walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wet, wild, windy Watson's and co

Wet, wild, windy Watson's and co

Postby The English Alpinist » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:24 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Clough Head, Glenridding Dodd, Great Dodd, Hart Side, Sheffield Pike, Stybarrow Dodd, Watson's Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Sheffield Pike, Stybarrow Dodd

Date walked: 27/11/2015

Time taken: 7.5

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1317m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Now one-sixth of the way through my quest to do the all the Wainwrights in the 5 months of winter. That''s another walk done, taking in 7 peaks, but I nearly didn't try it. A pretty grim day, high winds, not so bad at first but from late morning onward near incessant rain, trying its best to become snow, driving in horizontally. A bit scary along the tops, an elevated route but very obvious and safe paths. The thought of getting stranded up there was pretty horrible, though (quite a long way down from Great Dodd in any direction), but I was grateful those summits are easy (if very wet) walking and made better time than I expected. The damp got through everything in the end, even a £300 Goretex waterproof, but only by the time I was well on the way back along the Old Coach Road. Just about felt within physical comfort zones. Briefly got disorientated on Hart Side, which might have become a bigger setback if visibility hadn't returned for a moment to put me right. Otherwise no dramas, an efficient if grim day.

Most of the 'pleasure' was early on, up to Sheffield Pike - great views - but thereafter wild 'adventure satisfaction' only. A good little reminder that the 700m+ fells are no walk in the park in bad weather at this time of year. Fine if nothing goes wrong, but if it does, how long will clothing keep you protected? That's about the worst weather I'll go up in, unless its lower peaks. 100kph wind :crazy: together with 'moderate rain' forecast for 2 day's time when I was hoping to do some of the Far Eastern Fells (Wether Hill high point) - it's a no!

Update - now 'only' 65-70kph forecast, with moderate rain till midday. That's on the edge of tolerance, I'm going to go for it. Plenty of retreat points around Place Fell, Beda Fell and Steel Knotts, and nothing so high as the Dodds across the lake. Heck, I can quit after the titchy Hallin Hell if its unbearable.

Update 2: Gave it a miss after all!

Wether weather.JPG

2 up Dodd.JPG
Failed to find the little access path, but got this stylish old tree in foreground of Ullswater view instead!

4 Sheff rainbow xx.JPG
Glenridding Dodd with Sheffield Pike awaiting.

6 rainbow.JPG
Rainbows are two-a-penny in these parts!

10 Pike summit.JPG
On Sheffield Pike.

11 Stybarrow feet.JPG
The summit shelter on Stybarrow Dodd.

13 Watson thum.JPG
Thumbs down for conditions on Watson's Dodd

15 Clough mist.JPG
Clough Head, so close I could touch it.

16 Clough Head.JPG
The walk's climax, minus the views. Excellent pillar at least.

17 Coach.JPG
The Old Coach Road below, one of the most welcome sights of my fellwalking career.

19 happy.JPG
On the Old Coach Road, happy about it.

22 Ford.jpg
The unfordable ford on the Old Coach Road.

25 moody sheff.JPG
Glenridding Dodd & Sheffield Pike looking moody later afternoon as I come full circle.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Wet, wild, windy Watson's and co

Postby trailmasher » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:16 pm

A hell of a day to be out TEA :( but well done for persevering and getting a good few tops in :clap: . You couldn't have picked wider open spaces to walk in bad weather than you did.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby ChrisW » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Already 1/6th done, you're going to have to slow down TEA or you'll be done by Feb :lol: Great to see you still loving the hills on what was clearly a bloody miserable day :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby The English Alpinist » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:25 pm

ChrisW wrote:Already 1/6th done, you're going to have to slow down TEA or you'll be done by Feb :lol: Great to see you still loving the hills on what was clearly a bloody miserable day :clap: :clap:

I wish! I'm just about on schedule, and 'just about' enjoying it so far! Such an unspeakably dismal November it's been.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:36 am

'just about' enjoying it

I think otherwise..........in your shot 'Thumbs down for conditions on Watson's Dodd' I can clearly see in your one good eye that's not hammered by the weather, there's a glimmer of enjoyment :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby The English Alpinist » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:33 pm

ChrisW wrote:
'just about' enjoying it

I think otherwise..........in your shot 'Thumbs down for conditions on Watson's Dodd' I can clearly see in your one good eye that's not hammered by the weather, there's a glimmer of enjoyment :lol: :lol:

Ha! My spirits are restored! :clap:
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland