walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn nam Ban

Beinn nam Ban

Postby litljortindan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:48 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn nam Ban

Date walked: 14/12/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 350m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Iffy road so later start than I'd have liked and, so, a shorter walk than intended but I really enjoyed my couple of hours here.
The drive over was a bit dispiriting with little suggestion that there would be gaps in the cloud. However, once past the end of Loch Glascarnoch there were bits of blue and gleaming white visible on the horizon. Keep going then, I thought.
My original plan had been a second visit to Beinn Ghobhlach but as time was pressing and I'd been there in winter before I opted instead for Beinn nam Ban. This would also be a second visit but the previous occasion had been in summer.
The ground was frozen hard so I donned microspikes before setting off. Fairly easy going until I got to the first of a series of crags that either have to be bypassed or searched for weaknesses. Fortunately there is a enough variation for this to be entertaining rather than stressful and, whilst this hill isn't the grandest, the views, weather and dusting of snow combined to make for a great wee walk.
On the way down, near the bottom, the sun had thawed the ground and I managed to dunk my feet in very cold bog.
Noted apologetic sounding CCTV warning signs on the Badrallach road "CCTV due to sheep rustling".

Sail Mhor

houses north of Ullapool

Sail Mhor again

Rhue

An Teallach looking a bit grim

view south along the Badrallach road

Sgurr Mor?

Ben Dearg?

not a day for An Teallach

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Beinn nam Ban

Postby Silverhill » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Wow this hill has a great effort-reward ratio. Those views are stunning! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Beinn nam Ban

Postby litljortindan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Silverhill wrote:Wow this hill has a great effort-reward ratio. Those views are stunning! 8)

Very scenic surroundings along the road in too.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland