walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 Munro's, 16 Miles and nobody else

4 Munro's, 16 Miles and nobody else

Postby Backpacker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg - the Four Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 17/10/2015

Time taken: 10.25 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1591m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bit of a debate during the week whether to head up to Ullapool for these 4 or head into the Mamores and pick of another couple. After checking the forecasts all week, Ullapool won :lol:

I set off straight after to work with the intention of kipping in the car (joys of having a large boot) and setting off at 1st light. Double checking the map I figured I could get away with leaving earlier as the walk through the forest would probably be dark anyway and it would save me from having to rush around later.

I was up and away for about 7 just as another car pulled into the carpark, these were to be the last people I saw all day. I put my headtorch on and strolled into the forest, the going is pretty straightforward, however I missed the rather big "Beinn Dearg" sign at one point and ended up the wrong side of the river, it was only when the terrain in front me didn't match what was in my head that the map came out for a quick double check.

"Yup" wrong side, thankfully there's a track heading down to a dam, so headed down for a check and sure enough it was easy enough to get across and back on track, although I was at the gate which leads out into the Glen I just made doubly sure before packing it away.

The Glen is just a joy to walk through (and probably the easiest 0-800M I've ever done :lol: :lol: :lol: ) plenty of water features to keep me entertained as well as the stags roaring, as anyone that's been up there knows, it's quite a narrow Glen but the stags were keeping themselves well hidden despite it sounding like they were right next to me.

ImageDSC_0004 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0008 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0014 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0028 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Once at the bealach I decided to dump my bag at the drystane dyke before heading off to do Beinn Dearg & Cona Mheall. Almost straight away I was starting to wonder if I should have done the route in reverse, as there still a good layer of frost making grip on the rock almost non existent, nevertheless I made my way up avoiding the worst and before to long I was at the corner, where I nipped through and 5 mins later was stood on the summit. The views from up here were absolutely spectacular.

ImageDSC_0030 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0034 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0036 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Once I'd finished admiring the view it was time to head back down, rather gingerly, I was almost hugging the wall at times and it probly took me long to get down as it look to get up :lol: I arrived back at my bag, had a bite to eat and a drink before setting off for number 2.

The walk over is pretty straightforward, maybe a tad damp, for the ascent I had noted that the WH route aims straight for the summit but I saw a path of sorts which aims south of the summit and looked easier (less boulders) so I took that option, once on the plateau turn left and shortly the summit comes into view. Once again the views were awesome, few more photo's were taken before the walk back to my bag.

ImageDSC_0043 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0046 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

After another quick bite to eat It was time to head for number 3, this wasn't at all bad and looking at my watch I thought I could be back at the car for the 2nd halves kicking off :lol: :lol: I missed whatever path there should have been and just meandered my own way up and very quickly after leaving the bealch I was atop Meall nan Ceapraichean. From this lofty position I could see the 4th and final Munro of the day and wondering how the hell do I get over there as it seemed to be quite a drop. Oh well, onwards and upwards, followed the boulder field over to Ceann Garbh where I had to stop a survey what was in front of me, I didn't fancy the boulder fields so had a look further east where there seemed to be an easier drop down, so that's the way I went, unfortunately it was rather moist underfoot, eventually I joined up with the main path and all was well again :D

ImageDSC_0052 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0053 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

By the time I reached the foot of Eididh nan Clach Geala I had binned the idea of being back in time for the 2nd halves and opted for the full time scores :lol: :lol: the ascent was easy enough though my legs by now were starting to feel it a wee bit once at the summit, all was well again, took a photo of the cairn then headed over to the 2nd one where I stopped and sat down for a good 20-30 mins to soak in the views.

ImageDSC_0056 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0057 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0061 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0062 by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Now it was time for the descent which was easy enough I opted to head a bit further south to avoid the boulders and rejoin the main path further down once at the lochain headed south towards the stalkers path, however I did note a path continuing on passed the lochain, anyone any idea where this heads? it was a bit of a steep drop down but once on the stalkers path it was a straightforward stroll out and right enough I arrived back at the car in time for the full time scores being read out.

On the drive back I did contemplate turning right at inverness and head towards Fort William but the thought of a hot shower and my own bed binned that idea. :lol: :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: 4 Munro's, 16 Miles and nobody else

Postby angusb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Enjoyed reading this, and seeing your terrific photos, as I did these 4 on Friday, so similar conditions as you got. Great outlook all round, with An Teallach just begging to be climbed! This past month has really made up for the grotty summer we've had!
angusb

Munros:273   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby Backpacker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:38 pm

The last 4-6 weeks we've had have definitely made for some cracking hillwalking weather, hre's hoping it continues for a few more weeks yet (This being Scotland we're bound to pay for it :lol: )
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Enjoyed that Gary, great photo's as usual :clap: :clap:
Thought about leaving my rucksack too but opted to hump it every summit, like you I didn't find the path up the 3rd until near the top :lol:
Regarding your final descent, I started off on the other path you mentioned (as it was heading downhill) until I checked to make sure I was going the right way, so had to traverse across the grassy slopes.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Nice route this one :clap: :clap: :clap:
Still freshly in my legs... :lol:
You had great weather condition :clap: 8) I missed some views from the 1st two summits...#
Great photos :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Backpacker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Nice route this one :clap: :clap: :clap:
Still freshly in my legs... :lol:
You had great weather condition :clap: 8) I missed some views from the 1st two summits...#
Great photos :clap:

cheers, I had noticed that our last 2 trips were Beinn alligin & these 4 (plus your extra 1) :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Enjoyed that - brilliant day to do these 4.

Brings back memories from a year ago when I took too direct a route off no 3 and things got just a bit more exciting than I would have wanted for a few minutes.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:01 am

Nice one Gary. Excellent photos. Looked a cracker of a day :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland