walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arrochar Corbetts Catch Up

Arrochar Corbetts Catch Up

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:43 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain, Beinn Luibhean

Date walked: 21/11/2015

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 9.46 km

Ascent: 1406m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This weekend was intended to be an opportunity to nab Allison's outstanding Corbetts - Beinn an Lochain, Beinn Luibhean and Meall an Fhudair. However, there was also the possibility of dropping the last hill for Beinn Trilleachan, which we both needed - we'd see how the weather fared. I'd decided we'd lodge at the campsite at Ardlui, which was reasonably well placed for teh Arrochar hills, less so if we did Trilleachan, but at least it was open unlike the majority of sites at this time of year. Arrived in the dark and after a bit of disorientation (the campsite's over on the left side of the road, not the Marina/Caravan park site on the right) we got pitched and settled in for what turned out to be a cold night. The predicted gales didn't materialise, but it was a mite chilly.

Ardlui Campsite - and nifty Hobbit Huts
ImageDSC00022 by Al, on Flickr

I'd elected to try for Lochain and Luibhean for Saturday and leave Sunday's choice for a weather check. We arose to find the day dry and bright and drove down the few miles to Butterbridge, parking up at the layby before the road turns round the corner. On with winter boots for the first time this season - crampons in the bag too. I like this hill a lot - been up it twice before, always in winter conditions but never had I seen anything from the summit - hopefully today would be different. Across the valley, the graceful slopes of Beinn Ime glimmered in the sunshine. We followed the path up by rocky outcrops - made more challenging by thick ice coating the rocks. In places a wee bit of chipping with ice axe was helpful here.

River crossing - tricky with iced rocks
ImageP1110450 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Ime
ImageP1110452 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110455 by Al, on Flickr

Loch Restil
ImageP1110456 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110459 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110460 by Al, on Flickr

As we gained height the mountain appeared increasingly formidable - jagged black rocks stark against the snow. Mist and snowcloud started to form on the northern side of the hill, obscuring The Cobbler, whilst the southern view to Loch Goil was clear. We carefully picked our way along the icy path to the summit and sat having our lunch in the still air. We were surprised at our feast by Alex, who'd come up on her own. We chatted for a while then she went off to find a sheltered place for her own lunch. After a bit we supped up our coffee and turned around, putting on crampons to make the downward route a tad safer. We met a group of 6 walkers before catching up with Alex again and travelling together to the car - entertaining company.

ImageP1110463 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110464 by Al, on Flickr

Ime, Luibhean, Cobbler
ImageP1110465 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110467 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110468 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110470 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110471 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110473 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110477 by Al, on Flickr

by this time it was gone 2pm, later than I'd intended. Luibhean was still on the cards, as the schedule needed to be fulfilled, but Allison was flagging somewhat, smitten by some lurgy. When I'd done Luibhean I'd gone up from the east side - however, the western approach seemed shorter, if steeper, and nearer to our position. I drove the few hundred yards to the layby and we set off again - initially up to the transmitter beacon then up the fence line past the semi-derelict plantation. We thankfully didn't have too many trees to dodge between before we got onto clear hillside. The going was steep but straightforward and we followed the shoulder of the hill towards its apex. Across to the left was the bealach with Beinn Ime - with a bit more time available it would have been easy to nip up here too, but not today. We reached the summit rocks, with the minimalist cairn then descended by following our footsteps and arrived at the car just as the last light failed. A good day and two more of Allison's Corbetts done - just one behind me now.

Start up Luibhean
ImageP1110479 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110480 by Al, on Flickr

Lochain
ImageP1110481 by Al, on Flickr

bealach with Ime
ImageP1110482 by Al, on Flickr

Tiny summit
ImageP1110485 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110486 by Al, on Flickr

We drove back up to Ardlui and enjoyed a couple of pints by the logburner in the hotel before retreating to cook tea in the tent. What would tomorrow bring...?
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Arrochar Corbetts Catch Up

Postby Tomsie » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Great hill Beinn an Lochain, first time I saw deer in the Arrochar area was on the west side of this hill.
Not far to go now. :clap:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland