walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr nan Coireachan, Sgurr Thuilm

Postby Silverhill » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 12/06/2015

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 22.2 km

Ascent: 1611m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgurr nan Coireachan, Sgurr Thuilm.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Finally, all the catching up has been done. :roll:

Thursday 11 June
Walk in to Corryhully bothy
4.3km, 138m, 1h

After having packed my bag for an overnighter at the bothy, I set off from the car park at the entrance of Glen Finnan. It was a nice evening for walking. The sun was still out, the air was cool. There were lots of people about, who didn’t seem geared up for hill walking. Which made me wonder what they were up to. Then I hear the hoot of a steam train. Aha, it was a photo opportunity that had brought them here at this hour! I couldn’t resist taking a few pictures myself. :wink:

Perfect timing

Great piece of engineering

Half way up the glen a few deer were grazing and lazing on the other side of the river, without a care in the world. :D

Seeing deer always makes me happy

Glen Finnan and Sgurr nan Coireachan

The walk on tarmac went quickly and within the hour I arrived at Corryhully bothy, which is private and maintained by the Glenfinnan estate for the benefit of walkers. It is in really good condition and even has electricity!
Three others had already made themselves comfortable in the bothy. They turned out to be excellent company and the rest of the evening was spent merrily chatting.

Friday 12 June
17.9km, 1437m, 7h 30 min

When I left in the morning, the rest of the bothy was only just beginning to stir.
It promised to be another sunny day. Low cloud was rapidly clearing and the few wisps which were still around made for a very atmospheric walk.

Corryhully bothy in the morning

Allt a’ Choire Charmaig waterfall and pool, such a lovely spot

A sign helpfully shows where the path for Sgurr nan Coireachan leaves the track.

Handy sign and Druim Coire a’ Bheithe

The path stays on the side of the ridge for a while, but eventually moves up to the crest of the ridge.

Sgurr Thuilm emerging

Shadow selfie

Back towards Glenfinnan

The ridge of Sgurr a Choire Riabhaich is quite craggy and I didn’t see an obvious way up. I traversed below the crags to the NW and then picked up a steep path going north, emerging just below the 852m top.

Steep path

A bit further on I had a peek down an impressive gully. That would make for an interesting way up.

Steep gully

Sgurr nan Coireachan looked really near, but it was still half an hour’s walk over the easy going rocky terrain.

Almost there

The views from the summit were absolutely stunning!

Summit Sgurr nan Coireachan, looking towards Sgurr Thuilm

Loch Morar

Glendessarry munros and Knoydart munros at the far back

After a short break I continued towards Sgurr Thuilm. The route went over four knolls, so it was a lot of up and down effort. The ridge gave a good view of the way I had come up and I scanned the crest of the hill for the 3 walkers I had met in the bothy. They had planned to do both munros and then drop down Sgurr Thuilm’s NE ridge to Glen Pean. But there were only two walkers making their way up Sgurr nan Coireachan. Maybe there had been a change of plan.
The side of Sgurr a’ Choire Riabhaich looks truly awesome and the view of it kept me nicely entertained for most of the knolly ridge, as did the other views. 8)

Sgurr a’ Choire Riabhaich and Sgurr nan Coireachan

Glen Finnan

From the last col I headed for the south ridge of Sgurr Thuilm as the direct approach looked pretty steep. And there it was, the last munro of my holiday. Feeling a bit sad that this was it, I spent a long time on the summit just looking at the views.

Summit Sgurr Thuilm with Streap and Ben Nevis

Gulvain and Braigh nan Uamhachan

Sgurr nan Coireachan

View towards Glenfinnan, Loch Shiel

Loch Arkaig, Sgurr Mhurlagain and Fraoch Bheinn

I just didn’t want it to end, so I dragged my heels on the way down and the walk out. Luckily Druim Coire a’ Bheithe is a nice ridge and it made for a pleasant descent.

Glen Finnan

Sgurr a’ Choire Riabhaich and Sgurr nan Coireachan

Just across the bridge I met the first person of the day. A father who was enjoying the glen whilst his son was scrambling on some crags. We had a nice chat for a while . At the Allt a’ Choire Charmaig waterfall I filled my water bottles. This was such a lovely spot with the wee pool. Perfect for dipping my feet. An excellent excuse for more dawdling. :lol:

Lovely

Past the bothy I was stopped by the estate manager in his van, a nice chap. He asked how my day had been and if I had stayed in the bothy. I sang the praises of the bothy and thanked the estate for providing such a great facility. We had quite a long chat (more dawdling).
Then it was just a few more kilometers back to the car and I was already scheming how to return to the hills again soon.

Viaduct

Great timing again
Last edited by Silverhill on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Sgurr nan Coireachan, Sgurr Thuilm

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:27 pm

June again ? :D :wink: It seems to be your favorite and very productive walking month :D :clap: :clap: :clap:
Great photos and beautiful day 8)
I still need to do Sgurr nan Coireachan as I had not enough time to finish there - spent a lot of time to climb the Corbett Streap instead ( I wanted the views of the glen and the viaduct from the different angle ) and then only Sgurr Thuilm in snowy conditions:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50930

Well done again :clap: :clap: Really beautiful pics...
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby ere1 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi Silverhill! These pictures bring back some great memories. :)

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29916
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby Silverhill » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:June again ? :D :wink: It seems to be your favorite and very productive walking month :D :clap: :clap: :clap: Great photos and beautiful day 8)
I still need to do Sgurr nan Coireachan as I had not enough time to finish there - spent a lot of time to climb the Corbett Streap instead ( I wanted the views of the glen and the viaduct from the different angle ) and then only Sgurr Thuilm in snowy conditions.

Thanks Petr! :D Just read your report. That is some up and down and up you did for steep Streap and Sgurr Thuilm. Great pictures of the cold conditions though! 8)
Yep June is my munro month: the weather is more reliable. This June being the exception to the rule of course. :wink: If I lived a bit nearer, I would be able head for the hills at the drop of a hat, like you do. I’m very envious!

ere1 wrote:Hi Silverhill! These pictures bring back some great memories. :)

Hi ere1!
Just read your report. Funny how it looks completely different when you do the horseshoe the other way round. Good to see that you had some decent weather for these two!
Silverhill

Postby basscadet » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:14 am

You make it look so beautiful :) I did these two in horrific weather and then got a tummy bug and barely made it out.. I must revisit sometime! :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:59 pm

A great round this, experienced at its best in these conditions. We met the estate manager too - seemed in no hurry and happy to chat. Very pleasant guy. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Silverhill » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:56 pm

basscadet wrote:You make it look so beautiful :) I did these two in horrific weather and then got a tummy bug and barely made it out.. I must revisit sometime! :lol:

Thanks basscadet! :D Just read your report. That sounds like it was grim. Like you and Dougie I had planned to include Streap (and also Gulvain) in my trip, with a wild camp near/ on Streap. But the day before I was feeling quite rough and had to settle for just Gulvain. What on earth made me think it was a good idea to walk up Gulvain in the first place, I don’t know. It certainly was not my best day in the hills! :lol:

dogplodder wrote:A great round this, experienced at its best in these conditions. We met the estate manager too - seemed in no hurry and happy to chat. Very pleasant guy. :D

Thanks dogplodder! :D I couldn’t believe my luck to be walking in glorious sunshine for the third day in a row, after the erm ‘mixed’ weather I’d had. Yes, the estate manager seemed in no hurry, nor was I, so we had a long chat.
Silverhill

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland