walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Mayer & Ben Driesch #1&2

Ben Mayer & Ben Driesch #1&2

Postby Grstrachan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:43 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 27/09/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The opening Munros of my bagging career chosen due to locality and ease of climbing.

An early start from the Glen Clova car park got me away before the crowds. Setting off at 08:00 in nice dry clear weather.

The initial part of the walk through forestry tracks is pleasant and easy but the main highlight comes as you leave the forest and enter Corrie Fee with the most amazing view right down the Corrie. I could feel the warm air caused by sun heating the cliffs around the area with the down draft blowing as a warm breeze.

An easy if somewhat tiring climb up the end of the Corrie leads to the ascent up to Mayar where a cairn marks the summit

[img][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/653/22151094779_f9f4df373d_z.jpg[/img]Ben Mayar Munro #1 by Graham Strachan, on Flickr[/img]

Leaving Mayar I saw the first sign of life with a solitary walker ascending from Driesch. Stopped to speak and found this hardy soul had been on the road from 03:30 bagging his 220th Munro! Now that's impressive.

The walk along to Driesch gave good views South to Angus and a nice hike up to the summit for Munro #2. A stop here at the shelter for a cup of coffee and a bite to eat.

[img][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/729/22348621141_7206708a5f_z.jpg[/img]Ben Driesch Munro #2 by Graham Strachan, on Flickr[/img]

The descent back down was pleasant and I met another few folk heading up the reverse route to the one I had taken.

A thoroughly enjoyable start to Munro bagging - highly recommended!
Grstrachan
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland