walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Grey Corries, Stob Ban - & Superman!?

The Grey Corries, Stob Ban - & Superman!?

Postby JimboJim » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:57 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 01/10/2015

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 26.8 km

Ascent: 1750m

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time for Jimbo and Jasper to get in another hike, after going our own ways once or twice. Usual predicament over where to go, where's weather best, etc, etc, but finally opted for something a bit nearer home, as I had something on at night. Downside was a 4.45 a.m., start :shock: Not my finest hour!
Anyway, trip north to Spean Bridge went smoothly, other than just being sure we turned right, to rough track at Coire Choille Farm. We parked at a wooden sign, pointing right, towards forest, marked "Spean Bridge" though it would have been possible to go on another half mile or so, but this wouldn't be an advantage if you return by suggested WH route.
DSCN6819_1024_768.JPG
Seeking divine assistance!

After a few words with the minister, it is quite a long way in to the bothy, but there’s enough to see and talk about on the way. There had been someone in the bothy overnight, but had left some of their gear there. As it was, we bumped into him later in the day. By now we could see the ridge up to Stob Ban. Good enough track up, if a bit squelchy here and there. Wasn't long till Big Jasper was striding out ahead, which kept me sweating at full flow, trying to keep up. Took about 2.5 hrs to this point.
DSCN6837_1024_761.JPG
Big Jasper, wonders why he took me along?
DSCN6833_1024_714.JPG
Minute speck, of someone on Stob Ban, early morn, 0942!
DSCN6839_1024_768.JPG
Top Stob Ban.

Quick refreshment, photo or, two then we were on our way down the steep, scree slope down the north side of Stob Ban. Some nimble footwork required. Not the time, or place to be gazing around, or trying to take photo’s!
DSCN6854_1024_768.JPG
The 'Scree Slope!'
Skipped round a wee lochain, then overtook a fellow from Dundee, who joined us on the summit of Stob Coire Claurigh, which stands at 1177m. From here the views opened up along the ridge, indeed in all directions. Just wonderful! Could that be Sgurr Choinnich Mor, away there in the distance? Surely naw! :o
DSCN6857_1024_768.JPG
Big Jasper refuelling on Stob Coire Claurigh, 1177m. Fourteenth highest Munro!
DSCN6866_1024_768.JPG
Stob Coire Claurigh, looking to the northwest direction..
DSCN6859_1024_768.JPG
Binnein Mor, Beag, Bidean, Mamores, etc ........
DSCN6878_1024_690.JPG
Stob Coire Claurigh, looking west to too many hills to mention :)
DSCN6883_1024_768.JPG

From here we pretty much followed the WH’s route, stopping for photo’s, food and the occassional bit of navigation, but the track is fairly clear most of the way, just a bit tricky keeping tabs on which top you are on and which is next. Before long :lol: we were at the third Munro, Stob Coire na Laoigh, which has impressive steep crags off to the right. Time to help the bothy man with a top up of water – maybe should have kept a little more for ourselves!
DSCN6909_1024_752.JPG
Time for a pose!
DSCN6911_1024_767.JPG
My turn.
DSCN6905_1024_768.JPG
Think this was on Casteil, checking we had Stob Coire na Laoigh ahead. The pointy Sgurr Choinnich Mhor between the summit and Big jesper's map.
DSCN6906_1024_768.JPG
Looking back along the ridge.
DSCN6922_1024_768.JPG
Stob Coire na Laoigh

From Stob Coire an Laoigh there is a bit of a drop, before rising to Stob Coire Easain, where we had to give some serious thought (ok, I don’t think it was too serious,) as to whether to go for the pointy, Sgurr Choinnich Mhor. My thoughts lay not so much as getting there, as to the fact, it looked like we would have to re-ascend Stob Coire Easain, before heading on the way down, as there was no doubt, my energy levels were beginning to suffer. In addition we had spent a lot of time gabbing and taking photo’s along the way. Maybe I didn’t really want to make it home in time for my meeting!
DSCN6876_1024_740.JPG
South to Starav and Cruachan.
DSCN6934_1024_768.JPG
Big Jasper, with Ring of Steall for a backdrop.
DSCN6939_1024_665.JPG
Looking back up to Stob Coire Easain and Stob Coire na Laoigh, right.

Anyway, I think the round trip over to Sgurr Choinnich Mhor and back, took us about an hour and a half. Spent some more time chewing the cud, with an older chap, whose speed and stamina put me to shame. Superman? Why do these people appear and seem to make one’s efforts seem so inferior? Message to self, must get fitter!
DSCN6944_1024_768.JPG
Jasper chews the cud with 'Superman?' A fit wee blighter, that's for sure.
DSCN6949_1024_768.JPG
Over to the Buachaille Etive Mor.
DSCN6951_1024_741.JPG
The imperious Scheihallion.
DSCN6952_1024_731.JPG
Stob Ban, looking a tad tiny.
DSCN6979_1024_698.JPG
View back along the ridge and some eejit in the way :)

From Stob Coire Easain, we headed north down Beinn na Socaich, making up some time, though by now Big Jesper’s knee was playing up – war wounds apparently. Bit boggy on the lower reaches, as one gets near the edge of the forest. Jasper had been eyeing up return via the old railway, but I didn’t much fancy a further long haul over rough, boggy ground, so did my best to keep him to the WH’s advice. Just had to be a bit careful to follow route intructions carefully, as a few junctions need negotiation. Even then, it is still a fair haul, before we emerged, with our motor right before our eyes. Spot on. Eight and a half memorable hours. Perhaps, the best yet!
DSCN6899_1024_688.JPG
Orchy hills, BM & SB.
DSCN6993_1024_739.JPG
View of the 'back' of the Grey Corries. Don't ask me why they came up with that name!

We were a bit stiff and slow to change, but who should emerge from the woods, on his bike, but Superman. I had always thought he was just a make believe, comic character! Soon back to Fort William, which was shrouded in fog, but managed wee stop-off in Orchy for a shandy and still made my meeting at night! Good going, the old codgers!
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: The Grey Corries, Stob Ban - & Superman!?

Postby PerthAlly » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Super photos Jim

I did exactly the same route in August. I thought 9 hours was good going but you pair beat me hands down.

Cracking day was Oct 1st. I was golfing in shorts that day . Might be a few Octobers before that happens again :lol:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby J888ohn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Good to see the views I missed when I did it in September this year in mist and wind. Guess I'll just need to head back to them in good weather now!
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby mini1mini2 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Couldn't have chose a better day :clap: and maybe a better walk too :clap: I hope for a similar day :) Cheers
mini1mini2
Mountaineer

Munros:132   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:57 pm

Hahaha a brilliantly written report that had me chuckling all the way through! Amazing photos as well. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The main thing to remember is that the tortoise gets to enjoy more of the view at his leisurely pace compared to the hare and superman bagging summits at top speed!! :lol: Those look like some brilliant hills and ridges to walk, looking forward to doing them myself at some point thanks to your report. Cheers! :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:55 pm

I don't suppose you found a camera on Ston Coire Claurigh, did you?

I mislaid mine, full of the days pics, when I was up there last month....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Big Jesper » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Jimmy, another great day, great report, fab pics and yeah probably the best one yet.
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:46 am

Wow, what views! Looks like a great day out. Must do these soon, have only done Stob Ban, in deep snow.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby JimboJim » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I don't suppose you found a camera on Ston Coire Claurigh, did you?

I mislaid mine, full of the days pics, when I was up there last month....

Sorry, Alteknacker, can't help. Have done the same myself, though. Luckily i got mine back.

Thanks all for rest of comments. Was a great day round these hills and fingers crossed for many more :D

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Wanderlust7 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:20 pm

Good effort gentlemen and a good report Jim with great pictures in there.

Steve
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland