walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Dubh Mor, journeys end at 281

Sgurr Dubh Mor, journeys end at 281

by spiderwebb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Dubh Mòr

Date walked: 05/09/2015

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Sgurr Dubh Mor, journeys end at 281

Postby DonnyW » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Hey..I just remembered to look to see how you got on Spiderwebb..and its great news you have done Ben More and Sgur Dubh Mor.

Because we recently did some walking together in Knoydart .. I was with you again as I read your report.

Congratulations on doing 281 ..I hope to see you with 282 very soon...then you can move onto the next stage in your life long journey

If you want a rest from the hills .. may I suggest loch bagging .. by boat..? :lol:

Great report ..lovely photos .. and very moving :clap:
DonnyW

Postby dooterbang » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Great read Spiderman, I think you portrayed your feellings well. The best journey in life by far, it never ends :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Bean » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:06 pm

Enjoyed your report Spiderweb, nice pics, it looks like a tough walk! You write really well something that is hard to put into words, but resonates with us all.
Liked your description of Holly made me think of our dog Jess. She was lovely and whenever I am at home there is a place where I love to go and sit as she is always there looking out across the fields with me, sniffing the air :)

Thanks for posting, plenty more adventures ahead i'm sure, especially with winter round the corner :)
Bean
Wanderer

Munros:69   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:10   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:58 pm

Borderhugh wrote:Well done Dave! Enjoyed reading your report with the sentimentality. You older guys keep me in check :clap: ! Congratulations, on almost compleating! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sentimental and old :lol: Bit less of the old :wink:

scottishkennyg wrote:Well done Dave..another door opening.. :clap:

Thank you, need to find the keys to these doors :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:A great read, and obviously an emotional moment, as it should be. So many memories. Congratulations.

Thank you Mal, many memories for sure :D

mountain thyme wrote:Well put Dave. You look really happy in that last picture :(
Maybe a new 'at for your compleation when it comes will cheer you up

Thanks T, last pic took a couple of takes, least you got my face in this one (memories of a bath pic :lol: ) New At, good acronym hmm

dav2930 wrote:A beautifully elegiac reflection on life and loss and coming to the end of things. Thought provoking and heart-rending, it reminds us all how much we take for granted. There is something admirable about your reluctance to tick off that one remaining Munro. Good luck for the future SW.

Thank you dav2930, much appreciated. As one mountaineer said ' that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime', so very true.

Sick Kid wrote:A wee tear (or 2) in my eye there Spider.....great report and sums up well how a lot of us feel on the hill.

And you've a belter of a hill to compleat on, that's what we finished on....just hope you get better weather than us :D

Thank you Sick Kid, me too, emotional things these hills :?

Alteknacker wrote:A fine piece of prose there, SW - more of a soliloquy than a report really; and none the worse for that. And some great pictures.

But: be wistful, but not melancholic! You've visited so many fine places - I remember really vividly your Fisherfields report - that I can't believe there aren't many many of them you'd want to visit again. After all, the Munros thing is only one of the many excuses we manufacture as reasons for getting into these wonderful spots.

For me, the Nr 1 is the Cuillins, and your pics brought it all back to life - the first time I went there, I camped next to the lochan in Choire a' Ghrundda, the next time I bivvied on Sgurr nan Eag. I'm quite sure I'll go back many times, and I can't imagine a time when it will pall. Some of these mountains are so immense and intense that it seems (at least to me) to take multiple exposures before one really feels one "knows" them.

Keep walkin' and reportin' !!!

Thanks Alteknacker, greatly appreciated and yes Fisherfields as with all, you could spend a week on any one and probably not know it that well :D

DonnyW wrote:Hey..I just remembered to look to see how you got on Spiderwebb..and its great news you have done Ben More and Sgur Dubh Mor.

Because we recently did some walking together in Knoydart .. I was with you again as I read your report.

Congratulations on doing 281 ..I hope to see you with 282 very soon...then you can move onto the next stage in your life long journey

If you want a rest from the hills .. may I suggest loch bagging .. by boat..? :lol:

Great report ..lovely photos .. and very moving :clap:

Thank you Donny, Loch bagging :lol: You started something as I was looking up boats after our trip, not to mention passing one for sale each day whilst working on Skye :lol:

dooterbang wrote:Great read Spiderman, I think you portrayed your feellings well. The best journey in life by far, it never ends :wink:

Cheers Dooters, many thanks :D

Bean wrote:Enjoyed your report Spiderweb, nice pics, it looks like a tough walk! You write really well something that is hard to put into words, but resonates with us all.
Liked your description of Holly made me think of our dog Jess. She was lovely and whenever I am at home there is a place where I love to go and sit as she is always there looking out across the fields with me, sniffing the air :)

Thanks for posting, plenty more adventures ahead i'm sure, especially with winter round the corner :)

Thank you Bean, not such a tough walk, although the knees knew they had been out but that's Skye, like walking up and down stairs all day, just the terrain. But yes, the dogs are always with us, in some way :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby londonwalker » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Another fantastic report Dave and poignant too, wonderful pictures and trust in time you will have a wander up Fiona
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby jonny616 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:30 am

A great read Dave and great photos. Life feels so different in the hills and I often feel that I don't want to leave as reality bites of work grind. I guess that's why beer, wine and whisky were invented. 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:42 pm

What a lovely report congratulations on nearly completing ...I am sure at some point you will head to the final one and look back and realize it was worth the wait for that special one.

Really enjoyed reading your report and Loch Coire a Grunnda is looking magic...you are putting ideas in my head for next year :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby J888ohn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:49 pm

Congratulations on your completion. I can only imagine the emotions you went through on this walk. Great day and place to round off the adventure though :D :clap:
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:53 pm

londonwalker wrote:Another fantastic report Dave and poignant too, wonderful pictures and trust in time you will have a wander up Fiona

Thank you Londwalker, yep a wander one day maybe :?

jonny616 wrote:A great read Dave and great photos. Life feels so different in the hills and I often feel that I don't want to leave as reality bites of work grind. I guess that's why beer, wine and whisky were invented. 8)

It certainly does Jonny, reality hmm, no ones epitaph ever said ' I wished I'd spent more tine in the office' :lol:

Mountainlove wrote:What a lovely report congratulations on nearly completing ...I am sure at some point you will head to the final one and look back and realize it was worth the wait for that special one.

Really enjoyed reading your report and Loch Coire a Grunnda is looking magic...you are putting ideas in my head for next year :D

Thank you ML, I dare not ask what ideas you may have :wink:

J888ohn wrote:Congratulations on your completion. I can only imagine the emotions you went through on this walk. Great day and place to round off the adventure though :D :clap:

Not quite j888ohn, but yes emotions intense and varied :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:52 am

I have just read your report Dave, wonderful stuff and spoken fro the heart. What a journey and what a day for your 281 absolutely stunning, you could have not wished for better, I can imagine some of your feelings and emotions that crossed your mind when you were lying at the lochan in Coire Ghrunnda, such a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and superb photographs, wonderful :clap: :clap: :D :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:37 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:I have just read your report Dave, wonderful stuff and spoken fro the heart. What a journey and what a day for your 281 absolutely stunning, you could have not wished for better, I can imagine some of your feelings and emotions that crossed your mind when you were lying at the lochan in Coire Ghrunnda, such a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and superb photographs, wonderful :clap: :clap: :D :D

Many thanks Rodmiester, it certainly turned out better than forecast weather wise. Thoughts a plenty, although looking back at the photo on Lochan Grunndha my thoughts turned to ice cream :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby shaun4444d » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Fantastic Dave had a lump in my throat reading your report, you have left yourself a corker to finish on and when you do I hope its a beautiful day, hit the summit and chill for a while, reflect on your fantastic achievement. Hope to read your report when you nail it.
shaun4444d

Munros:38   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:177
Wainwrights:214   Islands:23

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:46 pm

shaun4444d wrote:Fantastic Dave had a lump in my throat reading your report, you have left yourself a corker to finish on and when you do I hope its a beautiful day, hit the summit and chill for a while, reflect on your fantastic achievement. Hope to read your report when you nail it.

Many thanks shaun444d it will definitely be a beautiful day that's for sure :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Susan J » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Well done on 281. :) I loved reading that. Such a wonderful journey for you, even if tinged with sadness.
Susan J
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:103
Wainwrights:122   

Postby andyfitz » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:57 pm

I'm not on here often so I missed this until now. A terrific read and, as others have said, a lump in the throat read. I've has the pleasure of meeting you on a couple of occassions - dug searching as opposed to bagging duties. Back then we had a similar Munro tally - before I got distracted by the cycling. Maybe that's the future! I can recommend it, having recently done the compass point Munros, linking them by cycling in between. Anyway whatever is next, good luck. The image of you coming out of that crevice on Ben Donich with previously lost dug is one I will remember for a very long time.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

43 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland