walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Middle Fell, Seatallan and Buckbarrow.

Middle Fell, Seatallan and Buckbarrow.

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Buckbarrow, Middle Fell, Seatallan

Hewitts included on this walk: Seatallan

Date walked: 22/10/2015

Time taken: 4

Distance: 8.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off just after lunch and arrived at Wast water at about 1300. Parked next to the houses in Greendale, and started the ascent on the path adjacent to Greendale Gill. Wandered up the path until just before Greendale Tarn, where I turned right and headed straight up Middle Fell. Weather was clear, but very windy on the tops!

From the summit of Middle Fell I rejoined the path and followed it down to the other side of Greendale Tarn. From here I followed the path straight up Seatallen and after a long slog reached the Trig point and summit shelter. I stopped here for a while and took in the views toward Scafell Pike and Scafell, as well as out toward the sea. Outstanding.

I then followed the hill down to Buckbarrow, before contouring down the hill through the ferns and back to the path I started on.

Nice walk in the Wast Water area, and three more Wainwrights boxed off! :D :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Re: Middle Fell, Seatallan and Buckbarrow.

Postby The English Alpinist » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:53 am

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I'm starting on all the Wainwrights this weekend, and was wondering what this section would be like when I came to it, with quality of paths and ease of access etc. Good to know there's a trig point and shelter there in case I'm in bad weather! I'll be starting earlier in the day than you and hoping to go to Haycock from there.
Stunning picture of the Scafells. You can see just why there's no direct route between them!
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi,

There are definitely easy paths to follow. Some of them are not actually on the map. IE up the side of Seatallen, but they certainly are there! Good luck with your Wainwright bagging, i'm sure you will be as addicted as us all soon!
A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:13 pm

God stuff ADT, is that a pair of saddlebags on your doggie at the summit of is it his ears flapping as he runs toward you, either way it's a lovely pic :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland