walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brilliant Beinn Eighe

Brilliant Beinn Eighe

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Route description: Beinn Eighe (western summits)

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 05/11/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1120m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Prequel to the WH Autumn/Winter Meet, superbly organised by Gill C & Tomsie :clap: :clap:
This fabulous day out was down to the doom and gloom weather forecasters. My original plan was to travel up early doors on Friday, but the forecast from Saturday onwards was wind and rain or rain and wind and most of us had visions of nobody venturing outdoors.
The forecast for Thursday looked OK so I contacted Tommy and he volunteered to join me to start the weekend a day early :wink: Tommy suggested we tackle Eighe on Thursday as it was scheduled to be a longer day than Alligin - good call, so that was sorted.
Tommy started his trek north in his van on Wednesday late afternoon early evening and set up his camp in his van in the car park for Beinn Eighe walkers 8) As usual I was planning to head north early doors and no great surprise I woke up before the alarm burst into life. Hit the road at 4.15 and had arranged to meet Tommy at 8am.
Arrived at the parking area slightly early and Tommy was still preparing his breakfast, but it wasn't long before we set off along the road. We had opted to do the route anti-clockwise and leave both vehicles in the parking area, the walk along the road gave us a chance to catch up and also warm up the legs before the going up bit started :lol:

Image Not a busy car park

Image The way up for us

Image First stop for photo's

The path uphill can be seen/found easily from the road so it was just a matter of following it uphill, nice and gentle to start with, but and there is usually a but, after the path split we took the right option and it did get rather steep. As we got higher the view behind us was superb and the other path could be seen as it joined a ridge, whereas the path we took, led us almost to the summit 8)

Image Fantastic looking ridge to the east

Image Last shot before the clag got us

Image Looking south

Image Tommy posing on the summit

We had a quick bite to eat in a sheltered spot near the summit, I would like to say we were admiring the views, but that sadly wasn't the case :( Once we left the summit we were below the cloud base and could see the way ahead and the views were awesome 8)

Image Cloud doing it's best to obscure the view

Image The ridge ahead

Image Liathach with it's own little cloud

Image Looking north

Image Liathach looking amazing

Image Fabulous

Image Great posing spot

Image The second summit - in cloud

The walk along the ridge was awesome and really good and quick progress was made and it wasn't too long before the final push up to the second summit. The good news is that there isn't too much descent/ascent between summits 8)

Image What a corrie

Image Rather grey background

On reaching the summit of Ruadh-stac Mor, we had another nibble took a few photo's with the nice grey background and off we went heading back down to the bealach.

Image Tommy surveying the descent

Image If descending keep to the right, nice steps, very steep :wink:

Image Looking back

Image Plane wreckage of the Lancaster crash

Image Water feature

After descent down to Loch Coire Mhic Fhearchair the path goes in various directions and it does take a while to get round the base of Sail Mhor and then the long walk back to the car park begins. The path is excellent and it probably took a couple of hours from the bealach back to the car park.
Great day out and it turned out to be a good shout by Tommy, really glad I went up a day early, especially as the wet stuff stayed away 8) Torridon really is an exceptional area and Beinn Eighe is certainly a hill I would return to :wink:
Bring on Friday and Ben Alligin 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Brilliant Beinn Eighe

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:47 pm

Nice one Martin, spot on getting there a couple of days early, well worth it :D A great weekend :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Silverhill » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:50 pm

The cloud makes this hill look even more dramatic. 8) Good call to head out one day earlier. Congratulations to Tommy for his 100th munro!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby tommyatr » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:51 pm

I do make good decisions now and again, was a good day and thoroughly enjoyed it.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

Postby katyhills » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Great pix and report. That fabulous ridge is just asking to be walked along. :wink:
Looking forward to getting a chance to do those, have to make a weekend of it though - maybe next year.
Congrats on your 100th Munro, Tommy - much nicer summit to do it on than mine! Wishing you luck and good fortune for the next 100 :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby simon-b » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Great photos Martin; the triple buttress looks particularly impressive, and the pictures of the ridge look good too. This mountain is definitely on my agenda for 2016.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby martin.h » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:20 am

Great report and photos Martin, it shows Torridon in sombre mood. Good shots of Liathach, it doesn't seem like two months ago since we were looking Beinn Eighe from over there.
Congrats to Tommy on his 100.
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:37 pm

You stole my posing spot! :lol: :lol:

Fantastic mountain it is :D Shame about the clag here and there, but still impressive.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks for that - brought back good memories. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby tommyatr » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:13 am

Cheers folk's. Looking forward to the next 100.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland