walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dalmunzie dander

Dalmunzie dander

Postby thand » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 01/08/2015

Time taken: 9 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So with the delayed Knoydart trip approaching a long day was required to stretch out the legs.

The forecast was good for morning deteriorating in the afternoon, but EJ decided to get a jump on his second round and join me.

The normal early start had us booting up in at the Dalmunzie house hotel in the dawn twilight. Started off well enough heading up the good path, but lack of attention to the map had us crossing over to the west bank of the river and then having to cross back just before Glenlochsie lodge which ended up with me getting a soggy foot.
1.jpg

Anyway back on the path we were soon climbing and after a long walk in reached the top of Glas Tulaichean just as the cloud came down.
2.jpg
3.jpg

Ah well a couple of early morning sandwiches and we headed off to Carn an Righ. The cloud was just sticking to the top so we were soon below it and could see Loch nan Euan and Beinn Iutharn Mhor. We skirted round the bog under Mam nan Carn and were soon at the bottom of Carn an Righ.
4.jpg
5.jpg

At this point we could see the top so we dropped the bags at the bealach and bounded up Carn an Righ, again just as the cloud came down on the top. standing at the cairn we were wondering if this was to be the story of the day.

As we descended back to the bags EJ decided to confide something in me. "I was on this website last night and I saw a list of 'tops'". I wondered what impact was to have on our plans as EJ pointed to the path up up Mam nan Carn. Ok cool lets do it. Little did i realise the impact this would have on all future walks!
6.jpg

Anyway we were soon up Man nan Carn and from there it was a quick hop over to Beinn Iutharn Mhor and hoorah the summit was clear.
8.jpg

While we ate lunch we considered Carn Bhac but were put off by the rain showers we could see.

So next stop we headed to the bealach between Mam nan Carn and Beinn Iutharn Bheag, before heading up to BIB to claim another top.
9.jpg
10.jpg

From here An socath was actually looking quite impregnable but so tempting so we dropped off BIB to the east and negotiated our way to the bealach at 756m. On the way we got hit by a few showers but nothing too bad. We dropped our bags and bounced due north up to the summit which amazingly was clear.
11.jpg

We then headed due south for the long walk out aiming for the low point just east of Creag Easgaigh.
12.jpg

The path out was fairly boggy and the plateau just north of it was full of peat hags. At this time the rain really came.

Spirits were briefly lifted at Creag Easgaidh as we saw a large herd of dear below but the steep descent down to the path wasn't much fun due to being very slippy.

Once we hit the landrover path we picked up the pace and marched out at double time, taking head of horror stories of other walkers who had missed the bridge through not paying attention.

We soon made it back to the car park and changed in the woods.

A cup of coffee at Dalmunzie house and a great bagging day in a beautiful part of the world was completed!
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland