walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CGCP - Loch Avon - Bynack More - Meall a' Bhuachaille

CGCP - Loch Avon - Bynack More - Meall a' Bhuachaille

Postby brocoli » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 02/11/2015

Time taken: 8.25 hours

Distance: 24.6 km

Ascent: 1502m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

bynack more.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hello all,
I just have to share the latest good weather in the Cairngorms, that's why I decided to write my first report :D

Being based in Inverness I had to get up at 05:00 to get the first bus to station, to get the first train to Aviemore, to get the first (the second actually) bus to the Cairn Gorm Car Park! I can't remember how often I've done this. But it's worth it.

Anyway, on the whole journey I got to admire the wonderful sunrise above the mountains. The last two days I was in the Cairngorms I was in the Braeriach area, so this time I wanted to see something else and headed to Bynack More.

I started at 07:50 at the car park and went up Fiacaill a' Choire Chais where I met the sun for the first time (08:50). Words cannot describe the amazingness of that late sunrise just below Cairn Gorm.

Enjoying the sun I went down Coire Raibeirt to reach Loch Avon at 09:45 (in the shade of Beinn Mheadhoin) where I stayed a little for breakfast, what a magical place! It was my third time at Loch Avon and it has become one of my favourite places in Scotland.

After breakfast I went along Loch Avon to get to The Saddle (10:25) and towards Bynack More where I arrived at 12:00, perfect for lunch time :)
There is a good path from the Saddle, though it peters out just below A' Choinneach. I wouldn't want to be here on a cloudy day. But as it was a perfect day I could see everything around me :)

I didn't bother climbing any Barn of Bynack as they aren't as impressive as the Barns of Beinn Mheadhoin. I think Bynack More is the little brother of Beinn Mheadhoin :)

I could now see the flat moor of the Water of Caiplich, it reminded me of Caithness. Could be nicknamed Caithness of the South? ;) As "boring" as the view was, I could still see the huge bulks of Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird. And Meall a' Bhuachaille came quickly into view.

I crossed the River Nethy footbridge at 13:35 and that was the only place with midges that day. The little lochs at Abernethy Reserve looked like bits of sky from all the way down so I wanted to have a closer look. There is a small path leading to Loch a' Gharbh-choire which had beautiful reflections! But don't take this path when it's wet, I think you would sink in the bog ;)

The path to Ryvoan Bothy was very busy which was kind of weird, as I'd met nobody yet, except someone on Bynack More and just below it. I decided to have a look at An Lochan Uaine which was well worth the detour (14:15).

As I still had time, I headed to Meall a' Bhuachaille to be rewarded by the early stage of the sunset above Loch Morlich. What a stunning view! Again, words cannot describe it.

I stayed 10 minutes at the summit before going down to Glenmore at 15:30. I wanted to reach the 16:10 bus to Aviemore, so I "ran" down ;) I was very lucky, just when I got to the road (at 16:10) the bus came to pick me up! Better yet, the 16:19 train to Inverness was late, so I could jump in just before the doors closed!

It was a perfect day out, definitely one of the best I had in the Cairngorms!!

PS.: I've got more photos (and a text in german ;) ) on my blog and two videos on Youtube if anyone is interested.

Photo time!

The Cairngorms from Aviemore Station.

Sunrise with Loch Morlich and Meall a' Bhuachaille on the right

Cairn Lochan, Braeriach, Sgor Gaoith and Sgoran Dubh (from left to right)

Meet the sun! Beinn Mheadhoin (left) and Loch Etchachan

Allt Coire Raibeirt

Loch Avon and Shelter Stone Crags

Looking towards the Saddle

Strath Nethy

Loch Avon and Ben Macdui in the distance

Featureless A' Choinneach

Last view of Loch Avon with Beinn Mheadhoin (left) and Ben Macdui in the distance

Ben Avon seen from A' Choinneach (really, no photo filters)

First proper view of Bynack More

Ground was wet for a wee bit (Bynack Beg on the left and Bynack More on the right)

Little Barns of Bynack

Barns of Bynack, wee Creag Mhor :) , Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird (left to right)

View from Bynack More towards Meall a' Bhuachaille and Abernethy Forest

View from Bynack More towards Beinn a' Chaorainn, Beinn Mheadhoin and Ben Macdui (left to right)

A turtle?

Coire Dubh and Meall a' Bhuachaille in the distance

Caithness of the South (Caiplich Water)

Little pieces of heaven

Bynack More and Bynack Beg

Meall a' Bhuachaille and Abernethy Forest

River Nethy and Bynack More

Loch a' Gharbh-choire

Loch a' Gharbh-choire

An Lochan Uaine

Looking back to Abernethy Forest

Ryvoan Pass with Bynack More (left) and Cairn Gorm (right)

Another piece of heaven on earth :)

Loch Morlich seen from Meall a' Bhuachaille

View from Meall a' Bhuachaille: even Ben Avon comes into view, Bynack More and Cairn Gorm (left to right)

Towards Glenmore with a glimpse of Bynack More (right)

Last view of Bynack More (left) and Cairn Gorm (right)

Hope you enjoyed it :)
brocoli
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Islands:3

Re: CGCP - Loch Avon - Bynack More - Meall a' Bhuachaille

Postby Silverhill » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:59 pm

You had good weather indeed, unbelievable!
Loch Avon is one of my favourite spots as well. I was there in less sunny conditions, but it still was magical. Thanks for bringing back good memories. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby brocoli » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:05 am

Silverhill wrote:You had good weather indeed, unbelievable!
Loch Avon is one of my favourite spots as well. I was there in less sunny conditions, but it still was magical. Thanks for bringing back good memories. :D

You're welcome :) I've got many, many more photos of sunny Loch Avon on my blog. Unfortunately it's only in german :?
brocoli
Munro compleatist

Postby PerthAlly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:18 am

Good report :clap:

That was a long day! Did a similar walk last year minus the excellent photos though.

I don't particularly care for the Cairngorms but I will admit there's plenty of walking.

Gut gemacht :D
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby brocoli » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:26 am

PerthAlly wrote:Good report :clap:

That was a long day! Did a similar walk last year minus the excellent photos though.

I don't particularly care for the Cairngorms but I will admit there's plenty of walking.

Gut gemacht :D

Thank you :) I know that there are many other places that may be prettier than the Cairngorms but without a car the Cairngorms are the best choice, especially in those short days. When the weather is that good as in the pictures, the colours are just amazing!

Btw, your german is very good (so far) :D
brocoli
Munro compleatist

Postby ilovescotty » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:07 pm

I love your photos of the pines they look great in the sunlight. Ryvoan Pass is a pretty spectacular place.
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby ilovescotty » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:13 pm

The last picture almost looks like some African Savannah!
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby brocoli » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:25 pm

ilovescotty wrote:I love your photos of the pines they look great in the sunlight. Ryvoan Pass is a pretty spectacular place.

Thanks :) Yes, amazing places all over the place :lol: The Cairngorms have everything except the sea.

ilovescotty wrote:The last picture almost looks like some African Savannah!

It does look a wee bit like it, I've never thought of this :wink:
brocoli
Munro compleatist

Postby PerthAlly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:20 pm

I spent time in Darmstadt in the early 90's. I can still remember some German however :D
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Postby brocoli » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Really? I lived in Darmstadt for nearly three years but I always hated this town. That's why I moved back to Frankfurt and to Scotland for 3.5 months :D
brocoli
Munro compleatist

Postby PerthAlly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:13 pm

It was over 20 years ago so I've forgotten what it was like. Plus I was always working so saw little of the area.

I was young and daft so we would head up to Frankfurt and pour lots of lovely German beer down our necks :lol:

I loved Heidelberg. Trier and Koblenz were fine too. Heading to Munster in March. I was there 5 years ago and looking forward to that trip.
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland