walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cuillin Ridge Traverse

Cuillin Ridge Traverse

Postby johnrich » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr na Banachdich, Sgùrr nan Eag, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 07/09/2015

Time taken: 22 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 4000m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cuillin Ridge.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We met up on the Saturday morning in glorious weather and headed up to Coire na Banachdich to hide the bivvy gear away for a start of the traverse on Sunday.
IMG_2263_2.jpg
IMG_2257_2.jpg
Untitled_Panorama1_1.jpg

We stayed in the motor home near the Sligachan for Saturday night and somehow managed to avoid getting carried away in the pub, we'd waited too long for this attempt to blow it by over indulgence :clap:
Sunday morning wasn't too bad with low cloud covering the hills, we set off from Glen Brittle at about 6:30am.
IMG_2266.jpg

We made hard work of getting up to Ghas bheinn which meant it was already 10:30am before reaching the start of the traverse.
IMG_2269_1.jpg

Time for a quick bite to eat
IMG_2270.jpg

The midges had the same idea :(
IMG_2272.jpg

On Ghas bheinn
IMG_2277_1.jpg

IMG_2283_1.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

Abbing in to the TD gap but it had become quite damp so we dropped down to the scree slopes and bypassed the climb directly out of the gap. Plus the fact that we'd accidentally forgot to pack any nuts or wires :clap: :crazy: A tad annoying especially after spending time the night before selecting a compact rack to take up!! Doohhhh :lol:
IMG_2338_1.jpg

The skies cleared by the time we reached the Innpin but decided to tackle that first thing in the morning and head off to get some well needed food and sleep
IMG_2353_1.jpg

Bivvy in Coire na Banachdich
IMG_2390_1.jpg

IMG_2397_1.jpg

Not the worst morning I've ever woken up to :clap: :D
IMG_2428_1.jpg

First thing on the agenda was the Innpin. The rock was dry and perfect conditions
IMG_2434_1.jpg

I couldn't quite pluck up the bottle to stand upright on top :( :crazy:
IMG_2436_1.jpg

But Luke shows how it's done :clap:
IMG_2443_1.jpg

Abbing off the Innpin
IMG_2449_1.jpg

IMG_2467_1.jpg

The conditions and views just couldn't have been better
IMG_2504_1.jpg

Finally made it to Sgurr nan Gillean at 18:30
IMG_2502_1.jpg

Extremely chuffed to have completed the traverse :D
IMG_2507_1.jpg

IMG_2508_1.jpg

Perfect time to head off the South east ridge and practically ran back to the Sligachan for several celebratory beers.
Note to self: Wear gloves next time!!!
It took 2 weeks before I was able to sign into my computer with fingerprint recognition :lol: :clap:
johnrich
Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:29
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:69   

Re: Cuillin Ridge Traverse

Postby dav2930 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Congratulations on a big achievement. Deposting bivi kit at the Banachdich Bealach sounds like a good tactic, giving two relatively manageable days. It looked like you were carrying all your kit from Bealach Coire na Banachdich onwards though? The logistics of doing the ridge are a nightmare and I still can't decide which is the best way to do it.

I'm curious to know how you tackled Am Basteir - did you take in the Tooth or double back from Bealach a' Bhasteir? Anyway, terrific stuff and some cracking photos - the last one (looking down Gillean S.E. ridge to Sgurr na h-Uamha) is especially striking. :clap: :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby malky_c » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:01 pm

Amazing conditions, particularly at the beginning and end :D . Spent two years on the trot camping in Sligachan and recce-ing the bits we didn't know, but never got the weather at the right time. I think you just have to seize the moment and go for it. Top stuff 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Silverhill » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:09 pm

A fantastic achievement! :clap: I'm very envious!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby mgmt! » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:27 pm

Top Trumps, fantastic photos, nowt better in the uk :clap: :clap: :clap:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:19 am

Fantastic - well done and what amazing photos and weather to wake to :)

AT

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby gman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:59 am

Great stuff, bet those beers at the Sligachan tasted good :clap:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby johnrich » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:19 am

dav2930 wrote:Congratulations on a big achievement. Deposting bivi kit at the Banachdich Bealach sounds like a good tactic, giving two relatively manageable days. It looked like you were carrying all your kit from Bealach Coire na Banachdich onwards though? The logistics of doing the ridge are a nightmare and I still can't decide which is the best way to do it.

I'm curious to know how you tackled Am Basteir - did you take in the Tooth or double back from Bealach a' Bhasteir? Anyway, terrific stuff and some cracking photos - the last one (looking down Gillean S.E. ridge to Sgurr na h-Uamha) is especially striking. :clap: :clap:

We did carry all our kit from Banachdich but it wasn't too bad, plus the morning after I'm so glad we did :D
I originally planned to drop down south of Am Basteir at bealach nan Lice and tackle it from there but at the last minute changed our minds and did the double back from Bealach a' Bhasteir
johnrich
Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:29
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:69   

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:35 am

Superb. How lucky to get those conditions on the second day!

I attempted this once, but got so cold and wet in the bivi on Garsbheinn (we went toolight, relying on clothing and an old plastic survival bag), it was drizzling for the first 3 hours, and we binned it at Coire a Ghrundda. Of course, 4 hours later it was blue skies...

If I ever go and try again (but too scared now!), I'd split it like you did rather than bivi at the start.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland