walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Airigh Charr

Beinn Airigh Charr

Postby litljortindan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:50 pm

Route description: Beinn Airigh Charr, from Poolewe

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Airigh Charr

Date walked: 13/10/2015

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 790m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In the late nineteen nineties I spent a few festive breaks in Aultbea and Beinn Airigh Charr was on a list of possible destinations from there but other hills won out because of their closer proximity to the road and/or grander reputations. Still, its distinctive western aspect stuck in my head and it had been rattling around in there since.
So I suppose the way things might work is that this hill destination rolled around in there (my head) until, eventually, there was the right combination of circumstances.
Whatever, the weather forecast was good and I have more time for walking these days so let's do it!
A pre dawn start saw steady progress south east from Poolewe -easy walking on a road until the cairn that marks the start of the boggy shortcut east which, in retrospect, isn't really worth it in damp conditions. Really pleasant woodland walking with the tumbling rapidy river nearby up to this point.
A splash of sunrise pink coloured the sky now and all my usual doubts about the wisdom of a longish walk were dissolving. Even the boggy shortcut could not dampen my enthusiasm. Howvever, the grass was pretty wet, I don't wear gaiiters and my waterproof trousers were in the car so I did get a wee bit of cold, wet lower leg for a while. Never mind, travel light is my motto these days and to hell with the cold. Ignore it, that's what I say!
So where were we? Oh yes, off the boggy shortcut and onto the estate road again for a short way until cutting north east over grass for a few metres and then onto a seemingly abandonned other estate track that skirts all the way round the base of the hill until an interesting t junction of streams in wee gorges is reached. I just know I could have worded that better but I am in this sentence steeped so far etc. Well, you know what I mean.
Thereafater the path goes on and up in a sequence of long straights then long zig zags. Beware when entering a hanging valley type area that you're better off on the eastern side where the going is easier. Once out of the hanging valley there is a left turn out into the open hillside with great views south to Torridon.
Back north again with a gentle climb up to the bealach west of the top and then a final shorter, steeper slope before the summit.
Grand views all around.
An easy walk back. I opted for avoiding the boggy shortcut and I think that was the better thing to do.

looking back west from the cairn that marks the boggy shortcut east that isn't really worth it in the wet unless you are really in a hurry

that did qualify as bog so a pleasure to resume this easy peasy road walking

crags to the right on the way up

my eye's edge detection algorithm is triggered

that looks a fine top on the right there

path wriggles up there and round to the left -best to be on the east side of the stream here

views south to Torridon open up -well I suppose they wouldn't be closing down

An Teallach to the north

oh the water

view towards Slioch

nice wee foreground crag

constructive interference of shadows or should that be destructive

Lair, Slioch, torridon

decent view west

at the interesting t juntion of mini gorges that more or less marks the switch from track to path and from traverse to climb

this is the track at the base that doesn't quite join onto the estate road

the sun on the loch was very fine

lovely birch wood near Kernsary

following me from post to post

a lovely walk through the wood near the end
Last edited by litljortindan on Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Beinn Airigh Charr

Postby litljortindan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:49 pm

Well I liked it. I did harbour dellusions of being able to go further but was only going to do that if I felt sufficiently energetic. I didn't so it was with a bit of relief that I turned off at the boggy shortcut cairn.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:16 pm

Great area for a walk and you do get some cracking views towards Slioch (for which I have a bit of a soft spot) :thumbup:

litljortindan wrote:In the late nineteen nineties I spent a few festive breaks in Aultbea...
Nice area for it - and one of the best sources of black pudding from the butchers in Aultbea. A wee bit before then we got engaged on the shores of Loch Maree when staying in Aultbea - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:03 pm

rockhopper wrote:Great area for a walk and you do get some cracking views towards Slioch (for which I have a bit of a soft spot) :thumbup:

litljortindan wrote:In the late nineteen nineties I spent a few festive breaks in Aultbea...
Nice area for it - and one of the best sources of black pudding from the butchers in Aultbea. A wee bit before then we got engaged on the shores of Loch Maree when staying in Aultbea - cheers :)

Haven't sampled the black pudding but a good wee bar there.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Enjoyed that, an amusing read about a great wee hill.
Totally agree on the boggy shortcut, it's more trouble than it's worth I reckon :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:17 pm

Loved this hill and did the boggy short cut twice - on the way back sloshing through all the puddles regardless! :wtf:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Really enjoyed that - looks like a fine hill and the walk back along the loch side looked good to.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:03 pm

BobMcBob wrote:Enjoyed that, an amusing read about a great wee hill.
Totally agree on the boggy shortcut, it's more trouble than it's worth I reckon :)

Next time I plan to be on a bicycle and definitely not going near the shortcut of death.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:05 pm

dogplodder wrote:Loved this hill and did the boggy short cut twice - on the way back sloshing through all the puddles regardless! :wtf:

Didn't find it too bad and it does save a bit of distance and time but I did really prefer the easier going longer option on the way back. Agree, a great hill -interesting approach and grand views.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Really enjoyed that - looks like a fine hill and the walk back along the loch side looked good to.

Bit of a walk in but easy going and plenty of interesting woodland and waters along the way plus the views are great.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:37 pm

That looks like a wonderful walk. Another Corbett for my list! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:16 pm

Silverhill wrote:That looks like a wonderful walk. Another Corbett for my list! 8)

I was thinking about it for eighteen years so it was great to finally get round to it and even better to find that it exceeded expectations.
litljortindan
Ambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland