walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ciste Dubh

Ciste Dubh

Postby Silverhill » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ciste Dhubh

Date walked: 05/06/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 818m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ciste Dubh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After yesterday’s adventure I promised myself an easy day, so Ciste Dubh it was. I parked the car in a layby along the A87, roughly 1km east of Cluanie Inn. A quick walk along the road, a jump across a ditch just before the bridge and that was the start of a very squelchy walk along An Caorann Beag and the rain didn’t make it any better.

A wet view of Loch Cluanie

I had started late, hoping to catch the better weather forecast for the afternoon. Lo and behold, 1 hour into the walk, the rain stopped and things started brightening up a bit. I had a chat with a soaked walker who was already on his way back. He said he had struggled with the path up Bealach a’ Choinich. I’m not sure which route up he had taken, because it really was straightforward.

View back from just below the bealach

From the bealach the ascent to the ridge of Ciste Dubh was less straightforward, what a boggy mess! Somehow I managed to pick a way up without slipping or sinking too deep into the mud. The hill became a bit more solid further on and after a short steep stretch there was the ridge. Very nice!

The ridge ahead

It narrows considerably, before it broadens again. The path is just to the side of the ridge, so the walk along the narrow section was easy, even in today’s brisk wind. From the ridge there is a good view of the summit and you can see why it is called Ciste Dubh.

The black chest

Unfortunately the summit cairn didn’t offer much in the way of shelter, so after some pictures and a quick sandwich the descent commenced. Admiring the views would have to be done on the trot.

Summit Ciste Dubh

North Glen Shiel ridge

Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan

A’ Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Am Bathach tempting

Allt Cam-ban

The North Glen Shiel ridge really stole the show, especially Coire nan Eun with the silvery Allt Cam-ban slithering down. Am Bathach looked like a very tempting return route. And it would avoid the squelchy walk out….
Back at the bealach Am Bathach looked incredibly steep and today was earmarked as an easy day. So, back down the squelch. The weather now really had perked up and the walk out was done in blazing sunshine. Was this the start of summer in Scotland?

Start of summer?
Last edited by Silverhill on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Ciste Dubh

Postby M_K_Hubbert » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:15 am

Nice trip for a short November day...and good that the weather cleared up nicely to provide the views. It's a few years since I've been on Ciste Dubh but recall the ascent was really quite steep. I was with my wife and 3 friends who were collecting Munros and we'd had an excellent traverse of the A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire ridge in February but were descending to An Caorann Mor with over 2hrs daylight in hand. At this point I suggested that we take in another 'small hill, namely Ciste Dubh but kept rather quiet about the 580m re-ascent which we managed in under an hour (with my wife reaching summit about 5min ahead of us as she loves steep ascents). A quick descent in fading light took us back to the An Caorann Mor track which we walked in the dark and the normally good track was tricky in parts where it was covered in water ice.

Defintely a hill on our list for another repeat visit!
M_K_Hubbert
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:16   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:53
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:24 am

Thanks for the photos from Ciste Dubh summit :) , I missed the views ( from Ciste Dubh only ) when I was there in Jully doing Am Bathach & Ciste Dubh & The Brothers :roll:
Good walk despite the wet condition, :clap: just wondering you did not add the Corbett Am Bathach - nice walk there through... :?:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:25 am

Just goes to show timing is everything :D I can imagine the section up to the ridge section would be a waterlogged mess but no misshaps which is the main thing. A nice bit of the white stuff gathering on the West slopes, a bit of snow helps the photographs as well :D Nice hill :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dav2930 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:06 pm

I remember thinking what a very fine peak Ciste Dubh is, when I tagged it on to a traverse of 'the Brothers' back in July 2003. It was definitely the best hill of the day, with an airy summit and fine views. Your report and excellent photies bring back some good memories. :) What strikes me in your pics is the snow; it looks more like old snow, as you'd find in April or May, than the usual fresh dustings of November. It's been a strange year! :?
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Silverhill » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:36 pm

Thanks all for the comments! I’m still catching up on trip reports and this walk was done in June. I have changed the date now. Sorry for misleading you. :oops:

M_K_Hubbert wrote: ... but were descending to An Caorann Mor with over 2hrs daylight in hand. At this point I suggested that we take in another 'small hill, namely Ciste Dubh but kept rather quiet about the 580m re-ascent.
Defintely a hill on our list for another repeat visit!

Thanks M_K_Hubbert! :D When planning the trip I did consider linking Ciste Dubh with Mullach Fraoch-coire and A’ Chralaig, but after realising how much re-ascent was involved this idea was quickly binned. I take my hat off to you! :clap: It is a lovely hill, worth a repeat visit!

Petr Dakota wrote:Thanks for the photos from Ciste Dubh summit :) , I missed the views ( from Ciste Dubh only ) when I was there in Jully doing Am Bathach & Ciste Dubh & The Brothers :roll:
Good walk despite the wet condition, :clap: just wondering you did not add the Corbett Am Bathach - nice walk there through... :?:

Thanks Petr! :D I'm glad the weather brightened up. Am Bathach did look fantastic and I will definitely be back for it!

The Rodmiester wrote:Just goes to show timing is everything :D I can imagine the section up to the ridge section would be a waterlogged mess but no misshaps which is the main thing. A nice bit of the white stuff gathering on the West slopes, a bit of snow helps the photographs as well :D Nice hill :wink:

Thanks Rodmiester! :D I was quite keen on an easy and safe walk after the adventure of the day before. :wink: It is a very nice peak, a bit hidden away. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to the ridge with the airy walk along the narrow bits.

dav2930 wrote:I remember thinking what a very fine peak Ciste Dubh is, when I tagged it on to a traverse of 'the Brothers' back in July 2003. It was definitely the best hill of the day, with an airy summit and fine views. Your report and excellent photies bring back some good memories. :) What strikes me in your pics is the snow; it looks more like old snow, as you'd find in April or May, than the usual fresh dustings of November. It's been a strange year! :?

Thanks dav2930! :D A fine peak indeed, very shapely. Well observed that it is old snow. :wink: The walk was done in June. But nonetheless a strange year. For most of my June munro holiday the weather was very autumnal if not wintery. :shock:
Silverhill

Postby martin.h » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi Silverhill, nice report and lovely photos, it bought back memories of our day, Ciste Dubh is a cracking mountain and a great viewpoint, I can remember that bealach though, crikey its damp, I would'nt like to get caught out there in bad weather. Talking about the weather, I did wonder about that snow myself but, there again, I am quite easily confused. :roll: :lol:

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby dav2930 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:09 am

Silverhill wrote:Thanks dav2930! :D A fine peak indeed, very shapely. Well observed that it is old snow. :wink: The walk was done in June. But nonetheless a strange year. For most of my June munro holiday the weather was very autumnal if not wintery. :shock:

Not quite as strange a year as I first thought then - phew! :lol:
Thanks for the explanation. :thumbup:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi Silverhill - sometimes I feel like the only person not to have walked in this part of the country. It looks good, maybe 2016.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby AnnieMacD » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:39 pm

Great report - this one is on my list but I think I'll combine with the Corbett. I'll definitely aim for views - love that one of Allt Cam-ban.

I'll have to check your reports for the hard day you had on the previous day!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:49 pm

martin.h wrote: Ciste Dubh is a cracking mountain and a great viewpoint, I can remember that bealach though, crikey its damp, I would'nt like to get caught out there in bad weather.

Thanks Martin! :D I managed to avoid the wettest parts of the bealach, but the fun started on the way up to the ridge. It was such a mud pie! Once on the ridge that was all forgotten, what a glorious walk with that steep drop to the right. 8)

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Silverhill - sometimes I feel like the only person not to have walked in this part of the country. It looks good, maybe 2016.

Thanks Gordie12! :D That’s one of the many good things about the hills, they are not going anywhere!
There are so many parts of this country which I haven’t explored yet. I’ve got years and years of walking fun ahead of me. :D

AnnieMacD wrote:Great report - this one is on my list but I think I'll combine with the Corbett. I'll definitely aim for views - love that one of Allt Cam-ban. I'll have to check your reports for the hard day you had on the previous day!

Thanks Annie! :D It makes sense to include Am Bathach in the round, I was just being a wuss. Definitely aim for views, they are magnificent from this hill!
Silverhill

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Great hill this one. Remember the boggy bealach well! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Silverhill » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:29 pm

dogplodder wrote:Great hill this one. Remember the boggy bealach well! :D

Thanks dogplodder! It makes us appreciate dry underfoot conditions even more! :wink:
Silverhill

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland