walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Damh: sunshine and spectres ... WH Meet Nov 2015

Beinn Damh: sunshine and spectres ... WH Meet Nov 2015

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 07/11/2015

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1100m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another quick report from the Nov 2015 WH meet in Torridon.
Rodmeister has already posted from Beinn Damh a couple of days previously, I've just added a splash of extra sunshine, thrown in a few Brocken Spectres and fogbow, an unexpected rendezvous with a WH local, and an invisible eagle. Enjoy.
Beinn Damh will always now have a special place, as I discovered The Joy of Corbetts there, and ensured a first Munro-free trip to Scotland. In truth the trip was always about the chance to meet the great and good of the regular WH community, any walking/staggering was a bonus.
Saturday 7th was an unexpectedly excellent day weather-wise, and Pete Riedel and I set off up Beinn Damh from the youth hostel, adding an unenthralling extra few miles to the journey. Probably just as well for me, as I had replaced considerable amounts of my circulating volume with Talisker the night before, the extra miles helped me normalise :crazy: ...
Up through the delightful forest ....

Beinn Alligin behind us ...

On the trail of the lonesome pine ...

A good path straight up to the bealach, a tad greasy towards the end, first views over to the south-west to Loch Damh:

Looking back to the north-west from the initial part of the ridge..

The way up to the summit bypassed the other top, and we stayed mainly in the mist. Summit view looking south..

On the summit we bumped into delightful Walk Highlands legend AnnieMacD, hopping about with a massive camera, and insisting on posing Pete and me by the summit cairn for a number of photos :D - coming to a catwalk near you soon. Great to meet you Annie. We set off back down, a bit nippy up there and the mist started to drift away:

And then it was meteorological showtime :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
and fogbow:

Looking back up the bouldery summit ridge, AnnieMacD busy on the skyline with her camera:

Beinn Eighe in the distance ... absolutely swarming with Walk Highlanders

We decided to go over the subsidiary top (or Brian as I now classify these lumps), seemed a bit rude not to:

Looking back to Beinn Damh's knobbly summit

Munros: Beinn Liath Mhor, Sgorr Ruadh and Maol Chearn Dearg. The Corbett An Ruadh-Stac ("Slabby one") on the right:

Loch Torridon, overlooked by Meall Gorm and Sgurr na Bana-Mhoraire (more Grahams or Brians , whatever :? ) ...

Upper Loch Torridon with Beinn Alligin, Beann Dearg and Liathach western flank

The sun beginning to dip down over Loch Damh and Loch Carron

We saw a Golden Eagle soaring about but out of camera range sadly. Then it was back down over a boulder field to join the main route back to the bealach and the way down

One last meteorological fling, a thin veil of rain/moisture passing up the Loch giving us a rainbow lasting for ages. Horns of Alligin as a backdrop ...

And once more through the delightful forest...

Could have done without the bonus two miles on the road back to the hostel, but we bumped into Alan Ross on his way to pick up his prescription, and then more WalkHighland legends, weaselmaster and sick kid, off to collect their car after bagging Grahams, Marilyns, Brians and all sorts.
A grand day out.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Re: Beinn Damh: sunshine and spectres ... WH Meet Nov 2015

Postby PeteR » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Superb report Jonathan :clap: and superb photos too :clap:

Really enjoyed teaming up for this walk :D

I'm glad you got to experience the joys of broken spectres and that rare phenomena - the fogbow. Really bizarre we were discussing them on the summit just a few minutes earlier with Annie and then we get to see one on the way down (and at the same time as a broken spectre too 8) )

Looking forward to our modelling shoot to appear in a report very soon.......I can see the offers will start flooding in :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:56 pm

Great report and photos and clearly another Corbett convert. Looks like Darren wasn't the only person to double his Corbett count with a cracker on Saturday. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:13 am

enjoyed that and great atmospheric photos - thought there was as sprinkling of snow on one of the mountain shots until I realised it was Beinn Eighe :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:29 am

Stunning photographs there Jonathan :clap: :clap:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:20 pm

This area is a photographer's delight - which you show to perfection. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Aqyzx » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:02 pm

Cracking photos! I was up Meall Gorm and SnBM in the summer (trigpoint tick), but wasn't feeling adventurous enough at the time to do Damh proper. More fool me judging by your report! :lol:
Aqyzx
Mountaineer

Munros:21   Corbetts:3
Fionas:9   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:41   
Islands:9

Postby Sunny Speyside » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Lovely photos there Jonathan, glad you enjoyed the trip north.
I have had 3 trips to Torridon and still have not managed Beinn Damh, I seriously need to put this right.
Cheers
Evie
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:29 pm

great report and lovely pictures, an absolute beauty of a viewpoint then ? i will follow you and call all other wee lumps of hill Brian from now on :lol: :lol: :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Silverhill » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Another Corbett for my list…. Beautiful pictures, showing off this area very well. 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:23 am

dogplodder wrote:This area is a photographer's delight - which you show to perfection. 8)

Sunny Speyside wrote:Lovely photos there Jonathan, glad you enjoyed the trip north.
I have had 3 trips to Torridon and still have not managed Beinn Damh, I seriously need to put this right.
Cheers
Evie

Silverhill wrote:Another Corbett for my list…. Beautiful pictures, showing off this area very well. 8)

tomyboy73 wrote:great report and lovely pictures, an absolute beauty of a viewpoint then ? i will follow you and call all other wee lumps of hill Brian from now on :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aqyzx wrote:Cracking photos! I was up Meall Gorm and SnBM in the summer (trigpoint tick), but wasn't feeling adventurous enough at the time to do Damh proper. More fool me judging by your report! :lol:

wilkiemurray wrote:enjoyed that and great atmospheric photos

Graeme D wrote:Great report and photos and clearly another Corbett convert. Looks like Darren wasn't the only person to double his Corbett count with a cracker on Saturday. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Rodmiester wrote:Stunning photographs there Jonathan :clap: :clap:

Thanks to all for your kind comments. Torridon is still my favourite area - so far ...! So much to do there.

PeteR wrote:Superb report Jonathan :clap: and superb photos too :clap:
Looking forward to our modelling shoot to appear in a report very soon.......I can see the offers will start flooding in :lol: :lol:

Annie's published them ... I ain't winning any beauty competitions anytime soon!
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:56 am

More stunning pictures of what must have been an amazing day!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:34 pm

Fantastic report and a great set of photos, Jonathan.

What an amazing day we all had! Funny, I was only a little behind you but I did not see the fog bow - must have been to do with angle from the sun - so glad you saw one though. If you or Pete want a high pixel copy of your modelling session on the summit, just PM me with your email address(es) and I'll send them, otherwise you can just download them from the Flick site. I thought they were rather good!

Snow is down to about 200m today - yikes!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland