walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Report: Goat Fell in Winter conditions

Report: Goat Fell in Winter conditions

Postby smalltounboy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 10/03/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 900m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Met office weather reports for this weekend indicated a summit temperature of -5°C with 40mph winds giving a wind chill of -25°C, as it was an unexpected weekend off I decided to head across to Arran.
My initial plans were to climb Caisteal Abhail via 'Sail an Im' but decided on Goat Fell due to the ferry times (No early ferry on a Sunday to get a head start)
101_1084.JPG
First proper assessment of the hills

Pretty soon it became apparent that the weather was worsening higher up, so thought that I'd head up as far as the snow line before making any decisions whether to progress to the summit, it was my 10th assent of Goat Fell in 2 years so felt confident that I could still navigate even in whiteout conditions.
101_1085.JPG
Close up of extent of snow

Once off the ferry, myself and about half a dozen other walkers caught the bus and got off at Corrie, this is one of my favoured routes up the mountain as it gives a fairly consistent rate of assent all the way up, with the advantage that you gain altitude pretty quickly, within half an hour I'd made it to the deer fence and my first proper view of upper Glen Corrie
101_1086.JPG
Upper Glen Corrie

I soon made it into the snow line and made an assessment of the conditions, winds were strong and the temperature had decreased substantially with altitude, the cloud base was fluctuating but the snow had stopped.
101_1095.JPG
View towards the summit

As I live in Ardrossan and look out onto the Goat Fell everyday I was aware that there was hard compact snow beneath the fresh snow and that this was to be avoided where possible, a 100ft fall down the snow in December had made me very cautious (successfully arrested).
101_1110.JPG
Path becoming increasingly obscured

I'm always conscious of my 'tumble distance' if I trip or fall so decided to play it safe and climb up though the boulders rather that attempt to follow the path, as I was the first up the mountain that day and the snow was recent there were no footprints to follow, the effect of the high winds and snow had a beautiful effect on everything it came into contact with.
101_1100.JPG
Wind and snow swept grass

The effect of the strong wind and snow became more noticeable the higher I climbed
101_1115.JPG
Just below the summit

Finally I made it up to the summit and was amazed at what I'd found
101_1116.JPG
Trig point and information table

101_1120.JPG
Trig point

101_1126.JPG
Compulsary self shot

On the way back down the clag started to clear and sun briefly shone on the neighbouring peak of Mullach Buidhe
101_1129.JPG
Mullach Buidhe

Finally the weather cleared and the views opened up
101_1136.JPG
Mull of Kintyre and Sanda Island

I made it back to the pier in plenty of time and caught the 16:40 ferry back home enjoying the customary fish and chips and Arran blonde from the on-board cafe, all in all it was a satisfying day and whilst Goat Fell isn't a Munro, its still a pretty demanding mountain, not one to be tackled lightly when the weather turns. #scotwinter
Last edited by smalltounboy on Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:150   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Re: Goat Fell in Arctic conditions

Postby Fudgie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:24 am

Looks like a great day out. I fancy getting myself on to Arran quite soon so I was wondering if the bus service is quite regular? I've had a look on Google Earth and I would probably walk from the ferry port but the bus might make it a bit easier :oops:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby honey_munster » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:28 pm

Buses on Arran are fantastic and usually connect with the ferries. The timetables are on a handy pdf guide available at:

http://www.spt.co.uk/bus/timetables/

For Goatfell by the popular path from the brewery, it's a nice walk round the bay from the ferry terminal (Fisherman's walk) and not much additional time.
honey_munster

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:5   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Fudgie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Excellent information. Cheers :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby munroseeker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:53 pm

It's been a long ,long time since I Iast climbed Goat Fell (via Cioch na h'Oighe and Mullach Buidhe if I remember correctly). Got a glimpse from Campsies on Monday and that combined with your report has whettted my appetite for a return sometime soon. I believe the Corrie Hotel is recommended as a place to stay for walkers these days. Anyone got any thoughts on that? I can't seem to find a website for it anywhere).
Allan
munroseeker
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:114
Fionas:111   Donalds:79+32
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:18   

Postby CarTor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:18 pm

I just climbed Goatfell at the weekend - slightly better weather than you had! Just wanted to say I thought your summit photos were fantastic....I'll probably be too feart to see the summit in those conditions :lol:
CarTor
Mountain Walker

Munros:195   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland