walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dumgoyne

Dumgoyne

Postby dogsandmoons » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:14 pm

Date walked: 24/10/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 427m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Only recently started to explore the Campsies and do a little walking after giving up powerlifting which I'd done for about ten years. Climbed Lairs in my trainers a couple of months ago to get a better view of the sunset, saw owls, nearly got stuck in the dark, legs nearly stopped working and was wiped out for about three days after, but I was hooked! Had also been up Meikle Bin a few weeks ago, and had read up a bit about Dumgoyne online, but wasn't that sure what to expect really. One report said if you like climbing stairs for 50 minutes straight then it was a good bet :) I thought it actually sounded not too bad, but didn't realise how steep it was compared to the other hills I'd been up. Started off about 10.45am or so, parking in the layby just along from the distillery. Really nice walk through the woods and the waterfall, then over the field and the two stiles to the bottom of the climb.

Image5Y1A0145 by dogsandmoons, on Flickr

Image5Y1A0150 by dogsandmoons, on Flickr

Image5Y1A0156 by dogsandmoons, on Flickr

Climb was fine at the start, steep enough but steady, but it did get a fair bit steeper higher up. I had read about some people being on all fours when climbing, and was thinking it was a bit strange, until I was exactly the same as I got above about the half way point! The weather stayed dry (thankfully) and I made it to the top in about 50 minutes I'd say, just one pretty short stop on the way up. As I got nearer the top, it was a bit harder to tell which path to take, but I guess they all go up to the top, I just opted for the least scary looking one, and got on ok, though the stony paths were very slippy and damp, so I tried to stick to the grass whenever I could.

After going over a fair few small crests thinking I was there, I was glad to see the trig point and reach the top. Was cool enough and also I was a bit worried about the descent and the weather potentially changing, so no break for snacks this time, took a few snaps and started making my way slowly but surely down.

Image5Y1A0169 by dogsandmoons, on Flickr

Image5Y1A0172 by dogsandmoons, on Flickr

Image5Y1A0177 by dogsandmoons, on Flickr

As I was on my way down, I stopped a few times to take photos. Was a good few ravens circling around, and also a bird of prey, maybe a peregrine falcon, I'm not sure though.

Image5Y1A0183 by dogsandmoons, on Flickr

Image5Y1A0193 by dogsandmoons, on Flickr

Was passed (going up, as I was going down) by a couple of fell runners, older dudes, about 60-65 going at a fair pace, who then sped past me again as I was stopped down at the bottom of the hill!

Image5Y1A0234 by dogsandmoons, on Flickr

There were a lot of clouds and mist hovering about, but was lucky in that it only started to rain just as I got back to the car. Would say it was about 2hrs all in, but I wasn't rushing coming down especially. Up the top, I really felt a fair bit out my depth, and was thinking to myself that I'd stick to the 'easier' hills in future, but then once safely down was thinking that was awesome, will definitely do it again :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dogsandmoons
Mountaineer

Munros:157   Corbetts:1
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Dumgoyne

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks for the reminder that I haven't climbed this hill yet. It dominated the early views when doing the West Highland Way a couple of years ago and I had promised myself I would head back and do the climb up to the top. Might be a good winter hill for me.

Great photos of your walk, loved the dark skies and rainbow on the last one - views look good from the top.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Dumgoyne

Postby dogsandmoons » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Glad you like the photos! It's quite quick really compared to others in the area I'd say, so is fine for shorter/winter days, and probably a lot quieter than it would be in the summer.
dogsandmoons
Mountaineer

Munros:157   Corbetts:1
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland