walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Beanie recommendations please

Beanie recommendations please

Postby Ltuddenham » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:24 pm

I've put up with an itchy beanie for too long. It has a fleece headband for comfort but the rest is wool and overall it's prickly. Have a smartwool merino wool beanie which has the same effect.

I'd be grateful for your recommendations. My criteria are: next to skin comfort, light, windproof but not completely weatherproof (my hood goes up if it's really inclement), and it must be available in a large size. Many of the beanies on the market are one size fits all which is demonstrably untrue.
Ltuddenham
Mountain Walker

Re: Beanie recommendations please

Postby mrssanta » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Make one. a scrap of fleece and a sewing machine are all you need. I have a pattern if you want one.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Ltuddenham » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Thought you were offering to knit me a hat for a moment mrssanta. I don't have a sewing machine and as a hardened gear junkie I am ready to pay for good kit.
Ltuddenham
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:50 pm

I could knit you one but I reckon it would tickle as well!
All my hats are home made so I don't have any serious recommendations otherwise :(
I could easily knock you up a fleece beanie if you want. Wouldn't be very sophisticated though. And I'm not sure how windproof fleece is unless it is windblock, and I don't have any of that in my stash.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Ltuddenham » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:21 pm

I think fleece on it's own wouldn't be windproof but thanks for the offer. I got some mittens recently made of the windbloc material, seems to work well but no chance to test them properly yet - sounds like I'll get a chance tomorrow night when Abigail pays a visit.
Ltuddenham
Mountain Walker

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:45 pm

Good luck finding a hat that isn't one size fits all. I too have the same problem. My Mum knits me beanies :) I've also got a couple of fluffy fleece hats from Craghoppers (appears they don't make them any more) and they completely keep the wind off me. Also you can turn a buff into a decent balaclava or knotted-hanky-style-thing (what's the bloody word for that? having a senior moment)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby tenohfive » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:55 pm

I've got a Rab Powerstretch jobbie, I think Powerstretch is a bit of a wonder fabric - warm, comfortable, wicks well etc. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby Ltuddenham » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:07 pm

Some promising leads there guys, keep them coming.
Ltuddenham
Mountain Walker

Postby onsen » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:18 am

Merino & Possum fur blend, double layer... lightweight, soft & oh so warm. 8)
Google will help you out for availability in the UK......

039 (Medium).JPG
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby President Weasel » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:57 am

I've got an incredibly yellow sealskinz one which hasn't been itchy so far. I realise you're not looking for weatherproof and this one is, but I'm assuming you don't mind if it also keeps the rain off? Comes in various sizes too.
I got mine on sportpursuit for 'bargains bargains, much cheapness' but I'm betting you could pick one up for cheaper than RRP on amazon or what have you.

Don't think I am allowed to post a link, but a search for sealskinz waterproof beanie ought to do it.
President Weasel
Mountaineer

Munros:21   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby jepsonscotland » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Icebreaker Pocket Beanie are damn near perfect!
Never too warm or too cold, excellent breathability too.
They don't keep out the noise of the wind much, but the trade off is comfort, as 'windstopper' is much less breathable and quite warm. I use either depending on the severity of the weather.... :shock:
They come in many colours for all fashionistas and are all 'two colour' (inside and out) reversible.
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Ltuddenham » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:35 pm

Ossen - were any possums harmed in the making of that beanie? I'm fond of possums, one used to come into our garden when I lived in the States many years ago. The merino wool content would put me off, and the same goes for the icebreaker beanie. The sealskinz beanie looks good but might be too warm - the downside of weatherproofing, although the sealskinz beanies come in size XXL according to their website - which would be about right for me.

Just call me hard to please. Thanks for all your ideas.
Ltuddenham
Mountain Walker

Postby onsen » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:00 pm

Ltuddenham wrote:Ossen - were any possums harmed in the making of that beanie? I'm fond of possums, one used to come into our garden when I lived in the States many years ago. The merino wool content would put me off, and the same goes for the icebreaker beanie. The sealskinz beanie looks good but might be too warm - the downside of weatherproofing, although the sealskinz beanies come in size XXL according to their website - which would be about right for me.

Just call me hard to please. Thanks for all your ideas.

They're a introduced feral species in NZ which
they are trying to eradicate, fur & meat not wasted in the proces....Similar issues with foxes,
rabbits & the dreaded cane toad in Australia.

Another option I just thought of is a stretchy
'Buff', handy multi-use lightweight piece o' kit.

Good luck with your search.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:26 pm

I tend just to use a basic fleece beanie - think I got it from Asda. Not windproof though. If I want windproof, I'd either use the hood of my waterproof or windproof jacket or one of my mountain biking skull caps, sort of like this - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mrssanta » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:53 pm

jepsonscotland wrote:Icebreaker Pocket Beanie are damn near perfect!

Chris

I had one of these. It popped off the top of my over large head and failed to cover my ears at all.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk