walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Autumn light on Rannoch Moor

Autumn light on Rannoch Moor

Postby shivy88 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 01/11/2015

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a month since I’d been out in the hills and I was beginning to feel the effects of withdrawal creeping in... For almost the whole of October being out in the hills had given way to one of my other favourite things – the Rugby World Cup! I had only managed one trip out to Loch Muick and no hills were climbed thanks to a combination of wind, peeing rain and wanting to back in time for the semi-final. But as of the 1st of November it was all over and I was dying to get back out!

The morning was cold and crisp with clear blue skies and the forecast for where we were heading showed the same. The aftermath of watching the final was that we were starting the day much later than usual and it was 8.30am before we were even on our way. I don't like wasting daylight in winter but I do like the odd pint of cider! Sometime you just need to compromise :lol: Another stop off for some bacon rolls in Tyndrum it was just after 10.30am by the time we were on the path. Still we were happy enough we’d have enough daylight, and at worst would be following the Water of Tulla back to the car in the dark - no problem!

Just after leaving the car park we took the signed hill path heading for Beinn Achaladair first. There were no issues heading up, the going was straightforward but boggy in places. We spotted plenty of places that would make great wild camping spots. I'm already looking forward to heading back to them! :D It was pretty windy and exposed up on the ridge. I nearly lost my dry bag with my hat and gloves etc in it when it got blown away by the wind as I put my jacket on - but it was skillfully caught by Owen as he balanced on one leg trying not to loose the gaiter he'd just been adjusting 8) Even though we knew time was short it was hard to rush ourselves across the tops. The views were incredible, I just kept staring all around me. Its difficult to make good time when every few steps you stop to take in the full 360 but there was just such amazing views all around I couldn't help wanting to take it all in.

Heading off the second summit of the day, Beinn a’Chreachain, it was pretty clear we would be finishing the walk in the dark. I didn't want to leave the top at all. I felt like a kid being told they have to leave the party early. I could have stayed up there for hours! I wished I was wild camping right there and could stay to watch the sun go down. I did get to see the sun setting as we walked down into the Coire. Rannoch Moor was glowing red infront of us. I love sunsets, and days like this are so rare. By the time we reached the Water of Tulla the sun was nearly gone and it wasn't long before the light was gone completely. The path started off really good but either disappeared into bog or was lost in the dark. Headtorches came out and did a great job of showing just how boggy what we were about to step into was. Turns out that thing bog does where it looks solid but then swallows your whole foot is even better in the dark... :? I was glad when the beam of headtorches finally lit up a landrover track and led us back to the car without bother.

There were still cars in the car park when we made it back. I wondered if they were camping out there, enjoying the cloudless sky and all the stars on show... and spared a thought for anyone still walking back through the bog!

A quick change (thanks to some choice steps I had mud up to my knees!) and we were off in the car back to Tyndrum to treat ourselves to some fish and chips. Just when you think the day can't get any better, as we were finishing our chippy, a large party sitting near us passed on some cakes that they'd ordered too much of - we were more than happy to help them out! :D

thumb_IMG_8166_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8172_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8175_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8179_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8183_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8185_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8193_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8195_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8199_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8204_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8207_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8211_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8217_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8227_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8230_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8233_1024.jpg
shivy88

Munros:207   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Autumn light on Rannoch Moor

Postby Silverhill » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:06 pm

I can understand why you didn’t want to leave, stunning views! I didn’t have any at all.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland