walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birthday Walk up Beinn Na lap

Birthday Walk up Beinn Na lap

Postby philiarana » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Route description: Beinn na Lap, from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 27/11/2015

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We got the train up from Glasgow My plan was to climb Beinn Na lap on my birthday and stay the night in the Loch Ossian hostel, then return home on Saturday.
DSC08799a.jpg
Corrour train station

DSC08801b.jpg
a bit damp

DSC08803c.jpg
Loch Ossian and beinn Na Lap

The weather forcast was horrendous, so I was happy to do as much or as little as we could.
mwis forecast (2) k.jpg
MWIS forecast

After dropping our bags off at the hostel, we started off accross the boggy ground. There was sleet coming in, but it wasn't that cold. We saw a lone stag on both the way up and down.
DSC08805d.jpg
stag

As we got higher, the sleet turned to snow and was settling on the ground, but it wasn't very thick. The clouds also started to clear and the views improved.
DSC08823e.jpg
Leum Uilleim

DSC08824f.jpg
Loch Ossian

We easily got to the summit cairn, but didn't hang about too long, as we were aware we should get lower in case the weather came in again.
DSC08836g.jpg
Summit of Beinn Na Lap

The clouds cleared further and had some blue sky and parts. When we got off the ridge onto lower ground, we sat down for the first time (we'd eaten something quickly while standing, on the way up) and took in the views.
DSC08839h.jpg
sun breaking through and Leum Uilleim

DSC08841i.jpg

We got back to the hostel some after 4pm before it got dark and just before it started snowing again.
DSC08843j.jpg
Loch Ossian at twilight

IMG_0367 l.jpg
Saturday morning leaving Loch Ossian and the Youth hostel
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by philiarana on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philiarana
Mountain Walker

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Birthday Walk up Beinn Na lap

Postby PerthAlly » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Good report and photos despite the weather :)

Is it a straight forward yomp? Kinda fancy Beinn na Lap but I'm waiting for the sun on my back.

I've become a snob about good weather in my old age :lol:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby philiarana » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:51 pm

It's probably one of the easiest munros you could do.... in summer you could easily get the train through, walk up and be back in time to catch the train home. Just beware the midges! :?
philiarana
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:21 pm

Nice. I did this in September while supervising a Gold Duke of Edinburgh group in the area. Still to fire the report up though. Had a cracking night in the hostel the night before as well. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Mike Reynolds » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:01 pm

Well done, you were certainly lucky with the weather given the forecast.

Beinn na Lap was my final Munro back in 2008. Specially picked as being (alledgedly) relatively straightforward and easy for the non climbing friends and family who were kind enough to keep me company and share the day. Also the the train journey, in our case from Bridge of Orchy, added to the sense of occasion, the Talisker helped too!
Mike Reynolds
Munro compleatist

Munros:198   Corbetts:65
Fionas:12   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:14 pm

A belated Happy Birthday and what a great way and place to celebrate it! The train journey and the remote setting of the hostel really must have made it a special occasion. 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby philiarana » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Silverhill wrote:A belated Happy Birthday and what a great way and place to celebrate it! The train journey and the remote setting of the hostel really must have made it a special occasion. 8)

philiarana
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland