walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easians the Repeat

Easians the Repeat

Postby Tomsie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 21/11/2015

Time taken: 8.3 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Some snow had fallen in the last couple of weeks and the weather was looking good for the weekend, so an ideal time to tackle Stob a’Choire Mheadhoin & Stob Coire Easian, Enough snow to give the surrounding hills that winter look, but not to make the ascent/descent of Meall Cian Dearg to difficult.

We decided to head up Friday evening via Dalwhinnie as soon as Gill was finished work and stayed at the Àite Cruinnichidh hostel, giving us a good night’s sleep, unlike the last time I did these hills.

Which you can read the report here.http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28532

After we cooked and ate, we sat down with a small drink and talked about the route we would take and of course my previous walk on the Easians. Our route was to start at An Dubh Lochan, head up onto Creag Fhinaclach then head SW to Meall Cian Dearg and then follow WH route. If the weather changed, other options were the descent as in the SMC book into Coire Easian Beag and north from Coire Shomhairle, all set to go.

During the early morning around 3.00am the room was bright with stars shining through the Velux, just what was forecast and by 7.15am we were up and about making breakfast, sorting the bags, eyes smiling towards the windows as the sky was clear and the garden had a dusting of snow outside. After an hour we were heading up the A86 towards the Fersit turn off, the small road down was a bit icy but nothing to dangerous, as we crossed Inverlair bridge the river beneath was really rough, must have being the snow melting, as there had being no rain through the night. We parked just across from the small still An Dubh Lochan and as we got ready, you could hear the noise from the Inverlair Falls. The morning was cold as we started walking and the only other noise was the crunching of walking boots on a frozen track heading to The Easians.

1 (3).JPG

Soon we were at the gate and picked up the path heading SW on the broad ridge, probably after taking about twenty photos by this time.

1 (12).JPG

1 (14).JPG

It wasn’t until we were beneath Meall Chin dearg that the snow was getting a bit heavier but we could make out where the track was. Some small scramble sections here or hands needed at least for a pull up and a little icy in places. Soon we were above the nose and on another broad ridge heading towards Stob a’Choire Mheadhoin about 3k away. It was between the 808m and 773m points that looked familiar where I took cover up here last time, but couldn’t be 100%. As we walked the clouds came in and the views had gone, wind picked up a bit from the west and it had got a lot colder, our clothes were frozen and white on our right hand sides. But this didn’t dampen our spirits, only added to the fun. We had already decided before we got to the summit that if we don’t get views on Stob Coire Easain we would be back again in the summer, as if it was guaranteed we get them then.

1 (25).JPG

Around midday we reached the top, with the weather getting a little rougher and me silently hoping I don’t have another episode up here.

1 (30).JPG

Quick bite and a photo and off we went SW, picking our way down over the stones and finding the path, then losing it again. Soon we stood below Easian, steep, even steeper looking covered in snow. So we made our way diagonally up, zig zagging up the steep slope, by this time the cloud had shifted again in our favour and the wind dropped a bit.

1 (32).JPG

1 (34).JPG

Wasn’t long before I reached the summit cairn and the views everywhere were fantastic.

1 (46).JPG

015.JPG
Last time

I dropped my bag and took out the camera to go get a photo of Gill approaching, as she saw the cairn asked “Is that the top” a little surprised. Yes just a little under an hour for us to get here. Plenty of photos here and another bite to eat with some soup.

1 (53).JPG

We discussed following the SMC route once we got to the bealach, so away we went following our footprints back down the zigzag line. I stood at the small cairn to mark the way off into Coire Easian Beag and it looked a bit rough ground down below, and might even take longer than going up over the first Munro. Last time I stood here the cornice must have being about twenty foot wide.

1 (77).JPG

So up over Mheadhoin we went, which didn’t take long, snapping away back to Glen Coe and Bridge of Orchy hills.

1 (60).JPG

As we descended towards Meal Chin Dearg, Gills Morton's neuroma started playing up, the nose section was difficult for me going down, never mind having to deal with that pain, so a big well done trooper. We looked at the route heading east towards Loch Treig, but Gill felt it didn’t make a difference what the ground was like, it was going to be a slow walk off the hill. So we headed back towards our ascent route. Every now and then a screech and shout of pain from Gill, nothing I could do to help.

1 (79).JPG

Light was starting to fade so we donned the head torches and slowly made our way down, we met a fence and followed this along the old tramline back to the gate and ten minutes later we were back at the car.

1 (104).JPG

A great day out with fantastic views, it was time to head back to the bunkhouse and prepare for the next day on Chno Dearg.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: Easians the Repeat

Postby basscadet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Oh Poor Gill - that would of been sore :( Worth it for the day you had though - looked brilliant :clap:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby GillC » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:18 pm

:clap: :clap: summed it up nicely, especially like the way you played down the several hours of cursing and yelping that you had to endure :lol: but pain passes, and it was a great day boss. :clap: :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Silverhill » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 pm

I had to google Mortons neuroma. Poor Gill, that sounds painful. :(
You are now quits with these hills :wink: ! I love the almost monochrome pictures, they really capture the atmosphere of winter. 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Great report and photos - love the one of the pink sky behind the Bridge of Orchy hills. Poor Gill - I feel for her (no pun intended).
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:24 pm

That Morton's neuroma sounds horrible - well done to Gill for soldiering on! Looks like you had a terrific day despite that though. The 'Easains' are superb, especially in winter - and that looked like proper winter up there! I remember how steep the little nose on Meall Cian Dearg is, and that was just going up it. I came down the NW side of Easain, which was a very steep sheet of hard ice. The points of my crampons were rather blunt, which made the descent distinctly precarious. Cameron McNeish is about right when he says there's no such thing as winter walking on the Munros; it's mountaineering! Well done both. :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Tomsie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 am

basscadet wrote:Oh Poor Gill - that would of been sore :( Worth it for the day you had though - looked brilliant :clap:

It was good, great to eventually get views in this area over the weekend.

:D
Silverhill wrote:I had to google Mortons neuroma. Poor Gill, that sounds painful. :(
You are now quits with these hills :wink: ! I love the almost monochrome pictures, they really capture the atmosphere of winter. 8)

Couldn't stop taking photo's all day, absolutely stunning views.
Poor Gill was in a lot of pain, but she doesn't let pain get in her way, which she proved here
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21294

AnnieMacD wrote:Great report and photos - love the one of the pink sky behind the Bridge of Orchy hills. Poor Gill - I feel for her (no pun intended).

Thank you, hard to pick out which ones were best.

dav2930 wrote:That Morton's neuroma sounds horrible - well done to Gill for soldiering on! Looks like you had a terrific day despite that though. The 'Easains' are superb, especially in winter - and that looked like proper winter up there! I remember how steep the little nose on Meall Cian Dearg is, and that was just going up it. I came down the NW side of Easain, which was a very steep sheet of hard ice. The points of my crampons were rather blunt, which made the descent distinctly precarious. Cameron McNeish is about right when he says there's no such thing as winter walking on the Munros; it's mountaineering! Well done both. :clap:

Glad we didnt have to come down that nose the first time up there, or our rescue could have being more serious. :)
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Beautiful hills shown off by great photos. Full of admiration for Gill, that was some achievement :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Bet you could have done with that soup the first time :wink:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland