walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Ghluasaid, Sgurr nan Conbhairean, Sail Chaorainn

Carn Ghluasaid, Sgurr nan Conbhairean, Sail Chaorainn

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sàil Chaorainn, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 09/06/2015

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 16.9 km

Ascent: 1383m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn Ghluasaid, Sgurr nan Conbhairean and Sail Chaorainn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A later start today as it was well into the evening when I arrived at the hostel yesterday. Late arrivals eat into your evening, which eat into the night, and then eat into the morning. But with a shorter day today, all should be back to a more civilised time frame for tomorrow.
I parked at Lundie on the south side of the A87. Walked up the old road and then followed the track to the left. After a kilometer or so I turned right onto a path heading for An Cruachan, where it got quite boggy. But then the excellent stalkers path took over, first on a gentle rise and then steeper. Zigzags and the great views back to Loch Cluanie kept the going easy.

Loch Cluanie and the South Glen Shiel ridge

Once on the SW ridge the eye gets drawn to the south top, but the summit is further north at the edge of the plateau. On the summit I met another walker and we had a short chat.

Summit Carn Ghluasaid

Surprisingly craggy other side

We both made appreciative comments about the impressive north face and the wild corries of this hill. The view to Sgurr nan Conbhairean was not bad either. 8) As Carn Ghluasaid would be his only hill today, we said our goodbyes and I continued to Sgurr nan Conbhairean.
This is a very easy walk with very little height loss and even the ascent up pt. 998 is gentle. Compared to all this plain sailing the ascent to Sgurr nan Conbhairean was much steeper. My legs get lazy quickly!

Sgurr nan Conbhairean from pt. 998

On the summit I met a nice couple and their dog. They had just finished their lunch, vacated the wind shelter for me and went on their way to the next munro. With Sgurr nan Conbhairean being a good 150 meters higher than Carn Ghluasaid, it was much colder and windier here, so the short break in the shelter was lovely. Looking back to where I had come from Carn Ghluasaid didn’t seem to exist, but the view over the northern corries was magnificent.

Wild corries and Carn Ghluasaid hiding

A’ Chralaig and North Glen Shiel Ridge in the cloud

Onwards to Sail Chaorainn, which like Carn Ghluasaid wasn’t very distinguished from this high spot. There was a substantial cornice on the north ridge, but the path was snow free. Sure enough once on the bealach after a steep descent the munro materialised.

A munro is out there somewhere

It was very pleasant now with the sun coming out and much less wind. At the summit I met the nice couple and the dog again. This time we had a good chat.

Summit Sail Chaorainn

A’ Chralaig

The ascent back towards Sgurr nan Conbhairean wasn’t too bad actually. The path helped with the steepness. I took the bypass path below this hill and headed for Drochaid an Tuill Easaich. There was a strip of snow along the narrowest part of the SW ridge, but walking on it was not a problem. I traversed below Drochaid an Tuill Easaich and then continued south along the ridge. This was pleasant with the crags on the left.

Crags of Meall Breac

The Allt Coire Lair was crossed easily at the old military road, which I then followed eastwards along the fence, past the mast, back to the car. It had turned into a lovely warm afternoon now. Was summer finally on its way?

Looking back along the old military road
Last edited by Silverhill on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Carn Ghluasaid, Sgurr nan Conbhairean, Sail Chaorainn

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks for this report :D , I'm planning these three together with the two neighbours on a longer daylight...probably next Spring. Some nice photos and views :clap:
Maybe you forgot to tick the Munros into your report to connect the report to them ? :wink:

You did a lot of Mountains last Summer :clap: 8) :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Silverhill » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks Petr! :D I must say the NW ridge off the 1001 top looked very tasty! I hope you get good weather for your long trip. Thanks for pointing out that I forgot to tick the hills. Had some trouble uploading the report and forgot it the second time round. I suppose my tally is not bad given my limited time in the hills. However, I’m very envious of you venturing out so often!
Silverhill

Postby Riverman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:58 am

Great report. I enjoyed your photos. What a difference a week makes. I was on Ghluasaid on 1st of June just a few days before you, the first day of calendar 'summertime' in fresh falling snow and clag! Couldn't see a thing from the top but I was vaguely aware of the cavernous drop northwards from the summit! Hope to return for the other two in pleasanter conditions.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby Silverhill » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks riverman! :D I hope you get a better day for the remaining two, than you had on 1st June. I was on Cairn Gorm that day, no hint of summer there either! :wink:
Silverhill

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland