walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Atholl a' Ghlo with autumn colours

Atholl a' Ghlo with autumn colours

Postby simon-b » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie, The Sow of Atholl

Date walked: 16/10/2015

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A promising weather forecast for the third weekend in October for Scotland and a Friday off work had me booking two nights at the Bridge of Tilt Hotel near Blair Atholl. This was to be the first time I'd seen the Highlands with autumn colours, and I wasn't disappointed.

Friday 16/10/2015: The Sow of Atholl

2015 10 16.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 7.09 km
Ascent: 406 m
Time: 2 h

On Friday morning I was driving up to Scotland from Yorkshire for the sixth time this year, and by afternoon I was passing Blair Atholl and parking at Dalnaspidal - time for a quick ascent of The Sow.

IMG_0754.JPG
The Sow of Atholl from near Dalnaspidal

IMG_0759.JPG
The Pass of Drumochter from The Sow of Atholl

IMG_0770.JPG
Descending, looking to Loch Garry and Meall na Leitreach

After descending, I looked at Meall na Leitreach and realised I would probably have had time to add it. but I'd not planned for that and hadn't mentioned it to my 'responsible friend', so I went back to the car, and on to Bridge of Tilt to check in.

Saturday 17/10/2015: Beinn a' Ghlo

2015-10-17_0805 215km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 21.5 km
Ascent: 1340 m
Time: 7.25 h

Saturday morning began frosty and foggy around Blair Atholl. The short uphill drive to Loch Moraig saw me climbing out of the inversion. The car park was already nearly full when I arrived before 9:00 am. Soon I was walking towards Carn Liath.

IMG_0781.JPG
Approaching Carn Liath

The ascent was fairly steep but nothing too difficult on a clear path. The summit was reached before too long, with views of the rest of the range opening up.

IMG_0786.JPG
On Carn Liath, looking back to Loch Moraig

IMG_0788.JPG
Leaving Carn Liath, looking on to the rest of the Beinn a' Ghlo range

The ridge ahead looked impressive as I moved over Beinn Mhaol.

IMG_0794.JPG
Carn nan Ghabhar and Airgiod Bheinn from Beinn Mhaol

IMG_0795.JPG
Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain from Beinn Mhaol

More nice views appeared as Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain was reached.

IMG_0799.JPG
Am Monadh Ruaidh (The Cairngorms) from Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

The way ahead from here was clear...

IMG_0800.JPG
Leaving Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain for Carn nan Ghabhar and Airgiod Bheinn

...the fine weather meant that navigation via Bealach an Fhiodha presented no problems. After a bit of a climb, I reached the day's high point, Carn nan Ghabhar.

IMG_0805.JPG
Carn nan Ghabhar's summit from the trig point

IMG_0811.JPG
Ben Vrackie and the trig column from Carn nan Ghabhar's summit

To avoid any issues with deer stalking, I made the return over Airgiod Bheinn.

IMG_0816.JPG
Moving from Carn nan Ghabhar towards Airgiod Bheinn

This was a nice top, and gave an impressive ridge descent.

IMG_0818.JPG
On top of Airgiod Bheinn

IMG_0823.JPG
Descending from Airgiod Bheinn

After a fairly long and, in places, boggy walk out, Loch Moraig came back into view.

IMG_0830.JPG
Returning to Loch Moraig

I'd met a walker from Glasgow on the later stages of the route. She'd walked all the way from Blair Atholl to the first two Munros, but had run out of time before the third. So I gave her a lift back to Bridge of Tilt.

Sunday 18/10/2015: Ben Vrackie

2015-10-18_0816 956km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 9.59 km
Ascent: 724 m
Time: 3.4 h

Sunday began without frost or low level fog, but the sky was cloudier. However, I could see from my hotel window that Ben Vrackie's summit was clear. I checked out, drove through Pitlochry and arrived at the well-sign posted 'Ben y Vrackie' car park near Moulin. The first stage of the walk was through attractive woodland. The trees were displaying the lovely autumn colours I'd been hoping to see.

IMG_0851.JPG
Ben Vrackie from the woods above Moulin

This was a most enjoyable walk on a pleasant October day.

IMG_0870.JPG
Approaching Loch a' Choire and Ben Vrackie

I didn't really need a rest, but spent a couple of minutes on the seat by Loch a' Choire; a beautiful spot.

IMG_0875.JPG
Meall na h-Aodainn Moire from Loch a' Choire

Then followed the quite steep pull up onto Ben Vrackie, with an easy, distinct path all the way. The summit had great views.

IMG_0881.JPG
Ben Vrackie's east ridge from the summit

IMG_0876.JPG
Beinn a' Ghlo from Ben Vrackie

Ben Nevis and the Glen Coe mountains were visible in the west despite the cloudiness. After leaving the summit and returning to the loch, I continued the walk via Bealach na Searmoin, a worthwhile detour on the way back towards Moulin. The final descent was very attractive.

IMG_0904.JPG
Descending towards Pitlochry

Within about a couple of hours, I was back in England. That was my shortest ever visit to the Highlands so far, but a very worthwhile and productive one.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Atholl a' Ghlo with autumn colours

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:19 am

Excellent report and pics Simon ,I am looking forward to doing these hillls
since I was up that way doing some work looks like the weather was good for you as well
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Beautiful colours of the fall :D It was another fantastic weekend, can we have one more please?...

Accidentally, I did all of these in winter/spring time with snow covering the tops. So nice to see them, especially B Glo, in "nostalgic" autumn mood.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Looked a great trip. It's always a treat to get some decent hill weather in October. Beinn a' Ghlo is surely one of the finest massifs in the Grampians - distinctively shapely in so many views, and the three Munros make a fantastic walk (it is quite a trek back from Airgiod though isn't it?). I did the same walk back in March 2009 with much deep snow on Bhalgain but a denuded Carn nan Gabhar covered in thick verglass. Thought I was going to get away without using crampons until that point.
Great report & photos - nice title btw! :lol: :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Well done Simon for packing so much into your 'flying' visit :wink:
Will be in touch regarding next years plans 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby simon-b » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Cheers James, you should enjoy these hills when you get to them.

Thanks, BlackPanther, I've seen these hills under snow, the conditions when I did the rest of the Munros around Atholl and Drumochter. The area looks great then, too.

Cheers dav. Decent, dry weather, even with a bit of cloud, can be really beautiful in October on the British mountains.

Thanks, Martin. I forgot to mention the two nice drams of single malt I managed to pack in as well. Looking forward to 2016.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:36 pm

Efficient as ever Simon - well worth it even if a short visit to make good use of the weather conditions :thumbup:
Ben Vrackie is on the "to do list" - almost looks cycleable from your photos :crazy: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:24 pm

If I’m lucky I get two trips in up north and you’re on your 6th this year!
Lovely autumnal pictures. Beinn a’ Ghlo is my favourite hill in that area. Great you had good weather for it. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby simon-b » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:53 pm

Cheers rockhopper. Vrackie is a lovely little hill; you should enjoy it. The last bit up a stepped path above the lochan might be a bit steep to cycle.

Silverhill wrote:If I’m lucky I get two trips in up north and you’re on your 6th this year!
Lovely autumnal pictures. Beinn a’ Ghlo is my favourite hill in that area. Great you had good weather for it. :D

Thanks Silverhill. Funnily enough, I have just returned from my first trip of the year down south - beautiful autumnal scenes in Kew Gardens at the moment. I agree, Beinn a' Ghlo is a fine mountain.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:46 am

Lovely hills these - especially in the weather we've been having lately. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland