walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ban and the Grey Corries

Stob Ban and the Grey Corries

Postby Stretch » Tue May 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 16/05/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1500m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a fine day in Glen Shiel on Saturday, Sunday David and I set our sights on the Grey Corries and Stob Ban. We parked up the track from the Coire Choille Farm and set off around 9:30, heading south along the good track which takes you up to the bothy below Stob Ban. Along this bit I was freaked out by a statue of a very angry looking Puritan and had it been a bit darker and had I been alone I probably would have turned tail and ran :lol: It's easy going all the way to the bothy and after a quick peak inside we crossed the stream and took the path off to the right that heads up Stob Ban. It's a bit boggy at first but then things improve and the going up Stob Ban was pretty easy. From here the 360 degree views were impressive, especially over to the lump of Sgurr Innse and across to the Mamores. Moving on we descended the scree and rocks down the northwest side of Stob Ban to reach the bealach below Stob Choire Claurigh. After the previous day's walk this was a bit tiresome and we took plenty of short breaks until we reached the summit. I was immediately impressed by the sheer scale of the Grey Corries ridge from start to finish. With the weather much better than Saturday I knew this was going to be an amazing ridge walk. There are really no difficulties at any point between the first munro and the top Stob Coire Easain near the end of the ridge. There were still some cornices to be cautious of, but there was plenty of room to move about. We had decided to see how we felt after reaching the second munro, Stob Coire an Laoigh, before deciding whether to include Sgurr Choinnich Mhor, the last munro along the ridge. We reached the top of Stob Coire Easain around 4pm and not wanting to come all the way back for the last peak I decided to give it a go while David headed back to the car. Here is where I messed up. The descent off the top was initially ok, but about halfway down things got more complicated. I reached a gully that looked to be the only way down, and it was steep and loose. At this point I tweaked my knee and as I sat in pain looking over to Sgurr Choinnich Mhor I decided that I had had enough and I climbed back up to the top to collect my pack and head off the ridge. Leaving the munro for another day was probably a good idea as my knee gave me fits all the way back to the car and to be honest I didn't fancy re-ascending that gully. The walk out is fine for about half of the way, but once the dam is reached you have to cross the stream and then follow the wet and muddy old railway path back to the parking area. I was relieved to see the car and more relieved to find the small grocery store in Spean Bridge still open. Rasberry Lucozade, yum.

Just want to thank David for a heck of a weekend along two spectacular ridges, looking forward to your next trip north. You really meet some nice folks on the hills.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Aonach Mor from parking area.jpg

The Freaky Statue.jpg

Stob Ban behind the bothy.jpg

Approaching Stob Ban.jpg

Sgurr Innse.jpg

Summit of Stob Ban with Grey Corries behind.jpg

The Mamores from Stob Ban.jpg

Ascending from Stob Ban.jpg

The Grey Corries ridge from Stob Choire Claurigh.jpg

Stob Coire na Ceannain from Stob Choire Claurigh.jpg

Ridge to Stob a' Choire Leith.jpg

Ridge to Stob Choire Claurigh.jpg

Ridge walk beyond Stob Choire Claurigh.jpg

Stob Choire Claurigh from Caisteal.jpg

Stob Choire Claurigh from Stob Coire Cath na Sine.jpg

Stob Coire an Laoigh from Stob Coire Cath na Sine.jpg

Stob Coire Cath na Sine and Stob Choire Claurigh.jpg

The Grey Corries from Stob Coire Easain.jpg

To go or not to go - Sgurr Choinnich Mhor.jpg

Sgurr Choinnich Mhor from Stob Coire Easain.jpg

Sgurr Choinnich Mhor.jpg

Sgurr Innse HDR.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Stob Ban and the Grey Corries

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed May 19, 2010 12:12 am

Couldn't resist the HDR in the end I see :lol: . Would have thought the Puritan would be a familiar sight coming from Tennessee :wink: ?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby monty » Wed May 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi Stretch,
Nice report again. That looks like a tough walk so not surprised you were longing for your raspberry lucozade :lol: Nice self portrait on picture two :lol: :lol: Shame you didnt complete Choinnich Mor but common sense has to prevail. Well done :D
monty

Postby magicdin » Wed May 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Stretch wrote:Along this bit I was freaked out by a statue of a very angry looking Puritan
The%20Freaky%20Statue.jpg

Ah - I was wondering what Gordon Brown was doing now :evil:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Stretch » Wed May 19, 2010 3:14 pm

I kid you not, it took me a few minutes to work out that this was a statue from a distance, it was very strange and spooky. Of course, there is a slight resemblance to Gordon Brown lol.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Wanderlust » Wed May 19, 2010 7:37 pm

Great report and some nice pics aswell. I'm off to do this ridge next week :D
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland