walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Postby Silverhill » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 29/05/2015

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 31.6 km

Ascent: 1609m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather forecast for this year’s munro holiday wasn’t very promising. For weeks MWIS had been suggesting that winter was not yet on its way out. With an outlook for below average temperatures, a lot of wind, thunderstorms and even snow, I added a bit more winter kit to my luggage and also some routes for low level walks in case the conditions were too hairy.

When I arrived in Pitlochry in the evening it was indeed on the chilly side and as I sat eating my dinner in the hostel conservatory, sun rain hail and snow all made an appearance, accompanied by a very brisk wind. I got talking to a fellow walker and he told me it had been baltic on the hills in the past week. MWIS had been right then. I hoped it would not be right about the risk of thunder storms for tomorrow.

In the morning, I parked at the Dalmulzie Hotel for a small fee and set off in four layers, hat and gloves. It was cold indeed. At Glenlochsie Farm the signage caused a bit of confusion. But a walker ahead of me called out that I needed to go through the gate on the left, which I duly did. At the back of the farm the walker was waiting for me. He explained he had had an altercation with the farmer about trespassing his property, so thought he’d better warn me. He was also heading for Glas Tulaichean, but needed to send a text to the home front first, whilst there was still reception, so I went ahead.

Glen Lochsie

The track soon reached a ford and because the water was low enough, I crossed the river there, and crossed it back at Glenlochsie Lodge.

Glenlochsie Lodge

The other walker caught up on the ascent of Breac-reidh and we continued together.
There would be no navigational challenges even in the thickest of weather for this hill. Just follow the track. The good company of the other walker made the ascent go very fast. At the summit we found a spot out of the biting cold wind for some food.

Summit Glas Tulaichean

Cairngorms in the distance, Beinn Iutharn Bheag and An Socach

Merrily chatting we then made our way down the north east ridge to the boggy bealach and aimed for the stalkers path that traverses the lower slopes of Mam nan Carn. Time and distance flew and soon we were on Carn an Righ. There were no views as it had started snowing.

Summit Carn an Righ

Once down Carn an Righ we said our goodbyes as I had still Beinn Iutharn Mhor to do.
From the bealach in between Carn an Righ and Mam nan Carn there is a path that contours the latter to the bealach with Beinn Iutharn Mhor. The path becomes very faint, but it is obvious were you need to go. By now the weather had perked up again and the views from the summit were great.

Summit Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Cairngorms in the distance

Beinn a’ Ghlo looked fabulous and I could see as far as the Devil’s Point. It was clear that some more weather was coming my way, so I didn’t stay at the summit for too long. Once down at the bealach I contoured the northern slopes of Mam nan Carn aiming for the bealach with Beinn Iutharn Beag.

Flurry of snow

There were a few snow showers on the way down, but I was warm as toast and the wind was behind me. From the bealach I descended towards Loch nan Eun. What a lovely place. Last time I was here I only caught a glimpse of it when the mist shifted.

Loch nan Eun

Loch nan Eun

The descent into Gleann Taitneach is quite steep initially, but the path is clear. Once on the track the going got better and there were plenty of kilometers left to enjoy the fresh air and a few hail showers.

Gleann Taitneach ahead

Looking back up the glen

At the bridge I crossed to the west bank of the river to get back to the Dalmulzie Hotel. First hill day done in much better weather than anticipated, a good start!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ, Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Loch nan Eun is a special spot! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:37 pm

Nice report and photos, beautiful area and great walk there :clap: :clap: :clap:
...and Wow ! You walked this hills just a few days before me :o :) Almost the same route...I just added also An Socach and climbed the hills straight forward rather than walked around by the path.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52683

Good memories from the walk and some wet finish by my mistake ( I missed the small bridge as I was enjoying the area so much ) :lol: and then crossing the river to short my way :lol: :lol: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:53 pm

I must get up there again soon, it looks like you had a cold clear day for your journey. Nice route to do all three and to pass Loch Nan Eun where my Grandson and I wild camped a few years ago brings back fond memories as well, but it did mean I had to treat him with something to eat on the garden lawn of the hotel, but it was a nice sunny day and it was a fine way to finish off our bonding experience.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Guinessman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:35 pm

Did this same route first week in August, didn't measure the distance and didn't realised it was such a long day. Thanks for posting. That shot of Loch Nan Eun is excellent you can feel the temperature.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Silverhill » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Graeme D wrote:Loch nan Eun is a special spot! :D

Thanks Graeme! Yes, it is a special spot and it would make a for a great wild camp. 8)

Petr Dakota wrote:Nice report and photos, beautiful area and great walk there :clap: :clap: :clap:
...and Wow ! You walked this hills just a few days before me :o :) Almost the same route...I just added also An Socach. Good memories from the walk and some wet finish by my mistake ( I missed the small bridge as I was enjoying the area so much ) :lol: and then crossing the river to short my way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Petr! I just read your report. Wow, that was a trek and a half! And even with the extra hill your route was only a few kilometers longer. I had thought about including An Socach, but decided to pace myself as there were 14 more hill days to follow. I had to chuckle when I read your ‘bridge incident’. :wink:

The Rodmiester wrote:I must get up there again soon, it looks like you had a cold clear day for your journey. Nice route to do all three and to pass Loch Nan Eun where my Grandson and I wild camped a few years ago brings back fond memories as well, but it did mean I had to treat him with something to eat on the garden lawn of the hotel, but it was a nice sunny day and it was a fine way to finish off our bonding experience.

Thanks Rod!
What a lovely place to take your grandson to for an adventure! Nothing wrong with using food as a bribe and as you said it added to your experience together. :D

Guinessman wrote:Did this same route first week in August, didn't measure the distance and didn't realised it was such a long day. Thanks for posting. That shot of Loch Nan Eun is excellent you can feel the temperature.

Thanks Guinessman! I too was quite surprised that the walk didn’t take longer. Yes, I reckoned Loch nan Eun would be a bit too fresh for some dipping, though it was tempting!
Silverhill

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi Silverhill - this was more or less my route for these three as well although I might have taken a more direct route off Glas Tulaichean. It makes for a really enjoyable day although it felt like it took ages to get down the glen and back to the hotel.

Enjoyed your photos, especially the one of Loch nan Eun with the hill to the east (?) beyond.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Silverhill » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks Gordie12! :D My companion and I did debate taking the short cut towards Carn an Righ, but it looked very steep and boggy. The detour via the path was more conducive for chatting! :lol:
The hill in the background is An Socach. It looks deceptively easy and nearby from Loch nan Eun. But it wasn’t going to trick me!
Silverhill

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland