walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Awesome Alligin - day 2 WH meet

Awesome Alligin - day 2 WH meet

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 06/11/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1110m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I won't bother drawing the route as we almost stuck to the WH track, but more of that later :wink:
This was day 2 of the WH autumn/winter meet for me, Tommy, Gill and John however Pete (PeteR) opted to travel north leaving Ayshire just after midnight, well it probably seemed like that :lol:
The walk had been planned via FB and we had agreed to start walking at 8am and had a very cunning plan to make the most of the planned forecast. As rain and wind were forecast to arrive at midday, we decided to tackle the walk anti-clockwise which would give us a chance to enjoy the 'Horns' 8)
We met Pete in the large car park and after getting kitted up we set off, John volunteered to lead as he had been here before. However we had a slight navigational mishap and were following the clockwise path, this gave us a chance to go off piste and experience a bit of what the 'Corbeteers' are enjoying :lol: :wink:
The slight error meant we were on the west side of the burn and we could see the path on the other side, but we still enjoyed trapse through the undergrowth :wink: We did encounter an obstacle, a mere deer fence which we didn't need to climb, we manoeuvred ourselves round the overhanging end of the fence :lol:

Image Pre walk pose

Image Gill enjoying the lack of path :lol:

Image Deer fence & the Horns

Image Water feature

Image Interesting right angled turn for the burn

Image John hugging the fence pole

Image Sgurr Mor

Image The horns again

Image The path splits and so does Tommy

Image Team photo on the 10 second timer

Now we were back on the main path which was excellent and fairly easy going, however as we got higher the going got tougher and much steeper. It wasn't too long before the poles were packed away and the hands were required assist with scrambling 8)

Image Gives an indication of steepness

Image John 'casually' waiting :lol:

Image The way up, Tommy taking a photo of me taking a photo of him :lol:

Image John spoiling a good view :lol:

Image Gill admiring the view uphill

Image Pete enjoying the surroundings

Image Arty shot, just about the only time we saw the sun, well some rays :(

Image Gives you an idea of what the ascent is like up the shoulder initially

Image Angle of ascent, the going is now serious and great fun

Image Looking across to the 2nd summit

Image Looking north - very impressive

Image Lower ridge reached

Image Wow

The pictures tell the story of the ascent up the first horn :wink:

Image A very long way down

Image Typical Torridon vista - awesome

Image Above shot zoomed, note the nice wee beach

Image John leading Gill down

A few action shots now of a small hands on descent 8)

Image John being given advice by Gill :lol:

Image John gradually descending

Image Gill's turn

Image Pete getting ready

Image Pete trying a different approach

Image Impressive or what :wink:

Image Weather changing - not for the better!

Image Not much of a view :(

Image Going down now

Image Gill coming up

Image 2nd Horn (I think)

Image Looks like a route march

Image Nice little loch with a beach, not very clear though

Image Who is this appearing out of the murk?

Image We were up there

Image Do views get better than that?

Image Gairloch zoomed through the clag

Image Unique, Tom na Gruagaich

Image Fabulous shot down

Image The gang admiring the view down

Unfortunately after the above photo the heavens opened and the wind picked up, not that it wasn't windy before and the camera was packed away so that is it photo wise :( I know my colleagues kept snapping so a few bonus photo's may appear later :wink:
The ascent up was "interesting", the first problem was the lack of visibility, we couldn't really see the way ahead. There were a couple of paths, both heading to the summit, by this time we were getting a good soaking, the good news was the hill was partially protecting us from the worst of the wind 8)
The summit was reached where a few photo's were taken (not by me) :( and then it was time to head downhill. We initially headed off south east - in the wrong direction, mainly because we couldn't see where we were going, this is where modern technology comes into it's own. So we traversed west which enabled us to pick up the well trodden path, the descent path (for us) was pretty relentless, the good news was it was well maintained and consisted of large stones.
When we reached the lower slopes we appeared out of the clag and it was an amazing feeling seeing the way ahead and the weather even improved.
The car park was a welcome sight and it was great to remove the wet boots and the rest of the gear. Whilst we were in the car park a couple of stalkers appeared both with guns, the first one arrived on a quad bike with a deer strapped on the back, apparently already gutted. It was time to drive the one mile or so back to the Youth Hostel and meet the Friday arrivals 8)
To sum up Ben Alligin is a fantastic group of hills and would probably feature in most walkers top ten :clap:
A huge thanks to all my colleagues for making the day so memorable, even the grotty weather couldn't ruin it :lol:
Next is a long Saturday walk, so watch this space :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Awesome Alligin - day 2 WH meet

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:18 pm

nice one , are those the horns in your pictures ? I expected them to be more narrow and pointy ?
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:29 pm

A great report Martin :clap:

Not quite so sure about the action shots of me making a baboons backside of that short down climb by the way :lol: :shock: I'll post my reports up eventually, and will try to put a positive spin on that little episode :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby tommyatr » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:38 am

Cheers for a great day out Martin, gill, John and Pete. Probably one of my most enjoyable days out until coming down of the second when my feet cried enough, even the soaking didn't bother me.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:17   

Postby martin.h » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 am

It looks like you had a good weekend Martin and you did manage to get some views from Alligin, a bonus considering the forecast. If we do Alligin again we'll do it your way round, it looks interesting.
Torridon is a unique and special place, Its good to see the weather behaved and you all had a good do :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:32 pm

One of the best Munros in Scotland and even better when done with friends :D :D :D

Going up the Horns first is steep as hell but the scrambling fun makes up for all the pain!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Tomsie » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks for a good day :) , saw a little more than the first time up here :D , and that walk after second Munro was as bad as the last time, those boulder steps are just to big :crazy:

Was no one listening to The Rodmeister giving directions night before, to go back over the bridge :roll: :wink:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland