walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Knne Injuries

Re: Knne Injuries

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like it's going to be an MRI Scan and whatever follows on from that. Seen my Physio 5 times now and he's baffled :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby golfpunk » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:01 pm

it seems my IT band syndrome has gone after a good 6 month rest and the foam rolling/stretches I was doing towards the end of last year.

have had 4 trips up the hills so far this year and haven't had an issue with it at all so very pleased. I have however hurt my lower back again (not through a result of hillwalking) so will be going to an osteopath to finally get that looked at as it's something that keeps cropping up and really needs sorting.
golfpunk
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby Riverman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:40 pm

I've struggled with ITBS. Weakness or strength imbalance in hips could be an issue as it is for me. Get the MRI but don't immediately go down the surgery route. My MRI in 2013 showed cartilage damage (meniscal tear) that was fixed in arthroscopy but that did not stop what turned out to be IT band issue. Do an arthroscopy on any hill walker or runner (whether they have knee pain or not) and the cartilage ain't going to look great. Consider gait analysis and orthotics.

Physio and focused hip/glute exercises have helped me. I've learned that pain around the knee can often be attributed to problems at the hip or ankle. If it is ITBS remember that it's fundamentally an overuse injury so you've got to ease off the gas to beat it and return to previous activity levels gradually. In Kintail the othet week I had 3 great pain free days (much easier days than I was doing last year) but on day 4 on an easy Corbett I got the niggles so am easing off again.

Good luck and don't let it stress you. These things are a nuisance but they can be tackled successfully with patience and a positive frame of mind.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby electricfly » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:42 pm

golfpunk wrote:it seems my IT band syndrome has gone after a good 6 month rest and the foam rolling/stretches I was doing towards the end of last year.

This is what you need to do. Rest up and do some foam rolling therapy.

I'm almost certain you are describing IT band inflamation. (Iliotibial Band Syndrome). Basically you've been pushing your pins too hard recently.

Your muscles will be feeling strong, however because of certain repetative patterns in your gait, you are experiencing inflamation along your ibiotibial band. This is the ligament which runs down the outside of your leg from hip to ankle. Things you can do to get it mended quickly are; massage the outside of the knee joint using a foam roller, support the area under a soft pillow when sleeping. When walking during the day try using a toes outward/ heels inward gait. (this sounds strange, but I recently found out that the alignment of my pedal cleats on my road cycling shoes were causing my IT band to inflame at the knee.) It may be the case that when moving up hill you have been unwittingly pointing your toes inwards slightly?

Rest up and allow the inflamation to recover before attempting more long days hiking. When you do get back out for big hills, use a pair of poles for both steep ascents and descents, this will take the pressure off areas normally susceptible to inflamation.

Hope this is of some help. :)
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:50 am

Great news from me at least - my knee having swollen up yesterday feels almost as good as new this morning :lol:
The human body is a strange thing, so the weekend of walking is looking good 8)
Good luck to everyone else, my day of doing virtually nothing yesterday maybe helped :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby tina bonar » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Howdy JP, i got my feet checked at Craigdon in Perth,bought Supafeet insoles for my boots and no knee problems now. Have got another pair for my work boots too. £30 a pair but well worth it for me :-)
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:52 am

It looks like I've got a meniscal tear. Anyone else had this and could give me an idea of the recovery times etc?

I've got an appointment with a consultant on 17/12 so it's progress at last :?
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby hooter2014 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:33 am

This is a bit spooky. You first posted on the day my knees started giving me grief :?

I thought they had sorted themselves out early September and so did a week of fairly easy walking in the Lakes at the beginning of the month but quickly realised they hadn't so pushed at the Dr's and Physio to progress a diagnosis. Having had an MRI and follow up consultation I've found I have the same problem as you. My left knee is worse so apparently that will need to be sorted first. I now have a surgical consultation on Thursday coming. The Physio I saw thought that the initial "down" period after the op would be a couple of weeks then a bit of rehab to build things back up. I know that it may depend on what they have to remove, but I too am interested in the thoughts and comments of others who have had an arthroscopy.
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:56 pm

hooter2014 wrote:I thought they had sorted themselves out early September and so did a week of fairly easy walking in the Lakes at the beginning of the month but quickly realised they hadn't so pushed at the Dr's and Physio to progress a diagnosis. Having had an MRI and follow up consultation I've found I have the same problem as you. My left knee is worse so apparently that will need to be sorted first. I now have a surgical consultation on Thursday coming. The Physio I saw thought that the initial "down" period after the op would be a couple of weeks then a bit of rehab to build things back up. I know that it may depend on what they have to remove, but I too am interested in the thoughts and comments of others who have had an arthroscopy.

jupe1407 wrote:It looks like I've got a meniscal tear. Anyone else had this and could give me an idea of the recovery times etc? I've got an appointment with a consultant on 17/12 so it's progress at last :?

I used to work in operating theatres. A study showed that those who had surgery showed no faster progress than those who simply rested the affected limb. Surgery therefore was the worse option, due to potential complications; infection, amputating the wrong leg, dying from mistakes or unforeseen reaction to anaesthesia. These are real risks. If you can stand not "pushing at the Dr's and Physio to progress a diagnosis" you will get better without surgery. Or if you demand surgery, you deserve it....
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:10 pm

My job involves a lot of knneling ;) and I suffer with knee problems. For my money my GP has not been a great deal of help - scans, physio, and a lot of other tedious malarkey have got me nowhere. I recently started seeing, privately, a local osteopath and he has sorted me right out.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby golfpunk » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:02 am

golfpunk wrote:it seems my IT band syndrome has gone after a good 6 month rest and the foam rolling/stretches I was doing towards the end of last year.

have had 4 trips up the hills so far this year and haven't had an issue with it at all so very pleased. I have however hurt my lower back again (not through a result of hillwalking) so will be going to an osteopath to finally get that looked at as it's something that keeps cropping up and really needs sorting.

the IT band syndrome reared it's ugly head on my ascent down nevis after doing it via cmd arete at the end of august. :(

that was our last trip up the hills as the wife was 4 months pregnant when we did that so we thought we'd lay off the hill-walking until after the baby is born.

think i'll spend the winter foam rolling and strengthening with my theraband. i've also bought some kinesio tape to start taping my right knee up (the one that doesn't have IT band problem) as that's the one that gives me bother the following day after being up the hills as I had acl reconstruction on it about 10 years ago.

falling apart really. :lol:
golfpunk
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:1

Postby Michael Thomson » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:05 pm

jupe1407 wrote:It looks like I've got a meniscal tear. Anyone else had this and could give me an idea of the recovery times etc?

I've got an appointment with a consultant on 17/12 so it's progress at last :?

I had multiple tears to the meniscus in my right knee last summer. MRI scan showed them up clearly, along with some general wear and tear. Like Indiana Jones said, It's not the years, it's the mileage.
After the initial torture by physio, it took about 3 months to get back to full working order in terms of mountains.
It still twinges on occasion on protracted downhills, but no major issues. The main thing that's helped was giving it a rest for a while then slowly building up strength work on the quads and glutes.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby hooter2014 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:I used to work in operating theatres. A study showed that those who had surgery showed no faster progress than those who simply rested the affected limb. Surgery therefore was the worse option, due to potential complications; infection, amputating the wrong leg, dying from mistakes or unforeseen reaction to anaesthesia. These are real risks. If you can stand not "pushing at the Dr's and Physio to progress a diagnosis" you will get better without surgery. Or if you demand surgery, you deserve it....

Well, I'm only hoping the surgeon knows left from right! And demand surgery is not what I did. It is not getting better, in fact worse and whilst I would be more than willing to try complete rest, thats not really an option as I'm not overly good at hopping. :crazy:
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:04 am

BobMcBob wrote:My job involves a lot of knneling ;) and I suffer with knee problems. For my money my GP has not been a great deal of help - scans, physio, and a lot of other tedious malarkey have got me nowhere. I recently started seeing, privately, a local osteopath and he has sorted me right out.

Man, that haunts me :lol: :lol:

I guess i'll just have to wait to see what the Consultant chap says. He's highly regarded in the area i believe so i'm hopeful
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:01 am

A quick update on my "knne"

I have quite a large lateral tear of the cartilage below my knee cap, cris-crossed with a smaller vertical tear. I've been referred for an op which will trim away the cartilage down to where the tear is, which should resolve the problems re swelling etc. The consultant himself says he had the procedure done a few years back and is still able to run, play sports etc which is encouraging.

Anyone else had this done and more importantly, how long before you were back on the hills relatively pain-free?
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion