the bridge and I stopped to see if I could see any deer, I could certainly hear them but couldn't see any.

22.jpg

So we continued on following the trail back into the forest filled with the lovely colours of autumn.

b.jpg

The sun was starting to shine though at this point too, not that it does much good when we're in the midst of the forest and not really able to enjoy it! Towards the end of the trail where it opens out, I did eventually spot a coupled of deer high up on the hill. Not a great photo, but the deer are there!

c.jpg

From there it was an easy following of the forestry track back to the car and the end of a first successful adventure day with Moss. Our winter will be spent getting some weight and muscle on her (which she is severely lacking in), toughening her pads (soft as a baby's bottom at the moment!) and training ready for the spring when hopefully we can return to the higher hills! But today I'm just happy that she comes back when called, even if she did have a mess around when it came to getting in the car!

23.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Re: Back to the glens with a new furiend!

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Nice report and photos, I bet you are glad to get back to the hills and glens after your time away? That's great you've now got Moss to join in your adventures, she is lovely and good on you for taking another rescue dog! :clap:

A mate of mine has a rescue Collie called Buddy and he's a cracker too, full of energy and so smart. Collie's are brilliant and a few years back I got to enjoy some Geese herding, being taught by Katy Cropper which was amazing! She said I was a natural and I put it down to coming from generations of farmers on Arran, my old man would have been proud, especially as i'm not a farmer at all and had no experience! :D

Both Fly and Moss are very photogenic, I'm looking forward to seeing more of them in your forthcoming walk reports and don't forget to get their pics posted on the Mutts on Munros topic once they are back bagging again.

Cheers! Away... come by...! :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby KatTai » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Well I needed a new walking companion and Millie can help train her up in hill walking before she too retires (which will hopefully be a long way off, despite being 11 she is very fit!). I was starting to get cabin fever having to stay local, especially on those glorious sunny days and seeing all the reports of people getting fantastic weather on the hills. Munro bagging will come, though of course we will have to go re-do the 12 we have already done so Moss can catch up...
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Moss is a beauty and sounds like she'd landed on her feet being rescued by someone who'll take her out on hill adventures which she'll love! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby KatTai » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:18 pm

dogplodder wrote:Moss is a beauty and sounds like she'd landed on her feet being rescued by someone who'll take her out on hill adventures which she'll love! 8)

I just have to be patient while building her up to the point where she is capable to tackle hills and more challenging walks, that is probably the hardest part! But this is also why we decided on autumn for getting a new dog, I usually stick to the glens and don't tend to travel as far in the winter so not really going to be missing out on doing big hills or longer walks too much. In the meantime, I can start trying to decide which of the Munro's we've already done we'll choose to be Moss' first :D
KatTai
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland